Login or Sign Up

Global Forums > General > Why is it so difficult to find an apartment for Rent in Geneva?

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Why is it so difficult to find an apartment for Rent in Geneva?

I'm an expat living in Geneva from past 3 years. I'm trying to find a new apartment from almost 6 months but unable to find anything suitable.

Incase I find a apartment with in my budget there are so many applicants and it will not be allocated for me. 

Many of my apartment vists are cancelled a day before saying they have already have enough application and they no longer want to have new applications.

Also, the rents are so high and if i go for higher rents, then i endup saving nothing. 

Infact some house brokers approached me to help but they are also not able to find a place which best suits my budget.

I'm really feeling frustrated with the situation and this has become more headache than my primary job.

Just trying to understnad why the situation is like this in geneva and how can i find a place best suits my preferences?

Looking forrwd to hearing from this fourm

The text you are quoting:

I'm an expat living in Geneva from past 3 years. I'm trying to find a new apartment from almost 6 months but unable to find anything suitable.

Incase I find a apartment with in my budget there are so many applicants and it will not be allocated for me. 

Many of my apartment vists are cancelled a day before saying they have already have enough application and they no longer want to have new applications.

Also, the rents are so high and if i go for higher rents, then i endup saving nothing. 

Infact some house brokers approached me to help but they are also not able to find a place which best suits my budget.

I'm really feeling frustrated with the situation and this has become more headache than my primary job.

Just trying to understnad why the situation is like this in geneva and how can i find a place best suits my preferences?

Looking forrwd to hearing from this fourm

Rakesh PrakhyaApr 3, 2021 @ 11:38
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

7 Replies | 1069 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Why is it so difficult to find an apartment for Rent in Geneva?
Post 1

Hi Ralf,

Thank you for your response. I'm looking for something with in 2500 CHF inclusive of charges.

Hi Ralf,

Thank you for your response. I'm looking for something with in 2500 CHF inclusive of charges.

Rakesh Prakhya, Apr 4, 2021 @ 12:45
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

I feel your pain. Everyone that has come to Geneva feels the same way and experiences the same as you (unless he or she has an extraordinary salary).

2500 CHF/months is a tidy sum, you should be able to find something you like. Unfortunately apartments that are nice and/or reasonably priced are taken very quickly.

One strategy you should try is to find something more expensive and overpriced, sign the rent, then have the overpriced rent reduced by law. Here's a thread on how to do that, make sure to read it in full: https://www.glocals.com/forums/geneva/where-how-in-geneva/Renting-in-Geneva--READ-THIS----206526.htm

Good luck with your search!

I feel your pain. Everyone that has come to Geneva feels the same way and experiences the same as you (unless he or she has an extraordinary salary).

2500 CHF/months is a tidy sum, you should be able to find something you like. Unfortunately apartments that are nice and/or reasonably priced are taken very quickly.

One strategy you should try is to find something more expensive and overpriced, sign the rent, then have the overpriced rent reduced by law. Here's a thread on how to do that, make sure to read it in full: https://www.glocals.com/forums/geneva/where-how-in-geneva/Renting-in-Geneva--READ-THIS----206526.htm

Good luck with your search!

TheOmegaMan, Apr 4, 2021 @ 15:17
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

The auto-generation of links in a post does not work, here's the link again:

https://www.glocals.com/forums/geneva/where-how-in-geneva/Renting-in-Geneva--READ-THIS----206526.htm

The auto-generation of links in a post does not work, here's the link again:

https://www.glocals.com/forums/geneva/where-how-in-geneva/Renting-in-Geneva--READ-THIS----206526.htm

TheOmegaMan, Apr 4, 2021 @ 15:25
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

Hi Rakesh,

I spent many hours trying to make the most beautiful application every - I wrote some scripts to fill the forms and create my dossier automatically - I applied to all flats before even visiting them. In your application, it would be nice to have all possible documents, e.g., poursuite, working contract, banking, living permit, last three salary slips, and even criminal records (non-EU citizens may have more difficulties in finding a flat). After being contacted by the regie you may find a way to visit the flat since it is almost impossible to visit all flats if you have a 100% position.  

Wish u all the best - just be patient!

Hi Rakesh,

I spent many hours trying to make the most beautiful application every - I wrote some scripts to fill the forms and create my dossier automatically - I applied to all flats before even visiting them. In your application, it would be nice to have all possible documents, e.g., poursuite, working contract, banking, living permit, last three salary slips, and even criminal records (non-EU citizens may have more difficulties in finding a flat). After being contacted by the regie you may find a way to visit the flat since it is almost impossible to visit all flats if you have a 100% position.  

Marcelo O, Apr 6, 2021 @ 14:00
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5

Hi Rakesh,

Apr 6, 21 14:00

Hi Rakesh,

that sounds interesting. How did you create a program to fill in a form automatically?

Hi Rakesh,

that sounds interesting. How did you create a program to fill in a form automatically?

Kris R, Apr 6, 2021 @ 21:30
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6
Hi,
I may create a paid service to do it one day :)
Conversion of the forms to a vectorial format using a bash script and filling it with Latex - some forms were not easy to convert/fill, and the bash script was used to attach all required documents. I also check the time that the servers were updated on comparis... 

Hi,
I may create a paid service to do it one day :)
Conversion of the forms to a vectorial format using a bash script and filling it with Latex - some forms were not easy to convert/fill, and the bash script was used to attach all required documents. I also check the time that the servers were updated on comparis... 

Marcelo O, Apr 6, 2021 @ 21:47
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 7
Hi, I may create a paid service to do it one day :)
Apr 6, 21 21:47

PS: I was joking - I am not planning to do it - running it on a server, sensitive information of the user would be needed in order to fill the forms, which would create many issues involving security, etc.. time/problems ratio is prohibitive. 

PS: I was joking - I am not planning to do it - running it on a server, sensitive information of the user would be needed in order to fill the forms, which would create many issues involving security, etc.. time/problems ratio is prohibitive. 

Marcelo O, Apr 6, 2021 @ 22:06
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
7 Replies | 1069 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form