Login or Sign Up

Global Forums > General > The Trials of US Immigration

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
The Trials of US Immigration
Did anybody see an old american film called Deliverance?

I haven’t, and for a good reason, because I’ve heard the stories. The flinch that occurs on a guy’s face anytime the movie is mentioned in polite conversation taught me long ago that it probably wasn’t a movie for me, and it is not likely I will be going out of my way to see it anytime soon.
I feel the same way about US immigration, especially after just returning from a trip to New York. The horror stories continue to make the global rounds with increasing regularity, begging the question… “why do they hate us?” Like a person who’s seen a movie ten times, when I go to America I tend to find myself thinking, “how long will it take this time”, as they bend over to pat my thighs with a snarl and a thick baton.

If you’ve been to America lately you’ll know what I mean. It’s not really the strip searches, barking dogs, obese immigration officers, funny smells or lack of decent interior lighting. It’s the arrogance. It seems that just because you are a foreigner they are doing you a big favour by letting you in for a few days. Some officials must fear every single person that comes through is seeking asylum, trying to escape a horde of Tutsi’s in their own country intent on hacking off a limb. Yet, I venture that this is categorically not so. Many people come simply for the Bagels, apple pie, and the sale at bloomingdales.

It is understandable, even necessary with the events of the last several years, that America’s borders should be on guard. We all should be ever vigilant from the veiled threat of terrorism, lurking just behind the next German tourist. But like the rest of us, they could at least be polite about it in an attempt to keep the moral high ground. Sure, these officials have lots of stress, and they have to deal with many tired travellers upon entry and exit of this great land of opportunity. And they probably don’t get many coffee breaks and have to take their meals from fast food counters and need a raise. This is lamentable. But many of us have stress, need raises and eat from fast food stalls and I don’t see the rest of the population being quite so cranky.

I think it’s a power thing. It is no coincidence that America’s Fastest Growing Company is a maker of airport x-ray machines.

But it starts with the forms. There are many forms you can choose, starting with a DS-156 or DS -157, moving to, I am not kidding an A-1 or A-2, to a G1 through 4 or a NATO -1. Or 2. Or three through seven. And or a Tecro E-1. Figuring out which is which is bad enough, but do not, kind sir, make a mistake on that form, as someone i heard of. The immigration officer asked him if he was retarded. He replied no. The guy narrowly avoided leg shackles and a cavity search for being “insolent” when he implied that the officer might have been a little rude.

In addition to the forms, there are the lines. Why JFK, which sees millions of passengers a year, insists on keeping only half the lanes open during peak times is a mystery to me. especially as it appears to still be a construction zone with stained carpet. These are not the first things a visitor should see when they visit the world’s richest country – lines of unemployment candidates in a sweeping arch of bureaucratic incompetence.

This blatant contempt of those without a blue passport featuring an eagle on the cover hits full stride at the questioning point of the arrivals process. It is here where the full compassionate conservatism of the current US ethos unfurls in a patriotic display of human big-brotherhood. “Where are you from?”, “Why do you speak English so well if you are italian?”, “How long you stay in Manhattan?” “Why are you going there?” “What did you eat for breakfast last Tuesday?” “Have you killed anyone since last entering the United States?” “Give us that chocolate.” It’s not really the questions, it’s the tone.

What’s ironic is that the very people standing in line, being treated like a nuisance by the welcoming faces of America are the same people bankrolling the country. With the dollar dropping and their deficit thing exploding, Americans are honking at the hand that feeds them: without foreign countries and currencies buying dollars, the country would be officially bankrupt, devoid of the thing that keeps the country humming – OPM – other people’s money. Also, the math is simple, 3% of the world’s peoples live inside the United States, while 97% live outside. Being a bit nicer to the other 97% who want to spend money on hot dogs, Abercrombie & Fitch, and generally fill the streets with incomprehensible foreign babble can’t be hurting that account deficit. I can see the PR campaign now, Drop the Debt, Smile at Arrivals. Or not.

Surprisingly, I don’t think most immigration officers are aware of this balance of trade power, and if they were, I’m not sure it would make much difference. Maybe the DOD should e-mark funds for Starbucks to run a training course in customer service, reminding them that every immigration face is an average of $1,500 to the local economy. That would change things a bit. Maybe they could even serve you a frappucino while they frisk you.

For tips on getting through easily the next time you hit the States, check out: http://www.foreignborn.com, unfortunately i only found out about this site only today.
The text you are quoting:
Did anybody see an old american film called Deliverance?

I haven’t, and for a good reason, because I’ve heard the stories. The flinch that occurs on a guy’s face anytime the movie is mentioned in polite conversation taught me long ago that it probably wasn’t a movie for me, and it is not likely I will be going out of my way to see it anytime soon.
I feel the same way about US immigration, especially after just returning from a trip to New York. The horror stories continue to make the global rounds with increasing regularity, begging the question… “why do they hate us?” Like a person who’s seen a movie ten times, when I go to America I tend to find myself thinking, “how long will it take this time”, as they bend over to pat my thighs with a snarl and a thick baton.

If you’ve been to America lately you’ll know what I mean. It’s not really the strip searches, barking dogs, obese immigration officers, funny smells or lack of decent interior lighting. It’s the arrogance. It seems that just because you are a foreigner they are doing you a big favour by letting you in for a few days. Some officials must fear every single person that comes through is seeking asylum, trying to escape a horde of Tutsi’s in their own country intent on hacking off a limb. Yet, I venture that this is categorically not so. Many people come simply for the Bagels, apple pie, and the sale at bloomingdales.

It is understandable, even necessary with the events of the last several years, that America’s borders should be on guard. We all should be ever vigilant from the veiled threat of terrorism, lurking just behind the next German tourist. But like the rest of us, they could at least be polite about it in an attempt to keep the moral high ground. Sure, these officials have lots of stress, and they have to deal with many tired travellers upon entry and exit of this great land of opportunity. And they probably don’t get many coffee breaks and have to take their meals from fast food counters and need a raise. This is lamentable. But many of us have stress, need raises and eat from fast food stalls and I don’t see the rest of the population being quite so cranky.

I think it’s a power thing. It is no coincidence that America’s Fastest Growing Company is a maker of airport x-ray machines.

But it starts with the forms. There are many forms you can choose, starting with a DS-156 or DS -157, moving to, I am not kidding an A-1 or A-2, to a G1 through 4 or a NATO -1. Or 2. Or three through seven. And or a Tecro E-1. Figuring out which is which is bad enough, but do not, kind sir, make a mistake on that form, as someone i heard of. The immigration officer asked him if he was retarded. He replied no. The guy narrowly avoided leg shackles and a cavity search for being “insolent” when he implied that the officer might have been a little rude.

In addition to the forms, there are the lines. Why JFK, which sees millions of passengers a year, insists on keeping only half the lanes open during peak times is a mystery to me. especially as it appears to still be a construction zone with stained carpet. These are not the first things a visitor should see when they visit the world’s richest country – lines of unemployment candidates in a sweeping arch of bureaucratic incompetence.

This blatant contempt of those without a blue passport featuring an eagle on the cover hits full stride at the questioning point of the arrivals process. It is here where the full compassionate conservatism of the current US ethos unfurls in a patriotic display of human big-brotherhood. “Where are you from?”, “Why do you speak English so well if you are italian?”, “How long you stay in Manhattan?” “Why are you going there?” “What did you eat for breakfast last Tuesday?” “Have you killed anyone since last entering the United States?” “Give us that chocolate.” It’s not really the questions, it’s the tone.

What’s ironic is that the very people standing in line, being treated like a nuisance by the welcoming faces of America are the same people bankrolling the country. With the dollar dropping and their deficit thing exploding, Americans are honking at the hand that feeds them: without foreign countries and currencies buying dollars, the country would be officially bankrupt, devoid of the thing that keeps the country humming – OPM – other people’s money. Also, the math is simple, 3% of the world’s peoples live inside the United States, while 97% live outside. Being a bit nicer to the other 97% who want to spend money on hot dogs, Abercrombie & Fitch, and generally fill the streets with incomprehensible foreign babble can’t be hurting that account deficit. I can see the PR campaign now, Drop the Debt, Smile at Arrivals. Or not.

Surprisingly, I don’t think most immigration officers are aware of this balance of trade power, and if they were, I’m not sure it would make much difference. Maybe the DOD should e-mark funds for Starbucks to run a training course in customer service, reminding them that every immigration face is an average of $1,500 to the local economy. That would change things a bit. Maybe they could even serve you a frappucino while they frisk you.

For tips on getting through easily the next time you hit the States, check out: http://www.foreignborn.com, unfortunately i only found out about this site only today.
LucaFeb 16, 2006 @ 17:43
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

9 Replies | 1047 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: The Trials of US Immigration
Post 1
Even if I didn't know where you had gone, I would have guessed that you arrived in NY. There is an appearance of rudeness in the behavior of New Yorkers. Having met and worked with them, I know that many are actually not rude and don't intend to be rude. It's just part of the culture to behave in a way that seems rude or even hateful to most of us.

On top of that, you have the process which is not convenient, guys on power trips, and the other things that you mentioned. I'm sure it's not a pleasant experience.

When I returned to the US in the past I would get "Welcome Home, Mr. Dixon." Those days are gone even for US citizens.

When I went home a few months ago, I was harrasssed by the Security in the Geneva airport. They were very concerned by the fact that I was travelling to the US for 6 weeks without checking any bags. They asked "Why don't you have any bags to check?","Where will you stay in the US?", "Do you realize it's unusual to go away for 6 weeks with no baggage?", "Who will you stay with?", "What do they do for a living?", "Do you have clothes there?" and about 10 other questions. Then they got their supervisor who asked the same questions and some more about what I was doing in Geneva and where i worked and lived. I finally promised "not to go naked in the streets" before they let me get my boarding pass.

I once spent an hour in immigration in Australia being given the 3rd degree.

In another country, I was required to "give a gift" to the officer upon arrival before being allowed to enter on a valid visa.

What surprised me when travelling to other countries, including Switzerland, is the need for me to provide my passport when checking into a hotel. In the US, once I am allowed into the country, I am who I say I am. I am not required to provide a passport or identification to stay in a hotel. If I want to check into a hotel as "John Smith", I can.

By the way, why is your English so good if you're Italian? ;-)
Even if I didn't know where you had gone, I would have guessed that you arrived in NY. There is an appearance of rudeness in the behavior of New Yorkers. Having met and worked with them, I know that many are actually not rude and don't intend to be rude. It's just part of the culture to behave in a way that seems rude or even hateful to most of us.

On top of that, you have the process which is not convenient, guys on power trips, and the other things that you mentioned. I'm sure it's not a pleasant experience.

When I returned to the US in the past I would get "Welcome Home, Mr. Dixon." Those days are gone even for US citizens.

When I went home a few months ago, I was harrasssed by the Security in the Geneva airport. They were very concerned by the fact that I was travelling to the US for 6 weeks without checking any bags. They asked "Why don't you have any bags to check?","Where will you stay in the US?", "Do you realize it's unusual to go away for 6 weeks with no baggage?", "Who will you stay with?", "What do they do for a living?", "Do you have clothes there?" and about 10 other questions. Then they got their supervisor who asked the same questions and some more about what I was doing in Geneva and where i worked and lived. I finally promised "not to go naked in the streets" before they let me get my boarding pass.

I once spent an hour in immigration in Australia being given the 3rd degree.

In another country, I was required to "give a gift" to the officer upon arrival before being allowed to enter on a valid visa.

What surprised me when travelling to other countries, including Switzerland, is the need for me to provide my passport when checking into a hotel. In the US, once I am allowed into the country, I am who I say I am. I am not required to provide a passport or identification to stay in a hotel. If I want to check into a hotel as "John Smith", I can.

By the way, why is your English so good if you're Italian? ;-)
Double_D, Feb 16, 2006 @ 19:42
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2
...I find the security too lax. In the past 2 years I've flown to/from Canada and the US about a dozen times. Not once has a European immigration officer asked me what I'm doing in Europe. They often don't even open my passport!

Leaving Europe is another story. I have a French work permit and I have gotten more questions and hassle from the airport staff when leaving France then any time I have landed back in Europe.

Most times I fly into Detroit (DTW) and it's never a pleasant experience. As a Canadian the immigration portion goes pretty smoothly, but then there's the wait for your bags and the _long_ line for customs.

It seems to me the attitude of immigration officials should be somewhere between the US hard-ass and the European laissez-faire approach.
...I find the security too lax. In the past 2 years I've flown to/from Canada and the US about a dozen times. Not once has a European immigration officer asked me what I'm doing in Europe. They often don't even open my passport!

Leaving Europe is another story. I have a French work permit and I have gotten more questions and hassle from the airport staff when leaving France then any time I have landed back in Europe.

Most times I fly into Detroit (DTW) and it's never a pleasant experience. As a Canadian the immigration portion goes pretty smoothly, but then there's the wait for your bags and the _long_ line for customs.

It seems to me the attitude of immigration officials should be somewhere between the US hard-ass and the European laissez-faire approach.
mrbeau, Feb 17, 2006 @ 16:53
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3
I'm used to travel to US since I was a kid, but it seems that the fear of immigrantion and the paranoia with terrorism changed the things quite a bit.

All the Brazilians who wants to get a tourist visa have to pass an interview (no matter if they live 1000 km away of the nearest consulate). Even if they are not approved they have to pay a US$ 100 fee. With those requests, I am not really very keen to spend vacations in US unless I really have to. Unfortunally.

Another consequence is that immigrants with high qualifications are avoiding US despite higher salaries and the need of scientists and university professors.

People from GOL are the best example that international migration (no matter the country) is a good thing, just have to be well organized.
I'm used to travel to US since I was a kid, but it seems that the fear of immigrantion and the paranoia with terrorism changed the things quite a bit.

All the Brazilians who wants to get a tourist visa have to pass an interview (no matter if they live 1000 km away of the nearest consulate). Even if they are not approved they have to pay a US$ 100 fee. With those requests, I am not really very keen to spend vacations in US unless I really have to. Unfortunally.

Another consequence is that immigrants with high qualifications are avoiding US despite higher salaries and the need of scientists and university professors.

People from GOL are the best example that international migration (no matter the country) is a good thing, just have to be well organized.
zenbrain, Feb 17, 2006 @ 16:58
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4
americans also hate these idiots at american customs. and we get to pay them. its just a job that attracts wanna-be nazis, and they become discouraged when they find they are not allowed to jump over their little booths and beat the crap out of someone just for the need to alleviate their boredom. as for new yorkers, most of them are not from NY. in fact the more disagreeable and obnoxious they are the higher chance they are from somewhere else...
americans also hate these idiots at american customs. and we get to pay them. its just a job that attracts wanna-be nazis, and they become discouraged when they find they are not allowed to jump over their little booths and beat the crap out of someone just for the need to alleviate their boredom. as for new yorkers, most of them are not from NY. in fact the more disagreeable and obnoxious they are the higher chance they are from somewhere else...
floydmarks, Feb 17, 2006 @ 19:56
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5
Luca, I sat there nodding to most of your post. Last time I was in transit through the US from Canada (clearing US immigration in Vancouver), with a ticket that clearly stated I was flying from Dallas to Cancun, I was hauled off to the interrogation room and grilled for awhile about what I was doing in Canada. Yes, I know...go figure! But to top it all off, on the way back to Canada, whilst in general, the immigration officials in Dallas are a lot more courteous than any of the others I have encountered elsewhere, the officer who tore the visa waiver out of my passport also took a sizeable chunk of the page it was stapled into. So, I now have to get a new passport as technically the one I had is classed as a mutilated document and is not valid. Gave me no end of trouble attempting to get into the UK!
Luca, I sat there nodding to most of your post. Last time I was in transit through the US from Canada (clearing US immigration in Vancouver), with a ticket that clearly stated I was flying from Dallas to Cancun, I was hauled off to the interrogation room and grilled for awhile about what I was doing in Canada. Yes, I know...go figure! But to top it all off, on the way back to Canada, whilst in general, the immigration officials in Dallas are a lot more courteous than any of the others I have encountered elsewhere, the officer who tore the visa waiver out of my passport also took a sizeable chunk of the page it was stapled into. So, I now have to get a new passport as technically the one I had is classed as a mutilated document and is not valid. Gave me no end of trouble attempting to get into the UK!
Brogsta, Feb 19, 2006 @ 23:06
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6
are from the 1 time I went to Cincinnati ... on business trip.
When I landed I went through security check and everything was almost fine, till the guy asked me what was the reas of my trip and if he could see my ticket.
I was fyling business class and I said the I was on a business trip.
The answer? Aren't u a bit too young (was 23 at the time) to be working and fyling business?
I explaind him the situation but he didn't want to beleive it ...
had to show him my badge and the meeting details...
Never had that kind of questions asked anywhere else ... thou I've been stopped more then once ;(
Go figure
Val
are from the 1 time I went to Cincinnati ... on business trip.
When I landed I went through security check and everything was almost fine, till the guy asked me what was the reas of my trip and if he could see my ticket.
I was fyling business class and I said the I was on a business trip.
The answer? Aren't u a bit too young (was 23 at the time) to be working and fyling business?
I explaind him the situation but he didn't want to beleive it ...
had to show him my badge and the meeting details...
Never had that kind of questions asked anywhere else ... thou I've been stopped more then once ;(
Go figure
Val
Hoiling, Feb 20, 2006 @ 12:25
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 7
Depending on the international flight you book , Bradly airport in the states ( connecticut - 2hours out of New York ) , have done alot of travelling through here / customs etc and this is a small , efficient and relatively speaking very pleasant airport .
But yes , I have found that a little bit of roll-play has amazing affects ( most of the time ) ie: I come across as someone who is almost doing this for the first time , please sir , yes sir , can you help me sir .... :-) seems to appeal to the macho "I'm in charge" psych , especially the " can YOU , HELP , ME ..
For me its got to do with giving that person a sense of elevation , and in a way I think they need it ...you would have to shoot me before I would do that job !
Then there are the days when I just really dont feel like it , but , bite the bullet , play the game and you end up getting out faster anyway ...and this considering how I look and the passports I travel on , I'm surprised I havn't been stopped more often
what I am curious about is how all these bad guys manage to get around ...???
Depending on the international flight you book , Bradly airport in the states ( connecticut - 2hours out of New York ) , have done alot of travelling through here / customs etc and this is a small , efficient and relatively speaking very pleasant airport .
But yes , I have found that a little bit of roll-play has amazing affects ( most of the time ) ie: I come across as someone who is almost doing this for the first time , please sir , yes sir , can you help me sir .... :-) seems to appeal to the macho "I'm in charge" psych , especially the " can YOU , HELP , ME ..
For me its got to do with giving that person a sense of elevation , and in a way I think they need it ...you would have to shoot me before I would do that job !
Then there are the days when I just really dont feel like it , but , bite the bullet , play the game and you end up getting out faster anyway ...and this considering how I look and the passports I travel on , I'm surprised I havn't been stopped more often
what I am curious about is how all these bad guys manage to get around ...???
tantien, Feb 20, 2006 @ 14:19
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 8
and if u look at stats for foreign students american universities are loosing more and more students who now opt to study in europe or other countries. Isolationism is rampant theses days! james
and if u look at stats for foreign students american universities are loosing more and more students who now opt to study in europe or other countries. Isolationism is rampant theses days! james
fishintree, Feb 21, 2006 @ 14:56
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
9 Replies | 1047 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form