Login or Sign Up

Global Forums > General > Swiss Photography Laws

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Swiss Photography Laws
Curious if anyone can point me in the proper direction for the laws for shooting in public places. I was at Stadelholfen (sp?) with my camera, tripod, flash and remotes set up waiting for my girlfriend to surprise her with a rose when she got off the train.

I was approached by two un-armed security guards and strong armed out of the place and forced all the way across the street. Even after explaining to them in as nice of a manner as I could as what I was doing, along with my photography business cards, and all my I.D.s. All the while teenagers are taking pictures with their cell phones on the same property.

I'm not too excited about this and would like to find the laws so I am better prepared in the future.

Aloha,

Brandon
The text you are quoting:
Curious if anyone can point me in the proper direction for the laws for shooting in public places. I was at Stadelholfen (sp?) with my camera, tripod, flash and remotes set up waiting for my girlfriend to surprise her with a rose when she got off the train.

I was approached by two un-armed security guards and strong armed out of the place and forced all the way across the street. Even after explaining to them in as nice of a manner as I could as what I was doing, along with my photography business cards, and all my I.D.s. All the while teenagers are taking pictures with their cell phones on the same property.

I'm not too excited about this and would like to find the laws so I am better prepared in the future.

Aloha,

Brandon
BrandonApr 2, 2009 @ 21:10
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

3 Replies | 3836 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Swiss Photography Laws
Post 1
You were taking pictures in Bahnhof Stadelhofen, then?

SBB (as well as Deutsche Bahn and probably most other non-Mickey-Mouse railway in the world) would like you to apply officially if you take photos or film on their grounds.

Because compact digital cameras are so ubiquitous and everybody has got a camera within the phone, I imagine they only pick out people whom they consider "pros".

DSLRs with and without tripod probably qualify for that designation.

Read about it here:

http://mct.sbb.ch/mct/en/konzern_dienstleistungen/konzern_film-fotoaufnahmen.htm?=

In addition, SBB owns the ground and can permit or deny access to their grounds mostly at will (also true in most other countries of the world, I'd say).

You were taking pictures in Bahnhof Stadelhofen, then?

SBB (as well as Deutsche Bahn and probably most other non-Mickey-Mouse railway in the world) would like you to apply officially if you take photos or film on their grounds.

Because compact digital cameras are so ubiquitous and everybody has got a camera within the phone, I imagine they only pick out people whom they consider "pros".

DSLRs with and without tripod probably qualify for that designation.

Read about it here:

http://mct.sbb.ch/mct/en/konzern_dienstleistungen/konzern_film-fotoaufnahmen.htm?=

In addition, SBB owns the ground and can permit or deny access to their grounds mostly at will (also true in most other countries of the world, I'd say).

rainer_d, Apr 5, 2009 @ 23:41
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

Well there is a difference between snapping a shot with a small camera or phone and installing the tripod and other pro material. Acting as a professionnal you need to ask for proper authorizations to shoot in train stations.

I admit that if I would have been a passenger on that train, coming out right before or after your friend and being greeted with such an equipment, I really would not have liked it at all!

Next time, scale down ont the material and make it more discreet. Switzerland, like many places in Europe, prefers low key and discreetion.

Well there is a difference between snapping a shot with a small camera or phone and installing the tripod and other pro material. Acting as a professionnal you need to ask for proper authorizations to shoot in train stations.

I admit that if I would have been a passenger on that train, coming out right before or after your friend and being greeted with such an equipment, I really would not have liked it at all!

Next time, scale down ont the material and make it more discreet. Switzerland, like many places in Europe, prefers low key and discreetion.
Fdauphin, Apr 6, 2009 @ 13:06

Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3
I suggest using monopod if you plan for a long exposure. But not sure why you would need long exposure for the scene you described with a modern DSLR..

In any case, if you HAVE to use a stabilizer, monopods are always less scary for the security guys and you can get away with it even in museums where lighting is indeed a problem.

Cheers
I suggest using monopod if you plan for a long exposure. But not sure why you would need long exposure for the scene you described with a modern DSLR..

In any case, if you HAVE to use a stabilizer, monopods are always less scary for the security guys and you can get away with it even in museums where lighting is indeed a problem.

Cheers
Rasputin, Apr 6, 2009 @ 16:01
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
3 Replies | 3836 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form