Login or Sign Up

Global Forums > General > Residence Permit/Apartment Questions - Canadian in Switzerland with B Permit

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Residence Permit/Apartment Questions - Canadian in Switzerland with B Permit

Hello everyone, I am a Canadian who recently moved to Switzerland on a fixed-term contract with UEFA which currently ends on 31 July (Note that this could potentially change a little, extending to either August/September based on responsibilities, and inevitably there is also always the possibility of a completely new contract before the end).

I recently received my B Permit (Autorisation de Séjour) through the appropriate paperwork and it seems to expire on the date that I entered Switzerland (aka one year later). At the same time, I am also looking and trying to secure myself an apartment. It seems for apartments there are many that have 1 year contracts, but considering the fact that I will most likely be working until August/September, it would make sense for the lease contract to be longer.

I have the following questions:

1) When I renew my B Permit as a Third State National (Canadian aka Non-EU/EFTA), will that permit be extended for another year regardless of my contract? If not, most likely when will it end?

2) Should an employment contract expire and not be extended/renewed, as a Third State National (Canadian), am I forced to vacate the country immediately or am I given sufficient time to seek out further employment? I have heard chatter on this group about claiming unemployment, am I able to do this until I find another contract?

3) I am about to sign a 2-year lease contract with an apartment, but I am starting to have second thoughts as I’m wondering whether it will be difficult for me to find a solvent tenant to get out of it (should I not be able to extend my work contract). If I’m not forced to leave the country, then I’m not too worried as I can live in the apartment as unemployed until I find a new or another contract, but I think the biggest concern for me is being forced to leave the country, but be liable for an entire year following the expiry of my contract. The apartment is located in a very good area below the train station in Lausanne at a very competitive price.

How easy is it to find a solvent tenant to present to the Regie? Do you think I’m overthinking this apartment situation?

Apologies for all the questions, but I’m having trouble finding the appropriate answers online.

Thank you in advance for your knowledge and advice!

The text you are quoting:

Hello everyone, I am a Canadian who recently moved to Switzerland on a fixed-term contract with UEFA which currently ends on 31 July (Note that this could potentially change a little, extending to either August/September based on responsibilities, and inevitably there is also always the possibility of a completely new contract before the end).

I recently received my B Permit (Autorisation de Séjour) through the appropriate paperwork and it seems to expire on the date that I entered Switzerland (aka one year later). At the same time, I am also looking and trying to secure myself an apartment. It seems for apartments there are many that have 1 year contracts, but considering the fact that I will most likely be working until August/September, it would make sense for the lease contract to be longer.

I have the following questions:

1) When I renew my B Permit as a Third State National (Canadian aka Non-EU/EFTA), will that permit be extended for another year regardless of my contract? If not, most likely when will it end?

2) Should an employment contract expire and not be extended/renewed, as a Third State National (Canadian), am I forced to vacate the country immediately or am I given sufficient time to seek out further employment? I have heard chatter on this group about claiming unemployment, am I able to do this until I find another contract?

3) I am about to sign a 2-year lease contract with an apartment, but I am starting to have second thoughts as I’m wondering whether it will be difficult for me to find a solvent tenant to get out of it (should I not be able to extend my work contract). If I’m not forced to leave the country, then I’m not too worried as I can live in the apartment as unemployed until I find a new or another contract, but I think the biggest concern for me is being forced to leave the country, but be liable for an entire year following the expiry of my contract. The apartment is located in a very good area below the train station in Lausanne at a very competitive price.

How easy is it to find a solvent tenant to present to the Regie? Do you think I’m overthinking this apartment situation?

Apologies for all the questions, but I’m having trouble finding the appropriate answers online.

Thank you in advance for your knowledge and advice!

Ryan KozakMay 23, 2019 @ 06:08
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

0 Replies | 504 Views      |  Send to friend

No replies posted yet.
0 Replies | 504 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form