Login or Sign Up

Global Forums > General > Smoking in Switzerland

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Smoking in Switzerland
Hi everyone!

I was just reading the threat about smoking-free venues for activities.

I was just wondering, since Switzerland is going and coming with this non smoking law, what actually smokers and non smokers feels about the regulation. what did you feel like in Geneva during the few weeks the ban was imposed, and what are the trends in Zurich and Lausanne as well.

Do you start to use things like e-cigarettes, or just smoke less?

What is the attitude towards smoking now: is it still 'cool'?

Do you think more about your health and other's health?

What other things do you use to get a similar effect that nicotine gives (ways to relaxing, concentrate, indulge)? Any drinks, rituals, etc?

Do you become regular to smoking or non-smoking places only? or are you flexible?

Looking forward to hear from you!
The text you are quoting:
Hi everyone!

I was just wondering, since Switzerland is going and coming with this non smoking law, what actually smokers and non smokers feels about the regulation. what did you feel like in Geneva during the few weeks the ban was imposed, and what are the trends in Zurich and Lausanne as well.

What other things do you use to get a similar effect that nicotine gives (ways to relaxing, concentrate, indulge)? Any drinks, rituals, etc?

Do you become regular to smoking or non-smoking places only? or are you flexible?

Looking forward to hear from you!
CarolinaRBDec 11, 2008 @ 16:41
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

10 Replies | 1272 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Smoking in Switzerland
Post 1
[quote]Hi everyone!

Looking forward to hear from you![/quote]

Hi there,

I for one am really looking forward to a smoke free Geneva. I was thrilled when they banned it but because it happened over summer, the people who smoked were outside anyway. Now it is winter and us non smokers are suffering again.

I don't think it is cool in answer to one of your question but disgusting springs to mind! but I have to be flexible at the moment. I guess it depends on how long we have to endure the agony before I do actually limit myself to smoke free places.

My issue with smoking is health and the fact that I reluctantly passive smoke. I rarely meet considerate smokers and often feel smoke being blown at me rather than away from me :-/

A hot topic you have chosen !

Pie

[quote]Hi everyone!

Looking forward to hear from you![/quote]

Hi there,

I for one am really looking forward to a smoke free Geneva. I was thrilled when they banned it but because it happened over summer, the people who smoked were outside anyway. Now it is winter and us non smokers are suffering again.

I don't think it is cool in answer to one of your question but disgusting springs to mind! but I have to be flexible at the moment. I guess it depends on how long we have to endure the agony before I do actually limit myself to smoke free places.

My issue with smoking is health and the fact that I reluctantly passive smoke. I rarely meet considerate smokers and often feel smoke being blown at me rather than away from me :-/

A hot topic you have chosen !

Pie

pie39, Dec 11, 2008 @ 19:32
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2
I prefer taking a deep breath behind a diesel bus. It makes me feel back at home!
I prefer taking a deep breath behind a diesel bus. It makes me feel back at home!
fishintree, Dec 11, 2008 @ 20:10
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3
Hi - as a former smoker (40 plus a day) I see both sides of this argument - however - at the risk of being a pariah I think a ban on smoking is crazy and have seen this in France, Ireland, UK, Germany (if more than 70 SQM) room and USA with more countries following.

I think if bars or restaurants want to ban smoking fair enough, but this should be down to the proprietors discretion. There are of course health considerations for smokers and non-smokers alike but this is an area where government should not interfere...surely there are more important issues on which local, regional and national governments could spend their time (and our money).
Hi - as a former smoker (40 plus a day) I see both sides of this argument - however - at the risk of being a pariah I think a ban on smoking is crazy and have seen this in France, Ireland, UK, Germany (if more than 70 SQM) room and USA with more countries following.

I think if bars or restaurants want to ban smoking fair enough, but this should be down to the proprietors discretion. There are of course health considerations for smokers and non-smokers alike but this is an area where government should not interfere...surely there are more important issues on which local, regional and national governments could spend their time (and our money).
nickpenn, Dec 11, 2008 @ 21:46
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4
Hi all. Thanks for your answers..

It is a hot topic indeed!

I am also looking forward to a smoking free geneva. I agree the government is not 100% responsible, and I don't think it will work if it is up to the owners only. If they are smokers.. then the place sure it will be. Also because everyone thinks that a smoke-free place is not a good business as a smoking place.

I was out with 10 friends in Geneva last friday and we tried 3 bars that we run away from because of the smoke. It is indeed so disgusting, unhealthy and far from cool, I think is more a matter of respect to each other.

On top of lousy wine and drinks at crazy price, if we have to stand the smoke is so unattractive to go out!

I was wondering what happen if all of us non-smokers stop going to smoking places -bars and restaurants??
Hi all. Thanks for your answers..

It is a hot topic indeed!

I am also looking forward to a smoking free geneva. I agree the government is not 100% responsible, and I don't think it will work if it is up to the owners only. If they are smokers.. then the place sure it will be. Also because everyone thinks that a smoke-free place is not a good business as a smoking place.

I was out with 10 friends in Geneva last friday and we tried 3 bars that we run away from because of the smoke. It is indeed so disgusting, unhealthy and far from cool, I think is more a matter of respect to each other.

On top of lousy wine and drinks at crazy price, if we have to stand the smoke is so unattractive to go out!

I was wondering what happen if all of us non-smokers stop going to smoking places -bars and restaurants??

CarolinaRB, Dec 14, 2008 @ 18:51
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5
Check  www.amge.ch , there is a list of all the non-smoking restaurants and cafes in Geneva.

I also hope that smoking will again been strictly forbidden in restaurants very soon...

Check  www.amge.ch , there is a list of all the non-smoking restaurants and cafes in Geneva.

I also hope that smoking will again been strictly forbidden in restaurants very soon...

timalden, Dec 14, 2008 @ 22:50

Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6
Here are two lists of non-smoking bars, restos and discos in Geneva:
A bit overlapping, but the lists contain well over a hundred and fifty different places - and are steadily getting longer!
Here are two lists of non-smoking bars, restos and discos in Geneva:
A bit overlapping, but the lists contain well over a hundred and fifty different places - and are steadily getting longer!

haegar, Dec 15, 2008 @ 02:45
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 7
I'm watching this with growing amusement....approx 1/3 of the pubs in the UK have closer or are closing as a result (According to the publicans association) of the smoking ban introduced. The smokers in UK (the further away from London you go) are now staying at home rather than going to pubs....the result...fewer bars...will be interested to see if the draconian approach suggested has the same impact here...
I'm watching this with growing amusement....approx 1/3 of the pubs in the UK have closer or are closing as a result (According to the publicans association) of the smoking ban introduced. The smokers in UK (the further away from London you go) are now staying at home rather than going to pubs....the result...fewer bars...will be interested to see if the draconian approach suggested has the same impact here...
nickpenn, Dec 15, 2008 @ 09:27
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 8

Hi, this is a little late - but does anyone know the legislation regarding flat-share regarding smoking? Thanks

Hi, this is a little late - but does anyone know the legislation regarding flat-share regarding smoking? Thanks

Liz Palmer, Apr 7, 2011 @ 08:20
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 9

Hope it help ...

Hope it help ...

Medicis, Apr 7, 2011 @ 08:55
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 10

I do believe there should be freedom of establishments to allow smoking on the premises and those who wish not to patronise the place may choose not to do so.  I dislike walking through town having to pass through the cigarette smoke of those 'forced' outside.  That said I also dislike passing by people with an overwhelming amount of perfume/eau du cologne on and I'm not at all happy with all the pollutants in the air from cars, industry and nuclear accidents.  There are ways to avoid the smokers and perfumers and one can hold one's breath but with air pollutants I can't hold my breath that long.

I do believe there should be freedom of establishments to allow smoking on the premises and those who wish not to patronise the place may choose not to do so.  I dislike walking through town having to pass through the cigarette smoke of those 'forced' outside.  That said I also dislike passing by people with an overwhelming amount of perfume/eau du cologne on and I'm not at all happy with all the pollutants in the air from cars, industry and nuclear accidents.  There are ways to avoid the smokers and perfumers and one can hold one's breath but with air pollutants I can't hold my breath that long.

Marksist, Apr 7, 2011 @ 11:43
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
10 Replies | 1272 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form