Login or Sign Up

Global Forums > General > Smoking in Switzerland

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Smoking in Switzerland

I noticed that there are a large amount of people that smoke over here, what is the legal age of smoking you see all sorts of people smoking from kids to people smoking outside their business’ front door.

Also I was wondering, does Nyon have a canabis drug problem? I seem to get a potent smell when I walk around at weekends?

Please do not get me wrong I have nothing against anyone who smokes as long as it’s not blown in my face Smile

The text you are quoting:

I noticed that there are a large amount of people that smoke over here, what is the legal age of smoking you see all sorts of people smoking from kids to people smoking outside their business’ front door.

Also I was wondering, does Nyon have a canabis drug problem? I seem to get a potent smell when I walk around at weekends?

Please do not get me wrong I have nothing against anyone who smokes as long as it’s not blown in my face Smile

Emma AllenFeb 5, 2014 @ 17:30
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

34 Replies | 7850 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Smoking in Switzerland
Post 1

Feb 5, 14 17:30

Legal age is 16... and yes there is a huge amount of smokers here... cannabis is almost legal in Switzerland, and readily available (if youre into it) ... wait till you go to a concert...

Legal age is 16... and yes there is a huge amount of smokers here... cannabis is almost legal in Switzerland, and readily available (if youre into it) ... wait till you go to a concert...

Charlie, Feb 5, 2014 @ 17:45
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

I agree Emma there is a HUGE amount of people smoke here. What I have noticed is the high number of women and young girls. It is almost becoming the situation in Australia now (Melbourne at least )that it is just about illegal to smoke in public. Can't see the Europens liking that !

I agree Emma there is a HUGE amount of people smoke here. What I have noticed is the high number of women and young girls. It is almost becoming the situation in Australia now (Melbourne at least )that it is just about illegal to smoke in public. Can't see the Europens liking that !

Jeffery S, Feb 5, 2014 @ 18:36
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

Well you pays the mandatory medical insurance, may as well use it!

Recently at the smoking area at my office the number of e-cig smokers has outnumbered the traditional smokers.

I've never noticed the smell of weed in Nyon i must say.. But I'm not usually out at the hip places :)

Well you pays the mandatory medical insurance, may as well use it!

Recently at the smoking area at my office the number of e-cig smokers has outnumbered the traditional smokers.

I've never noticed the smell of weed in Nyon i must say.. But I'm not usually out at the hip places :)

John H, Feb 5, 2014 @ 18:43
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

Regarding cannabis each canton has different regulations more or less strict. For about the entire year 2012 it has been legal for citizens in Vaud and Geneva to grow  up to 4 plants for personal use but is has since been revoked. The possession and sale of drugs including cannabis is illegal and punishable. The plant itself however can be bought and grown for decorational purposes (!)

Then there is the federal law on drugs which has loophole that says production of minimal quantities of narcotics for personal or third party use (no sale) is not punishable.

Among these discrepancies the smoking is florishing.

DISCLAIMER: I don't smoke anything and I don't encourage other people to do, but I don't care if they do unless they are in my face in which case there will be repercussions.

Regarding cannabis each canton has different regulations more or less strict. For about the entire year 2012 it has been legal for citizens in Vaud and Geneva to grow  up to 4 plants for personal use but is has since been revoked. The possession and sale of drugs including cannabis is illegal and punishable. The plant itself however can be bought and grown for decorational purposes (!)

Then there is the federal law on drugs which has loophole that says production of minimal quantities of narcotics for personal or third party use (no sale) is not punishable.

Among these discrepancies the smoking is florishing.

DISCLAIMER: I don't smoke anything and I don't encourage other people to do, but I don't care if they do unless they are in my face in which case there will be repercussions.

catalin, Feb 5, 2014 @ 20:40
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5

Netherlands has had legal smoking of canabis for a very long time and the rate of smoking it there is much lower than any of the surrounding countries. I have been around in Nyon for the past 4 years and I cant say I have been confronted by the smell of it much at all, I wonder where you hang out.

Netherlands has had legal smoking of canabis for a very long time and the rate of smoking it there is much lower than any of the surrounding countries. I have been around in Nyon for the past 4 years and I cant say I have been confronted by the smell of it much at all, I wonder where you hang out.

ThomasNL, Feb 5, 2014 @ 22:28
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6

Feb 5, 14 22:28

That would explain why the dutch are so... high.

That would explain why the dutch are so... high.

catalin, Feb 5, 2014 @ 22:37
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 7

@Emma Allen: it is STILL legal to smoke, thus what is your issue?

Karin E, Feb 6, 2014 @ 00:31
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 8

Feb 6, 14 00:31

I think all Emma was doing was purely making an observation. No need to be so abrupt about it ..

I think all Emma was doing was purely making an observation. No need to be so abrupt about it ..

Jeffery S, Feb 6, 2014 @ 12:40
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 9

I live on the ground floor, and there is an old Swiss lady in the appartment above who feeds the birds. Not sure where she sources the birdseed from but there are quite often Marijuana plants growing in the flowerbed beneath that window.

I live on the ground floor, and there is an old Swiss lady in the appartment above who feeds the birds. Not sure where she sources the birdseed from but there are quite often Marijuana plants growing in the flowerbed beneath that window.

Richard H, Feb 6, 2014 @ 12:43
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 10

As an Australian the high smoking rate in Europe is one of the first things I noticed when we moved to Geneva. In Australia, it has been illegal to smoke inside public buildings for more than 20 years. In the last few years the laws have been tightened significantly, you now cannot smoke within 100m of a public building or doorway. All hospital and school grounds are smoke free. You can't smoke in restaurants, and in Canberra even if the restaurant has an outdoor area smoking it is forbidden. As a non-smoker, I have really struggled in Geneva - even just waiting at the bus stop can be a problem with groups of people smoking while they wait. I've been pleased to see the growing number of e-cigs and that they are freely available in Europe - in Australia they are very rarely seen.

Personally, I think if someone wants to smoke and risk developing cancer, coronary artery disease, hypertension and all of the other health problems associated with it, then that's their problem. But I strongly object to being exposed to it myself simply because I am walking behind them on the footpath, waiting next to them at a bus stop or sitting at a restaurant table.

As an Australian the high smoking rate in Europe is one of the first things I noticed when we moved to Geneva. In Australia, it has been illegal to smoke inside public buildings for more than 20 years. In the last few years the laws have been tightened significantly, you now cannot smoke within 100m of a public building or doorway. All hospital and school grounds are smoke free. You can't smoke in restaurants, and in Canberra even if the restaurant has an outdoor area smoking it is forbidden. As a non-smoker, I have really struggled in Geneva - even just waiting at the bus stop can be a problem with groups of people smoking while they wait. I've been pleased to see the growing number of e-cigs and that they are freely available in Europe - in Australia they are very rarely seen.

Personally, I think if someone wants to smoke and risk developing cancer, coronary artery disease, hypertension and all of the other health problems associated with it, then that's their problem. But I strongly object to being exposed to it myself simply because I am walking behind them on the footpath, waiting next to them at a bus stop or sitting at a restaurant table.

Juliane S, Feb 6, 2014 @ 12:53
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 11

Jan 1, 70 01:00

clearly you missing the health implications of smoke (primary or secondary) to understand this thread. There is a reason every country is moving towards a smoke free environment.

'Stinky and dirty' people cant kill you from their mere presence...thats just being judgemental

clearly you missing the health implications of smoke (primary or secondary) to understand this thread. There is a reason every country is moving towards a smoke free environment.

'Stinky and dirty' people cant kill you from their mere presence...thats just being judgemental

Dhamari N, Feb 6, 2014 @ 13:12
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 12

Jan 1, 70 01:00

oh Flying Spaghetti Monster, not this line of argument again...

Why should we compain about theft, when there is still murder and worse around? Thiefs could also complain about murders, and they would be right to do so, but that would make their line of work not any better.

I am not equating smokers with thiefs, just trying to show, why your argument is invalid and shouldn't be used.

oh Flying Spaghetti Monster, not this line of argument again...

Why should we compain about theft, when there is still murder and worse around? Thiefs could also complain about murders, and they would be right to do so, but that would make their line of work not any better.

I am not equating smokers with thiefs, just trying to show, why your argument is invalid and shouldn't be used.

Alan S, Feb 6, 2014 @ 13:15
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 13

Feb 6, 14 12:43

Fancy stitching up a little old Swiss lady !!! Enjoy your crop ....

Fancy stitching up a little old Swiss lady !!! Enjoy your crop ....

Jeffery S, Feb 6, 2014 @ 13:23
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 14

@Jeffery: Everyone is entitled to post on this forum so please do not tell me how to write and not to write.

@Jeffery: Everyone is entitled to post on this forum so please do not tell me how to write and not to write.

Karin E, Feb 6, 2014 @ 13:40
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 15

yep. I am happy to admit that I am judgemental about smokers who put me at risk through exposing me to passive smoking. I don't throw rubbish around at bus stops, and am not 'stinky or dirty.' Last time I looked at the research there was nothing to say that I could get cancer by being next to a piec of paper thrown on the ground! but there is plenty of evidence of the risk of passive smoking. I am an oncology nurse, I see first hand the horrific head and neck and lung cancers every day, and I don't want to be one of those people thank you!

yep. I am happy to admit that I am judgemental about smokers who put me at risk through exposing me to passive smoking. I don't throw rubbish around at bus stops, and am not 'stinky or dirty.' Last time I looked at the research there was nothing to say that I could get cancer by being next to a piec of paper thrown on the ground! but there is plenty of evidence of the risk of passive smoking. I am an oncology nurse, I see first hand the horrific head and neck and lung cancers every day, and I don't want to be one of those people thank you!

Juliane S, Feb 6, 2014 @ 13:35
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 16

Feb 6, 14 13:40

You can write whatever you please but why not do it in a friendly and non confrontational way ??

Have a nice day.

You can write whatever you please but why not do it in a friendly and non confrontational way ??

Have a nice day.

Jeffery S, Feb 6, 2014 @ 13:57
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 17

I'm sorry if this sounds a bit rough, but when it comes to smoking, I really encourage smoker discrimination!  Meaning, I'm not standing next to them, I'm not walking behind them, I'm not sitting outdoors drinking a coffee next to a smoker as long as they are puffing smoke all over the place.  Cigarettes are killers traveling in packs.

I just find it interesting that even considering the high cost of health insurance and doctors in this country, people still go and buy those darn things.  And they are such good sellers too!  Just yesterday while paying for fuel at the gas station, I noticed the wall behind the counter was entirely full with nothing else but cigarettes!  I get the impression that cigarette companies are trying to make up for the sales lost in North America, Australia, and other countries that have promoted non-smoking habits.  But like they say, one cigarette per day keeps the doctor with pay. Wink

I'm sorry if this sounds a bit rough, but when it comes to smoking, I really encourage smoker discrimination!  Meaning, I'm not standing next to them, I'm not walking behind them, I'm not sitting outdoors drinking a coffee next to a smoker as long as they are puffing smoke all over the place.  Cigarettes are killers traveling in packs.

I just find it interesting that even considering the high cost of health insurance and doctors in this country, people still go and buy those darn things.  And they are such good sellers too!  Just yesterday while paying for fuel at the gas station, I noticed the wall behind the counter was entirely full with nothing else but cigarettes!  I get the impression that cigarette companies are trying to make up for the sales lost in North America, Australia, and other countries that have promoted non-smoking habits.  But like they say, one cigarette per day keeps the doctor with pay. Wink

Jean-Jacques B, Feb 6, 2014 @ 13:40
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 18

Cannot agree more with Juliane. If you take a train, it is even worse!  Not only smokers are everywhere around you, but also they litter cigarette butts everywhere. I don’t know why a “clean” country like CH allows such behavior.

Smokers in CH should learn from smokers in Tokyo.  The smokers there smoke their cigarettes in a defined area in the street (not like smoking areas annexed to your working place, but in the free-air street!). In this case, one doesn’t have to passively smoke on the footpath.

Don’t take me wrong, I am not against anyone who smokes in the street. Keep your freedom to smoke, but just think about not to bother other pedestrians with you smokeWink, that is not too much demanded, I guess?

Cannot agree more with Juliane. If you take a train, it is even worse!  Not only smokers are everywhere around you, but also they litter cigarette butts everywhere. I don’t know why a “clean” country like CH allows such behavior.

Smokers in CH should learn from smokers in Tokyo.  The smokers there smoke their cigarettes in a defined area in the street (not like smoking areas annexed to your working place, but in the free-air street!). In this case, one doesn’t have to passively smoke on the footpath.

Don’t take me wrong, I am not against anyone who smokes in the street. Keep your freedom to smoke, but just think about not to bother other pedestrians with you smokeWink, that is not too much demanded, I guess?

Jimmy123, Feb 6, 2014 @ 13:08
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 19

Smokers in CH should learn from smokers in Tokyo.  The smokers smoke their cigarettes in a defined area in the street (not like smoking areas annexed to your working place, but in the street!). In this case, one doesn’t have to passively smoke on the footpath.

Don’t take me wrong, I am not against anyone who smokes in the street. Keep your freedom to smoke, but just think about not to bother other pedestrians with you smoke J, that is not too much demanded, I guess?

Smokers in CH should learn from smokers in Tokyo.  The smokers smoke their cigarettes in a defined area in the street (not like smoking areas annexed to your working place, but in the street!). In this case, one doesn’t have to passively smoke on the footpath.

Don’t take me wrong, I am not against anyone who smokes in the street. Keep your freedom to smoke, but just think about not to bother other pedestrians with you smoke J, that is not too much demanded, I guess?

Jimmy123, Feb 6, 2014 @ 14:42
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 20

Youre all free to hold your breath when you pass me on the street when I am smoking....

youre welcome.

Youre all free to hold your breath when you pass me on the street when I am smoking....

youre welcome.

Charlie, Feb 6, 2014 @ 14:55
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 21

People can know other people by learning small details like how people think and how to treat different situations ...  

Wow, what an elegant and generous solution to share cancer promoting agent! –> I am the center of the world, no one else exists. 

People can know other people by learning small details like how people think and how to treat different situations ...  

Wow, what an elegant and generous solution to share cancer promoting agent! –> I am the center of the world, no one else exists. 

Jimmy123, Feb 6, 2014 @ 15:11
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 22

I smoke outside... I dont try and inflict my habits or views on anyone... so please stop worrying about my health and inflicting your views on me... free country free choice...

I smoke outside... I dont try and inflict my habits or views on anyone... so please stop worrying about my health and inflicting your views on me... free country free choice...

Charlie, Feb 6, 2014 @ 15:39
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 23

Can I just point out that I said I DO NOT have a problem with smokers, I was just stating that its differnt then from where I was from and wanted to know about what Switzerland was like. Its a shame there are people likeLegalkitty who just go on the attack and dont read the full post.

Can I just point out that I said I DO NOT have a problem with smokers, I was just stating that its differnt then from where I was from and wanted to know about what Switzerland was like. Its a shame there are people likeLegalkitty who just go on the attack and dont read the full post.

Emma Allen, Feb 6, 2014 @ 15:40
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 24

Feb 6, 14 15:40

Don't take it personally, you will find similar posts on most of the forums today. There can't be much going on in the feline judicial business today.

Don't take it personally, you will find similar posts on most of the forums today. There can't be much going on in the feline judicial business today.

Richard H, Feb 6, 2014 @ 15:48
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 25

Please don’t take comments personally. No one is imposing anything on anybody.

But one’s freedom should not be built on another one’s sacrifice of freedom (freedom to breathe clean air). If this point of view is agreed, we are on the same side, although I will be away to the other side if some smoke is aroundSmile.

Non-smokers do worry about their own health. But honestly, smokers give job opportunities to the society (workers of anti-cancer and anti-cardiovascular drugs, cancer research funds, healthcare givers including nurses and doctors/oncologists...).  

But one’s freedom should not be built on another one’s sacrifice of freedom (freedom to breathe clean air). If this point of view is agreed, we are on the same side, although I will be away to the other side if some smoke is aroundSmile.

Non-smokers do worry about their own health. But honestly, smokers give job opportunities to the society (workers of anti-cancer and anti-cardiovascular drugs, cancer research funds, healthcare givers including nurses and doctors/oncologists...).  

Jimmy123, Feb 6, 2014 @ 15:56
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 26

Feb 6, 14 15:56

Which side of the street do you go to when a truck or bus comes by pumping out diesel fumes? 

Which side of the street do you go to when a truck or bus comes by pumping out diesel fumes? 

Kevin M, Feb 6, 2014 @ 16:14
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 27

Feb 6, 14 16:14

It must be a foreign truck, so it depends which side the nearest police station is on to go and report it.

It must be a foreign truck, so it depends which side the nearest police station is on to go and report it.

Richard H, Feb 6, 2014 @ 16:20
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 28

Feb 6, 14 15:48

You are on fire today Richard !! Giving up smoking made me cranky to !!

You are on fire today Richard !! Giving up smoking made me cranky to !!

Jeffery S, Feb 6, 2014 @ 16:29
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 29

The only smoking I ever did was the type demonstrated by this Nun:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=po0nqgrzWyE

The only smoking I ever did was the type demonstrated by this Nun:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=po0nqgrzWyE

Richard H, Feb 6, 2014 @ 16:33
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 30

And in countries where breast-feeding has stopped, more smoking will automatically be there. That's why the West smokes more than the East -- because no mother is ready to give her breast to the child because the shape is lost. So smoking is increasing more and more; even small children are smoking.

http://oshobytes.blogspot.in/2008/05/smoking-and-breastfeeding.html

And in countries where breast-feeding has stopped, more smoking will automatically be there. That's why the West smokes more than the East -- because no mother is ready to give her breast to the child because the shape is lost. So smoking is increasing more and more; even small children are smoking.

http://oshobytes.blogspot.in/2008/05/smoking-and-breastfeeding.html

Durgesh K, Feb 6, 2014 @ 19:29
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 31

Feb 5, 14 17:30

I totally agree with the OP... there are far too many smokers in Switzerland. I come from Australia which has some of the strictest anti-smoking laws in the world, so it was (and still is) a huge shock for me. In Australia hardly anyone smokes anymore. In Australia its even illegal to smoke outside in areas with people. 

In Switzerland the worst is when you're waiting at a train station and some inconsiderate person decides to light up next to you and blow smoke in your face. 

Where are you from Emma? 

Here is a video some of you may find amusing:

I totally agree with the OP... there are far too many smokers in Switzerland. I come from Australia which has some of the strictest anti-smoking laws in the world, so it was (and still is) a huge shock for me. In Australia hardly anyone smokes anymore. In Australia its even illegal to smoke outside in areas with people. 

In Switzerland the worst is when you're waiting at a train station and some inconsiderate person decides to light up next to you and blow smoke in your face. 

Where are you from Emma? 

Here is a video some of you may find amusing:

Michael S, Feb 6, 2014 @ 20:29
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 32

Nick L, Feb 6, 2014 @ 21:54
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 33

A traditional swiss breakfast...

A traditional swiss breakfast...

Michael S, Feb 7, 2014 @ 17:53
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 34

the age of smoking is variable from country to another, if it's 16 in Switerland, the world age is not under than 18, thanks

the age of smoking is variable from country to another, if it's 16 in Switerland, the world age is not under than 18, thanks

Amigo Costa, Mar 22, 2014 @ 21:04
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
34 Replies | 7850 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form