Login or Sign Up

Global Forums > General > What is Love?

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
What is Love?
It's a word that is banded about so much these days, but in a conversation i was having, people found it very hard to define love...

They kept saying... "Love is many things..." but unable to identify them... and other said, "it's different for each of us..."

If this is true surely there should at least be some commonality..

So i ask, simply... "What is love?"
(Apart from a really bad 90's track....)
The text you are quoting:
It's a word that is banded about so much these days, but in a conversation i was having, people found it very hard to define love...

They kept saying... "Love is many things..." but unable to identify them... and other said, "it's different for each of us..."

If this is true surely there should at least be some commonality..

So i ask, simply... "What is love?"
(Apart from a really bad 90's track....)
LucaOct 24, 2005 @ 22:10
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

12 Replies | 1205 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: What is Love?
Post 1
i know, since he is always in that club in d?sseldorf i go to with my friends on thursday.

whatever, love is the topic.

for me, my loved one is my harbour. i feel safe and protected when he is around. he takes me for what i am, he is taking care of me when i am ill, he is giving me feedback but love is the little things as well. for example allowing me to have 20 people over for a party, knowing that his safe zone, our home will be invaded, or holding the umbrella to cover me while he is getting wet on one side.
love is trust, love is confidence, love is feeling as a part of a great thing, love is like not being able to life without the other.

sarah jessica partner had a line as carrie bradshaw in sex and the city wich defines love very good:

Carrie: I'm looking for love. Real love. Ridiculous, inconvenient, consuming, can't-live-without-each-other love. And I don't think that love is here in this expensive suite in this lovely hotel in Paris.

so much for that. but all i can say is, that from the bottom of my heart I AM IN LOVE!!!

i know, since he is always in that club in d?sseldorf i go to with my friends on thursday.

whatever, love is the topic.

for me, my loved one is my harbour. i feel safe and protected when he is around. he takes me for what i am, he is taking care of me when i am ill, he is giving me feedback but love is the little things as well. for example allowing me to have 20 people over for a party, knowing that his safe zone, our home will be invaded, or holding the umbrella to cover me while he is getting wet on one side.
love is trust, love is confidence, love is feeling as a part of a great thing, love is like not being able to life without the other.

sarah jessica partner had a line as carrie bradshaw in sex and the city wich defines love very good:

Carrie: I'm looking for love. Real love. Ridiculous, inconvenient, consuming, can't-live-without-each-other love. And I don't think that love is here in this expensive suite in this lovely hotel in Paris.

so much for that. but all i can say is, that from the bottom of my heart I AM IN LOVE!!!

Mister_Sark, Oct 25, 2005 @ 14:38
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2
only a few that I know. I think love lost a bit of its magic because people have "legalised" it on many ways: love is often confused with sex, passion, etc. Sex is good, making love is better. Passion goes, love stays. How many of you could say that when you love someone, all it matters to you is to see that person happy, even if that implies not being happy with you? That is love alright. Of course, goes without saying that it is beyhond words when it is with you that the person you love is happy. You can consider yourself a lucky one, and stop bitching and moaning about the rest...
only a few that I know. I think love lost a bit of its magic because people have "legalised" it on many ways: love is often confused with sex, passion, etc. Sex is good, making love is better. Passion goes, love stays. How many of you could say that when you love someone, all it matters to you is to see that person happy, even if that implies not being happy with you? That is love alright. Of course, goes without saying that it is beyhond words when it is with you that the person you love is happy. You can consider yourself a lucky one, and stop bitching and moaning about the rest...
Iolly, Oct 25, 2005 @ 21:58
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3
...is the Triangular Theory of Love, developed by Robert Sternberg.
It characterizes love in an interpersonal relationship on three different scales: intimacy, passion and commitment. Different stages and types of love can be explained as different combinations of the three elements, intimacy, passion and commitment.

...is the Triangular Theory of Love, developed by Robert Sternberg.
It characterizes love in an interpersonal relationship on three different scales: intimacy, passion and commitment. Different stages and types of love can be explained as different combinations of the three elements, intimacy, passion and commitment.

zenbrain, Oct 26, 2005 @ 19:25
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4
Sternberg, R. J. (1986) A triangular theory of love. Psychological Review, 93, 119-135.
Sternberg, R. J. (1986) A triangular theory of love. Psychological Review, 93, 119-135.
zenbrain, Oct 26, 2005 @ 19:31
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5
I've never been in love... wouldn't be able to qualify anything about this feeling...
I've never been in love... wouldn't be able to qualify anything about this feeling...

Phoebe, Oct 27, 2005 @ 09:42
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6
I think the only way to know you WERE in LOVE (and not lust, need to be loved, need to not be single anymore, or a situation where it's just friendship with benefits) is think about it a while later... at least a year, I'd say... And even if a after year what you feel is not bitterness, annoyance, or just plain indifference, but rather a warm happy feeling that overcomes you when you think about this person, even if you are not together anymore, even if things took a bad turn in the past and got crappy, or even if that person was really nasty to you... then you know it WAS love, and not just a passing attraction. A real love never ends, even if the relationship does. And when the love was real, you only remember the best that happenned.... and you ALWAYS keep a place in your heart for that person....
I think the only way to know you WERE in LOVE (and not lust, need to be loved, need to not be single anymore, or a situation where it's just friendship with benefits) is think about it a while later... at least a year, I'd say... And even if a after year what you feel is not bitterness, annoyance, or just plain indifference, but rather a warm happy feeling that overcomes you when you think about this person, even if you are not together anymore, even if things took a bad turn in the past and got crappy, or even if that person was really nasty to you... then you know it WAS love, and not just a passing attraction. A real love never ends, even if the relationship does. And when the love was real, you only remember the best that happenned.... and you ALWAYS keep a place in your heart for that person....
lovely_katya, Oct 28, 2005 @ 09:22
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 7
I've met Sari in 1983. Passion blew our minds that very night and friends still remember us howling and grunting all night long!!! (we were in a camper. They were clapping and whistling outside, but we didn't notice).
It was supposed to be a one-night-stand,
than it became a two-nights-stand,
than a two-years-stand,
than a two-KIDS-stand,
A couple of weeks ago we would have celebrated our twelveth year toghether (I had never resisted more than few months, before) if only I hadn't been in Cannes and Sari in London!!!
We've been living toghether in at least six different homes (not counting the short periods).
And I still PASSIONATELY love her!!!
And I reivindicate that Love has loads to do with Hormones! They are just two ways of describing a same complex feeling from different points of view!!!
And, Bloody Hell!, I've been not seeing her for three weeks now (I was travelling or she was) and I don't feel less in love admitting that my hormones are howling and stamping and X#h*¢ing!!!
She's back on saturday, just on time for the Halloween party! So please... ALWAYS LET US A FREE TOILET... ALL NIGHT LONG!!!! :-D
I've met Sari in 1983. Passion blew our minds that very night and friends still remember us howling and grunting all night long!!! (we were in a camper. They were clapping and whistling outside, but we didn't notice).
It was supposed to be a one-night-stand,
than it became a two-nights-stand,
than a two-years-stand,
than a two-KIDS-stand,
A couple of weeks ago we would have celebrated our twelveth year toghether (I had never resisted more than few months, before) if only I hadn't been in Cannes and Sari in London!!!
We've been living toghether in at least six different homes (not counting the short periods).
And I still PASSIONATELY love her!!!
And I reivindicate that Love has loads to do with Hormones! They are just two ways of describing a same complex feeling from different points of view!!!
And, Bloody Hell!, I've been not seeing her for three weeks now (I was travelling or she was) and I don't feel less in love admitting that my hormones are howling and stamping and X#h*¢ing!!!
She's back on saturday, just on time for the Halloween party! So please... ALWAYS LET US A FREE TOILET... ALL NIGHT LONG!!!! :-D
Stef__Granny, Oct 28, 2005 @ 17:06
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 8
Wow man, they start early in Italy.....
Wow man, they start early in Italy.....
lovely_katya, Oct 28, 2005 @ 17:11
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 9
As a word love doesn t mean anything its too vague and easy to manipulate. The vast different array of emotion of course. How can the same word be used for your girlfriend and your mum....? Somewhat disturbing, yet true.
As a word love doesn t mean anything its too vague and easy to manipulate. The vast different array of emotion of course. How can the same word be used for your girlfriend and your mum....? Somewhat disturbing, yet true.
munkypint, Oct 28, 2005 @ 17:13
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 10
oh, I guess you meant 1993, not 1983...
oh, I guess you meant 1993, not 1983...
lovely_katya, Oct 28, 2005 @ 17:14
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 11
(:-| (blushing) yes, of course... 1993! Thanks Katia
Anyway what's wrong with 12 years? El Senor Pasison can this and more! (That's a private joke folks! don't try to understand it! :-D)
(:-| (blushing) yes, of course... 1993! Thanks Katia
Anyway what's wrong with 12 years? El Senor Pasison can this and more! (That's a private joke folks! don't try to understand it! :-D)
Stef__Granny, Oct 28, 2005 @ 17:20
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
12 Replies | 1205 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form