Login or Sign Up

Global Forums > General > Questions about starting e-commerce

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Questions about starting e-commerce

Hi!

I want to start an e-commerce (online retail) in the next few months. I am able to set up a top-notch website with good products, but I am quite ignorant of all other aspects of running an e-commerce, starting with billing. 

B I L L I N G

What do I need to do to accept online payments? Is that something my bank can help me out with?

What types of payments should I accept (credit card, debit card, PayPal, or wire transfer?)

How long does it take for say credit card payments to clear? I've been told it can take months for the money to be transferred to you, minus fees.

L O G I S T I C S

I am able to send items domestically to Switzerland, but I want to ship worldwide (particularly Europe and the U.S.) I am aware that most countries have their own custom rules and import taxes, what do I need to look out for? I do not want items to be stuck at the border for 2 weeks, and get an additional 20% import tax. 

Thank you all! And if you have any other tips please let me know!

The text you are quoting:

Hi!

I want to start an e-commerce (online retail) in the next few months. I am able to set up a top-notch website with good products, but I am quite ignorant of all other aspects of running an e-commerce, starting with billing. 

B I L L I N G

What do I need to do to accept online payments? Is that something my bank can help me out with?

What types of payments should I accept (credit card, debit card, PayPal, or wire transfer?)

How long does it take for say credit card payments to clear? I've been told it can take months for the money to be transferred to you, minus fees.

L O G I S T I C S

I am able to send items domestically to Switzerland, but I want to ship worldwide (particularly Europe and the U.S.) I am aware that most countries have their own custom rules and import taxes, what do I need to look out for? I do not want items to be stuck at the border for 2 weeks, and get an additional 20% import tax. 

Thank you all! And if you have any other tips please let me know!

Nicolas LNov 2, 2011 @ 16:31
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

7 Replies | 2491 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Questions about starting e-commerce
Post 1

Thanks, please see my replies below in blue:

1) Well, I have the news for you that taxes gonna play an important part in your business depending on the delivery terms used.

You mean income taxes, or the VAT attached to cross border deals?

2) Legal responsibility for the products - you also should think about that as there are distance sellig issues...

As far as I know they are protected by the manuacturer for a limited time. I'll have to send them back there for repair/exchange. 

So depending on your real market, you will need a professional tax/legal advice to manage this.

Depends on volume. I will start small and them include more and more items and markets. 

All the on-line, global retailers I know have investigated their set ups, they run tax teams to handle their deliveries and work with international forwarding agents...

Makes sense. 

Thanks. 

Thanks, please see my replies below in blue:

1) Well, I have the news for you that taxes gonna play an important part in your business depending on the delivery terms used.

You mean income taxes, or the VAT attached to cross border deals?

2) Legal responsibility for the products - you also should think about that as there are distance sellig issues...

As far as I know they are protected by the manuacturer for a limited time. I'll have to send them back there for repair/exchange. 

So depending on your real market, you will need a professional tax/legal advice to manage this.

Depends on volume. I will start small and them include more and more items and markets. 

All the on-line, global retailers I know have investigated their set ups, they run tax teams to handle their deliveries and work with international forwarding agents...

Makes sense. 

Thanks. 

Nicolas L, Nov 2, 2011 @ 18:15
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

In an ideal world, I would be able to hire a bunch of tax advisors/lawyers/freight forwarders who would charge me insane amounts of money, but the reality is, I am not able to justify this type of expense at this time. 

I'll have to start small and learn as I move along. No one is going to notice small, meaningless, under the radar transactions for a while. Things can pick up pretty quickly

In an ideal world, I would be able to hire a bunch of tax advisors/lawyers/freight forwarders who would charge me insane amounts of money, but the reality is, I am not able to justify this type of expense at this time. 

I'll have to start small and learn as I move along. No one is going to notice small, meaningless, under the radar transactions for a while. Things can pick up pretty quickly

Nicolas L, Nov 2, 2011 @ 20:00
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

For payment, have a look at Paypal; they can handle creditcard processing and stuff like that for you. I don't know details but have a look at their website.

For logistics, the Swiss Post service should be able to do that for you. It depends a bit what quantities you're sending what they'll offer, but ask them or go to the website to learn more.

For payment, have a look at Paypal; they can handle creditcard processing and stuff like that for you. I don't know details but have a look at their website.

For logistics, the Swiss Post service should be able to do that for you. It depends a bit what quantities you're sending what they'll offer, but ask them or go to the website to learn more.

Edward B, Nov 2, 2011 @ 20:31
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

> No one is going to notice small, meaningless, under the radar transactions for a while.

Unless they read Glocals forums...

On the other hand, have you considered the possibility of starting making yourself a name by becoming a eBay or Amazon seller?  The ocean of e-commerce is full of big fish, and is difficult to survive being a little one.

Good luck. ;)

> No one is going to notice small, meaningless, under the radar transactions for a while.

Unless they read Glocals forums...

On the other hand, have you considered the possibility of starting making yourself a name by becoming a eBay or Amazon seller?  The ocean of e-commerce is full of big fish, and is difficult to survive being a little one.

Good luck. ;)

TheOmegaMan, Nov 2, 2011 @ 21:54
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5

NIcolas, 

I run glocals.com and our sister site www.Buyclub.ch. For BuyClub, we had to deal with online billing (not with shipping tho). Contact www.datatrans.ch - they'll help you understand the process and costs. As a general range for planning, take into account that ca 5% of what you charge online will go to cover the billing costs. 

Nir

NIcolas, 

I run glocals.com and our sister site www.Buyclub.ch. For BuyClub, we had to deal with online billing (not with shipping tho). Contact www.datatrans.ch - they'll help you understand the process and costs. As a general range for planning, take into account that ca 5% of what you charge online will go to cover the billing costs. 

Nir

Nir Ofek, Nov 2, 2011 @ 23:48
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6

Thank you Anna for these tips!

I looked into PayPal as well and it looks like it could be a good fit, considering it's in use internationally. 

Thank you Anna for these tips!

I looked into PayPal as well and it looks like it could be a good fit, considering it's in use internationally. 

Nicolas L, Nov 3, 2011 @ 14:40
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 7

Jan 1, 70 01:00

Woah, Anna I think I'm going to hire you when cash flow allows it ;)

I used to sell discounted, ultra high-end bicycle parts as a teenager, and am pretty familiar with shipping rates / warranties etc.. The items I am planning to sell are very small (watches) for this very reason, since they have a relatively high value in comparison to weight/volume. Also, packaging is generally protecting the items well, but the largest threat is theft (or buyers who pretend  to never having received it).

Also, labelling some items as 'gifts' can save you a lot of time and money at the border, for some reason..I found out Smile

Woah, Anna I think I'm going to hire you when cash flow allows it ;)

I used to sell discounted, ultra high-end bicycle parts as a teenager, and am pretty familiar with shipping rates / warranties etc.. The items I am planning to sell are very small (watches) for this very reason, since they have a relatively high value in comparison to weight/volume. Also, packaging is generally protecting the items well, but the largest threat is theft (or buyers who pretend  to never having received it).

Also, labelling some items as 'gifts' can save you a lot of time and money at the border, for some reason..I found out Smile

Nicolas L, Nov 3, 2011 @ 18:24
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
7 Replies | 2491 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form