Login or Sign Up

Global Forums > General > The Local Survey

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
The Local Survey

Once again, being fairly public-spirited, decided to answer the pop-up survey request on The Local. Dutifully filled in all the sections up to and until the box appeared "what is your income", at which point, shut the blerry thing down.

None of their business, or anyone else's for that matter. Fed up with being expected to answer our "net worth" or whatever other terminology used!!!

The text you are quoting:

Once again, being fairly public-spirited, decided to answer the pop-up survey request on The Local. Dutifully filled in all the sections up to and until the box appeared "what is your income", at which point, shut the blerry thing down.

None of their business, or anyone else's for that matter. Fed up with being expected to answer our "net worth" or whatever other terminology used!!!

sheila cMay 7, 2019 @ 18:26
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

4 Replies | 683 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: The Local Survey
Post 1

That is something very usual to ask in a survey. It's a question that is almost always there with age, education, etc. It's to be able to sort the results according to various parameters. What's so weird about it? It's not as if they were singling you out.

That is something very usual to ask in a survey. It's a question that is almost always there with age, education, etc. It's to be able to sort the results according to various parameters. What's so weird about it? It's not as if they were singling you out.

justine f, May 8, 2019 @ 12:19
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

Simply because it is none of their business - not relevant to the final results of the survey

Simply because it is none of their business - not relevant to the final results of the survey

sheila c, May 8, 2019 @ 13:00
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

May 8, 19 13:00

I guess the survey author disagreed with you about the relevance of the question to their survey, otherwise they wouldn't have put it in the survey

I guess the survey author disagreed with you about the relevance of the question to their survey, otherwise they wouldn't have put it in the survey

Nir Ofek, May 8, 2019 @ 18:56
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

Hi Sheila, I went to "The Local.ch" and indeed the survey popped up after a few seconds. I completed most of it, but got fed up almost at the end and exited it. It is pretty clearly intended to get a survey of readers, starting by forming a demographic picture of those answering the survey and then get information from us as to what content we like, what we would like to see more of, etc.

The question on your income, expressed in brackets, was the 8th (h) question, and the survey goes on with many more questions. In fact, I doubt that you can really complete it in 5 minutes, as they claim at the beginning.

I think you did right to shut it down if the question regarding your income bothered you. Whether it was because you disagree on its relevance, or because of privacy concerns: you replied to it anonimously, of course, but I am sure a cookie was placed on your browser, so that future ad content that pops up may reflect the profile they built on you.

So, the reason for their trying to get that information from you is either to tailor the ads you will see, fitting them to your socio-economic consumer profile, or else to analyze and filter the results of the survey for, again, lucrative purposes. Probably for both reasons. In the latter case, that means that they will listen to the content suggestions and preferences of those with a higher income, as they constitute the preferred market for their advertisers.

So, given the nature of the survey, I would think in this case it was a relevant question, but I think there are legitimate reasons for you to refuse to provide the information.

Hope this helps.

Hi Sheila, I went to "The Local.ch" and indeed the survey popped up after a few seconds. I completed most of it, but got fed up almost at the end and exited it. It is pretty clearly intended to get a survey of readers, starting by forming a demographic picture of those answering the survey and then get information from us as to what content we like, what we would like to see more of, etc.

The question on your income, expressed in brackets, was the 8th (h) question, and the survey goes on with many more questions. In fact, I doubt that you can really complete it in 5 minutes, as they claim at the beginning.

I think you did right to shut it down if the question regarding your income bothered you. Whether it was because you disagree on its relevance, or because of privacy concerns: you replied to it anonimously, of course, but I am sure a cookie was placed on your browser, so that future ad content that pops up may reflect the profile they built on you.

So, the reason for their trying to get that information from you is either to tailor the ads you will see, fitting them to your socio-economic consumer profile, or else to analyze and filter the results of the survey for, again, lucrative purposes. Probably for both reasons. In the latter case, that means that they will listen to the content suggestions and preferences of those with a higher income, as they constitute the preferred market for their advertisers.

So, given the nature of the survey, I would think in this case it was a relevant question, but I think there are legitimate reasons for you to refuse to provide the information.

Hope this helps.

JR M, May 9, 2019 @ 17:52
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
4 Replies | 683 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form