Login or Sign Up

Global Forums > General > What are the best Wedding Gift/s...?

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
What are the best Wedding Gift/s...?
Two of my best friends are gonna tie the knot in Slovakia..:)

And as always Im (always) bad in giving gifts..

What according to you will be the best wedding Gift/s? ;)

The text you are quoting:
Two of my best friends are gonna tie the knot in Slovakia..:)

What according to you will be the best wedding Gift/s? ;)
genevorineMay 19, 2009 @ 19:06

Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

21 Replies | 7130 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: What are the best Wedding Gift/s...?
Post 1
[quote]Two of my best friends are gonna tie the knot in Slovakia..:)

What according to you will be the best wedding Gift/s? ;)[/quote]

Is there a wedding table (or the 21st century-equivalent: the Amazon wish-list)?

Surprises rarely work.

If you've got lot's of photos, you can create a photo-book or a calendar ;-)

Or, if you know them very well, you can try searching for a (recent) book about something they really care about. E.g. about a country where one or both have been but might not be able to return any time soon.

Alternatively:

- electric iron (joke!)

- a blender or other kitchen-stuff (joke2!)

- a machine to clean shoes (almost a joke)

- voucher for some wellness/spa weekend

- any children on the way? Baby-stuff vouchers...

Maybe if you were a bit more specific, someone could provide more specific answers ;-)

Is there a wedding table (or the 21st century-equivalent: the Amazon wish-list)?

Surprises rarely work.

If you've got lot's of photos, you can create a photo-book or a calendar ;-)

Or, if you know them very well, you can try searching for a (recent) book about something they really care about. E.g. about a country where one or both have been but might not be able to return any time soon.

Alternatively:

- electric iron (joke!)

- a blender or other kitchen-stuff (joke2!)

- a machine to clean shoes (almost a joke)

- voucher for some wellness/spa weekend

- any children on the way? Baby-stuff vouchers...

Maybe if you were a bit more specific, someone could provide more specific answers ;-)

rainer_d, May 19, 2009 @ 23:03
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2
From my experience a gift that is always appreciated by a young couple is CASH.

Maybe it's not romantic nor creative, but it helps them buy what ever they really need the most, what ever that is.

As for how much to give, that depends on the country and on how close you are to them. I went to a wedding in CH of a good friend last week, and gave CHF 300. But everyone knows I'm cheap!

From my experience a gift that is always appreciated by a young couple is CASH.

Maybe it's not romantic nor creative, but it helps them buy what ever they really need the most, what ever that is.

As for how much to give, that depends on the country and on how close you are to them. I went to a wedding in CH of a good friend last week, and gave CHF 300. But everyone knows I'm cheap!
Nir Ofek, May 19, 2009 @ 23:50

Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3
Too cool! both best friends... how about an furnishing for the guest bedroom?! :)
Too cool! both best friends... how about an furnishing for the guest bedroom?! :)
tnt749, May 20, 2009 @ 00:30
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

condoms

condoms
floydmarks, May 20, 2009 @ 00:50
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5
No you are not. In the beginning i got shocked too but then i changed the amount to my local currency and multiplied it by the times the salary is more in Geneva and i got the same amount more or less so i guess its fair.

Ok enough. 300CHF? Someone is really lucky to have Nir as a friend!!
No you are not. In the beginning i got shocked too but then i changed the amount to my local currency and multiplied it by the times the salary is more in Geneva and i got the same amount more or less so i guess its fair.

Ok enough. 300CHF? Someone is really lucky to have Nir as a friend!!
Maria_, May 20, 2009 @ 01:35
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6

A toaster.

A toaster.
charlotta, May 20, 2009 @ 04:03
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 7
A wedding list is pretty common around here. Ask them if they have one... Then make them feel guilty if they don't, so afterward they'll take the responsibility for your crappy gift...
A wedding list is pretty common around here. Ask them if they have one... Then make them feel guilty if they don't, so afterward they'll take the responsibility for your crappy gift...
Casuistik, May 20, 2009 @ 09:36
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 8
I  agree with Nir... cash is best..but ifthey livein the area, you might also consider getting them a gift card from Globus...A friend gives me that for Christmas every year..:w00t:
I  agree with Nir... cash is best..but ifthey livein the area, you might also consider getting them a gift card from Globus...A friend gives me that for Christmas every year..:w00t:
Translator, May 20, 2009 @ 13:29
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 9
On the Cash topic, I'd check before giving cash on the country traditions. While in Switzerland is quite normal to give cash, in other countries (e.g. Italy) is considered quite rude unless

- the couple has asked for it (like some friends of mine that got married and asked for a contribution to their 'adventure trip' fund, or 'honey moon fund')

- you are REALLY REALLY close to the couple. This last one has usually a double take. In Italy it's considered acceptable only from close family memebers (like uncles and aunts), as they are 'family' but rarely actually know the couple very good and have an idea on what they might like. They are also usually older people, so cash as a gift is considered ok. From close friends .. is really really borderline. I know people that were offended.

On the amount ... 300 chf as a 'couple' contribution (if you are going to the wedding +1) is not such a huge amount, considering how much wedding costs in switzerland and the fact that you are brining someone else that might not be close the the couple .... but of course everything goes when it's about friends. They will know what one can afford or not and will be happy in any case :).

Some more ideas: vouchers for couples activity: massage courses, dance classes, tandem skydiving, dinner in a igloo, camel riding ... you name it, just something they can do together and they might like!

V - going to a LOT of weddings and having even more friends getting married lately (must.be.the.age.factor)

On the Cash topic, I'd check before giving cash on the country traditions. While in Switzerland is quite normal to give cash, in other countries (e.g. Italy) is considered quite rude unless

- the couple has asked for it (like some friends of mine that got married and asked for a contribution to their 'adventure trip' fund, or 'honey moon fund')

- you are REALLY REALLY close to the couple. This last one has usually a double take. In Italy it's considered acceptable only from close family memebers (like uncles and aunts), as they are 'family' but rarely actually know the couple very good and have an idea on what they might like. They are also usually older people, so cash as a gift is considered ok. From close friends .. is really really borderline. I know people that were offended.

On the amount ... 300 chf as a 'couple' contribution (if you are going to the wedding +1) is not such a huge amount, considering how much wedding costs in switzerland and the fact that you are brining someone else that might not be close the the couple .... but of course everything goes when it's about friends. They will know what one can afford or not and will be happy in any case :).

Some more ideas: vouchers for couples activity: massage courses, dance classes, tandem skydiving, dinner in a igloo, camel riding ... you name it, just something they can do together and they might like!

V - going to a LOT of weddings and having even more friends getting married lately (must.be.the.age.factor)
Hoiling, May 20, 2009 @ 13:38

Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 10
ok so we have:--

Cash : a safe suggestion -  CHF 300 - a fairly good amount - Since its in slovakia.. its in euros so that will  make it even more less..lol

Gift vouchers: excellent Idea--- will give it a thought?

Toaster: seems reasonable.. they would think of me every morning when they toast a bread.

Photos seem an excellent idea.. but i dont have any photos as such..

Condoms??- -  Bad Idea--  not sure what size to get or flavour can be allergique to certain couples. -- :P

I though of a cuckoo clock... or a swiss knife with their names carved??? any comments?

ok so we have:--

Cash : a safe suggestion -  CHF 300 - a fairly good amount - Since its in slovakia.. its in euros so that will  make it even more less..lol

Gift vouchers: excellent Idea--- will give it a thought?

Toaster: seems reasonable.. they would think of me every morning when they toast a bread.

Photos seem an excellent idea.. but i dont have any photos as such..

Condoms??- -  Bad Idea--  not sure what size to get or flavour can be allergique to certain couples. -- :P

I though of a cuckoo clock... or a swiss knife with their names carved??? any comments?
genevorine, May 20, 2009 @ 17:15

Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 11
hi,

If money is'nt a prblm book for them a travel package !  ....or if its for staying in their memory books - ribbed sea-shells with a golden heart inside,wrapped in rose petals.

...would that suffice ?:hehe:

Bt how do u have two best friends ????  ...didnt get it ! :)

~cheers

take care,

arpan

hi,

If money is'nt a prblm book for them a travel package !  ....or if its for staying in their memory books - ribbed sea-shells with a golden heart inside,wrapped in rose petals.

...would that suffice ?:hehe:

Bt how do u have two best friends ????  ...didnt get it ! :)

~cheers

take care,

arpan
arpan, May 20, 2009 @ 19:21

Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 12
Hi Genevorine

I just got married a few weeks ago, and I agree that Cash is King :-)

I also agree with Hoiling that you need to check the country 'traditions', but if there is no taboo on giving money, then the greener the better :-)

Oded

Hi Genevorine

I just got married a few weeks ago, and I agree that Cash is King :-)

I also agree with Hoiling that you need to check the country 'traditions', but if there is no taboo on giving money, then the greener the better :-)

Oded
SiteAdmin Oded, May 20, 2009 @ 19:56

Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 13
Surfing the net:

Hi,

I've been invited to a wedding in Slovakia in a few weeks time, the trouble is I don't speak Slovak.

I'm trying to learn basic Czech (yes, Czech - Slovak language tapes are hard to find in England) but that won't help me much to follow the wedding ceremony. Can anyone tell me about the usual format for a Slovak wedding, to give me a bit of a head start?

Any other suggestions will be gratefully received.

James

PS, what's the Slovak for "I do"?

;-)

------------------------

Hi, I was married in Slovakia so I sort of know what goes down.

The groom's side of the family/guests all meet up at his house, the bride's at her house. The groom and guests come to the brides to get her. Sometimes the bride will 'hide' and the groom has to find her. They say thank you's to their parents. The get their flowers. Then it's off to the church.

I am catholic and the wedding there was pretty much like anywhere, only they don't light candles together, they do have to pray on a cross. Signatures and that is that. Then the newlyweds go out the church and wait by the door so that everyone can congratulate them. (Gratulujem is all you have to say to both one at a time) Then you go to the reception. There you eat and drink. Oh when you arrive they may have everyone stand around in a circle, newlyweds centre, and have them eat some symbolic stuff, bread, salt, sugar, and then they might drop a plate on the floor and have the newlyweds work together to clean it up. Guest make this more difficult by kicking the pile of swept up plate several times. However many pieces are left will be the ammount of children they will have. Then they eat and give toats. Oh yes and drink, and eat and drink and dance. At midnight everyone again makes a circle around the newlyweds and one person holding a bowl. Everyone puts in some money (20 - 500sk) to dance with the bride or groom. After everyone has had a short turn they take the brides veil/headpiece away and give it to her chosen friend. Then the party continues. Oh, and durring the ceremony, if the groom is not paying enough attention to the bride some of the guest will steal her away to a pub and the groom has to go looking for her.

The party will end around 6am.

Have fun!

* Vanessa *

* Nazdravie! *

P.S. the slovak 'I do' is just yes- ano. The priest or whomever will ask if they take the other and they just say yes.

----------------------------------

Dekuju!

That sounds like a great ceremony. I shall look forward to it.

Is it the custom to give the couple gifts for their new home?

James

---------------------------------------

Sure you can give them something, but make sure you know their tastes. Unless you decide to go with something like a mixer or such. We did not receive a tonne of gifts (we had about 80 people at our wedding) Usually they just give you money when dancing there at midnight, or some people bring a cake (very well decorated one for a wedding mind you.) I guess it depends how Slovak they will go and where abouts the wedding is.

Have a blast!

* Vanessa *

* Nazdravie! *

------------------------------------------------------

Hmm, I can make cake, but I can't decorate them. Maybe I'll think of something else! Thanks for the help.

James

Hello James: I attended weding in Slovakia on June 4. this year. I ordered cake in Pastry shop - Cukraren (check internet for the place where you go, maybe they have one, or ask the family to arrange for you), I requested cake with bride on top ( s nevestou) and walnut cake with chocolate frosting (orechova s cokoladovou plnkou). Saturday at 11:00 AM I just picked it up. Cake goes to the family with bottle of something good, whisky, gin, good wine, it's your choice. (You don't have to bake, just pay for it :-) We presented gift in envelope to groom, or bride, depent who invated you, which family. I did not see 20, 100 krowns in that bowl (we don't like to look cheap), 500 and up :-) you dance with bride and woman with the groom... you both pay separately, otherwise no dance :-)

Where (town) will be the wedding?

Estika

Hi Estika,

Thank you for the reply.

The wedding will be near Kosice - actually in a village, but I don't know which.

You say the cake goes to the family - do you mean the groom's family (I know the groom, not the bride)? I imagine there is a lot of cake to eat after such a wedding!

James

----------------------------------------

james: before you leave the wedding they will hand you box to take home with piece of cake and pastries. Have fun!

Estika

P.S: they will be surprised how knowledgeable you are about wedding matters in Slovakia :-)

-----------------------------------------------
Surfing the net:

Hi,

I've been invited to a wedding in Slovakia in a few weeks time, the trouble is I don't speak Slovak.

I'm trying to learn basic Czech (yes, Czech - Slovak language tapes are hard to find in England) but that won't help me much to follow the wedding ceremony. Can anyone tell me about the usual format for a Slovak wedding, to give me a bit of a head start?

Any other suggestions will be gratefully received.

James

PS, what's the Slovak for "I do"?

;-)

------------------------

Hi, I was married in Slovakia so I sort of know what goes down.

The groom's side of the family/guests all meet up at his house, the bride's at her house. The groom and guests come to the brides to get her. Sometimes the bride will 'hide' and the groom has to find her. They say thank you's to their parents. The get their flowers. Then it's off to the church.

I am catholic and the wedding there was pretty much like anywhere, only they don't light candles together, they do have to pray on a cross. Signatures and that is that. Then the newlyweds go out the church and wait by the door so that everyone can congratulate them. (Gratulujem is all you have to say to both one at a time) Then you go to the reception. There you eat and drink. Oh when you arrive they may have everyone stand around in a circle, newlyweds centre, and have them eat some symbolic stuff, bread, salt, sugar, and then they might drop a plate on the floor and have the newlyweds work together to clean it up. Guest make this more difficult by kicking the pile of swept up plate several times. However many pieces are left will be the ammount of children they will have. Then they eat and give toats. Oh yes and drink, and eat and drink and dance. At midnight everyone again makes a circle around the newlyweds and one person holding a bowl. Everyone puts in some money (20 - 500sk) to dance with the bride or groom. After everyone has had a short turn they take the brides veil/headpiece away and give it to her chosen friend. Then the party continues. Oh, and durring the ceremony, if the groom is not paying enough attention to the bride some of the guest will steal her away to a pub and the groom has to go looking for her.

The party will end around 6am.

Have fun!

* Vanessa *

* Nazdravie! *

P.S. the slovak 'I do' is just yes- ano. The priest or whomever will ask if they take the other and they just say yes.

----------------------------------

Dekuju!

That sounds like a great ceremony. I shall look forward to it.

Is it the custom to give the couple gifts for their new home?

James

---------------------------------------

Sure you can give them something, but make sure you know their tastes. Unless you decide to go with something like a mixer or such. We did not receive a tonne of gifts (we had about 80 people at our wedding) Usually they just give you money when dancing there at midnight, or some people bring a cake (very well decorated one for a wedding mind you.) I guess it depends how Slovak they will go and where abouts the wedding is.

Have a blast!

* Vanessa *

* Nazdravie! *

Hmm, I can make cake, but I can't decorate them. Maybe I'll think of something else! Thanks for the help.

James

Hello James: I attended weding in Slovakia on June 4. this year. I ordered cake in Pastry shop - Cukraren (check internet for the place where you go, maybe they have one, or ask the family to arrange for you), I requested cake with bride on top ( s nevestou) and walnut cake with chocolate frosting (orechova s cokoladovou plnkou). Saturday at 11:00 AM I just picked it up. Cake goes to the family with bottle of something good, whisky, gin, good wine, it's your choice. (You don't have to bake, just pay for it :-) We presented gift in envelope to groom, or bride, depent who invated you, which family. I did not see 20, 100 krowns in that bowl (we don't like to look cheap), 500 and up :-) you dance with bride and woman with the groom... you both pay separately, otherwise no dance :-)

Where (town) will be the wedding?

Estika

Hi Estika,

Thank you for the reply.

The wedding will be near Kosice - actually in a village, but I don't know which.

You say the cake goes to the family - do you mean the groom's family (I know the groom, not the bride)? I imagine there is a lot of cake to eat after such a wedding!

James

----------------------------------------

james: before you leave the wedding they will hand you box to take home with piece of cake and pastries. Have fun!

Estika

P.S: they will be surprised how knowledgeable you are about wedding matters in Slovakia :-)

-----------------------------------------------
Casuistik, May 20, 2009 @ 20:13
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 14
I do understand the problem. Does anyone know the stats on what fraction of wedding gifts go unused? It must be, like a hundred percent or more.

Anyway, I don't know anybody that wouldn't (at least secretly) be very pleased with a relatively diverse and extensive collection of pornography. Sure it's a bit unorthodox but I bet the wedding couple would be pleased as punch. Also, it'd looks superb racked up with all the other gifts on the table at the reception and will provide an great talking point. Generally I suggest pitching over the usual limits, but not extravagantly so, and -- as people suggested for the other gifts -- you would need to research the cultural benchmarks when deciding on the level. It'd be pretty weak to offer them something they could get by flicking on terrestrial television wouldn't it? Different countries differ a lot in this respect. At least think it over.
I do understand the problem. Does anyone know the stats on what fraction of wedding gifts go unused? It must be, like a hundred percent or more.

Anyway, I don't know anybody that wouldn't (at least secretly) be very pleased with a relatively diverse and extensive collection of pornography. Sure it's a bit unorthodox but I bet the wedding couple would be pleased as punch. Also, it'd looks superb racked up with all the other gifts on the table at the reception and will provide an great talking point. Generally I suggest pitching over the usual limits, but not extravagantly so, and -- as people suggested for the other gifts -- you would need to research the cultural benchmarks when deciding on the level. It'd be pretty weak to offer them something they could get by flicking on terrestrial television wouldn't it? Different countries differ a lot in this respect. At least think it over.
hayes, May 20, 2009 @ 20:20
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 15
 An original Swiss idea is a  cow bell with their names engraved on it but may not be particularly usefull to a young couple! I'm not sure where they are made but shouldn't be hard to find out.
 An original Swiss idea is a  cow bell with their names engraved on it but may not be particularly usefull to a young couple! I'm not sure where they are made but shouldn't be hard to find out.
jindalee, May 22, 2009 @ 18:16
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 16

Hey, I was looking for a birthday present for my boyfriend to be very original and inexpensive. Imagine that I found something like this under 10 British Pounds. You can have as a gift a real internet domain! You get a certificate with a tailored domain according your own suggestions (already paid for one year and on the certificate it is written that this domain is a gift from whom and for whom and for what reason (eg. their proposition was “stevemy. space” as for me ;-)) but it may be due to graduation or your first date ;-)) or anything). You can see for yourself - mensgiftideas. site

Hey, I was looking for a birthday present for my boyfriend to be very original and inexpensive. Imagine that I found something like this under 10 British Pounds. You can have as a gift a real internet domain! You get a certificate with a tailored domain according your own suggestions (already paid for one year and on the certificate it is written that this domain is a gift from whom and for whom and for what reason (eg. their proposition was “stevemy. space” as for me ;-)) but it may be due to graduation or your first date ;-)) or anything). You can see for yourself - mensgiftideas. site

Jerin Hasan, Sep 13, 2018 @ 00:53
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 17

How about two return easyJet tickets from Vienna (closest airport) to Geneva.

How about two return easyJet tickets from Vienna (closest airport) to Geneva.

David L, Sep 13, 2018 @ 11:38
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 18

Original painting is always a great gift idea!

http://shop.artbyasta.com

Original painting is always a great gift idea!

http://shop.artbyasta.com

Asta K, Sep 13, 2018 @ 15:43
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
21 Replies | 7130 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form