Login or Sign Up

Global Forums > General > The sock phenomenon

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
The sock phenomenon
I must admit, that I am of an observant nature. Over the years I have observed and analysed many different types of singularities, but there is one that keeps me puzzled and for which I have yet not found a cause. This is the so called “Sock Phenomenon”.

I have been living on my own for over 10 years now, and every morning, when I start dressing up for work, I look into my sock drawer, and I end up staring at it in amazement, astonished, to say the least. I always seem to find a sock with autistic tendencies! Why is there always an unpaired sock in my drawer? And, why does the number of socks seem to always decrease?

I have tried some rational methods to avoid this singularity: I had tied the pair of socks together; I now only buy one type of socks; etc. But for all my actions, there seems to be an opposite reaction. It looks like Newton was right.

As I only use a multiple of two socks per day (never three), I have no real explanation to why this keeps happening. Is there a hidden compartment in the washing machine/ dryer? Do washing machines/ dryers, feed on socks? Do little goblins dwell in my house and use my socks as sleeping bags? Do socks die and go to heaven?

Current trends of thought seem to believe that when a sock dies, it reincarnates into a lighter. Funnily enough, I always have lighters in my house which i don't recall buying! Could this be an explanation to the phenomenon?

any suggestions greatly appreciated.

The text you are quoting:
I must admit, that I am of an observant nature. Over the years I have observed and analysed many different types of singularities, but there is one that keeps me puzzled and for which I have yet not found a cause. This is the so called “Sock Phenomenon”.

I have been living on my own for over 10 years now, and every morning, when I start dressing up for work, I look into my sock drawer, and I end up staring at it in amazement, astonished, to say the least. I always seem to find a sock with autistic tendencies! Why is there always an unpaired sock in my drawer? And, why does the number of socks seem to always decrease?

I have tried some rational methods to avoid this singularity: I had tied the pair of socks together; I now only buy one type of socks; etc. But for all my actions, there seems to be an opposite reaction. It looks like Newton was right.

As I only use a multiple of two socks per day (never three), I have no real explanation to why this keeps happening. Is there a hidden compartment in the washing machine/ dryer? Do washing machines/ dryers, feed on socks? Do little goblins dwell in my house and use my socks as sleeping bags? Do socks die and go to heaven?

Current trends of thought seem to believe that when a sock dies, it reincarnates into a lighter. Funnily enough, I always have lighters in my house which i don't recall buying! Could this be an explanation to the phenomenon?

any suggestions greatly appreciated.

LucaOct 29, 2005 @ 15:50
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

8 Replies | 1074 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: The sock phenomenon
Post 1
Less socks, less smell!
(Don't even dare to try to say that your socks -even after washing-don't smell. Nobody would beleive it) :-)
Less socks, less smell!
(Don't even dare to try to say that your socks -even after washing-don't smell. Nobody would beleive it) :-)
Stef__Granny, Oct 29, 2005 @ 17:17
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2
I've been bothered by the same thing and I'm convinced the answer lies in washing machines. I'm pretty sure I always put pairs of socks in it, but often when the washing is done, there is mysteriously an uneven number of socks...

I have two theories. Either
1) the machine feeds on socks like you suggested or
2) there is some kind of a port to another dimension in the machine that the socks go through. In that other dimension there must be a room with vast amounts of pairless socks... :)
I've been bothered by the same thing and I'm convinced the answer lies in washing machines. I'm pretty sure I always put pairs of socks in it, but often when the washing is done, there is mysteriously an uneven number of socks...

I have two theories. Either
1) the machine feeds on socks like you suggested or
2) there is some kind of a port to another dimension in the machine that the socks go through. In that other dimension there must be a room with vast amounts of pairless socks... :)
Katri, Oct 30, 2005 @ 00:30
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3
You should try to "handcuffed" every pair of socks together... so that you make
sure they won't vanish in some twilight zone...
You should try to "handcuffed" every pair of socks together... so that you make
sure they won't vanish in some twilight zone...
Phoebe, Oct 30, 2005 @ 18:31
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4
I know that washing machines can play nasty tricks on you. The best advice I can give you dear is to use a special bag for sensitive items. Us women use it a lot for underwear (sometimes bras lose the underwires . If they are in this little bag, all stays in!). You know, white bag that looks like a net, think you can find it everywhere, like Migros, etc (they don't pay to be advertised!). If you put your stocks in there, I doubt one will have Copperfield tendances!
I know that washing machines can play nasty tricks on you. The best advice I can give you dear is to use a special bag for sensitive items. Us women use it a lot for underwear (sometimes bras lose the underwires . If they are in this little bag, all stays in!). You know, white bag that looks like a net, think you can find it everywhere, like Migros, etc (they don't pay to be advertised!). If you put your stocks in there, I doubt one will have Copperfield tendances!
Iolly, Oct 31, 2005 @ 15:26
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5
Suggest, like the little kids with their mittens in English playgrounds, that you join your socks together with a long length of elastic. When you wear them you can run one sock and the elastic up your trouser leg across the crotch and down the other leg.

Can't wait to see the effect. Don't tell us when you do this, we'll try and guess by the way you're walking !
Suggest, like the little kids with their mittens in English playgrounds, that you join your socks together with a long length of elastic. When you wear them you can run one sock and the elastic up your trouser leg across the crotch and down the other leg.

Can't wait to see the effect. Don't tell us when you do this, we'll try and guess by the way you're walking !
Nottm_Lass, Oct 31, 2005 @ 16:05
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6
I just about spit out my soda with that one!
I just about spit out my soda with that one!
misskate, Nov 1, 2005 @ 23:35
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
8 Replies | 1074 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form