Login or Sign Up

Global Forums > General > any advanced SYNOLOGY experts around ? my Storage Pool crashed

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
any advanced SYNOLOGY experts around ? my Storage Pool crashed

Hello all,

I would like to get in touch with someone who has some experience in solving a technical issue regarding my Synology NAS . I have a DS415play which storage pool has crashed . 'Failed to access the system partition.' This happened after a physical drop/tumble. I have 4 drives of 4TB, drive 1 has crashed and drive 3 has status 'initialised' but 'not assigned to storage pool'. It's a Synology Hybride Raid (SHR) with data protection for 1-drive fault tolerance.

The technical support of synology says to run a repair, but then again, backup or copy of data prior attempting such repair is advised. But I cannot run backup as the backup software is corrupt (probably due to bad sectors on disk) and I cannot seem to copy it. It copies the folder structure but not the contents. 

My fear is if I run a system repair that I will loose data, that at this stage can still be recovered, and might not be if I attempt a repair or even replace disk 1.

Disk 2 and 4 are in good working condition, but since I have fault protection for only one drive and disk 1 has crashed and disk 3 is not recognised and/or well configured, my fear is to loose data. Is this possible or can I attempt repair without risk of being worse off afterwards ?  

Good news is I can still open and display photo's etc from the folder structure, so it must be readable, just not sure how much of the data is still accessable/valid. 

Anyone has a good idea, advise or experience with such issue ?

Looking forward to hearing suitable advise or PM me if willing to discuss by phone/skype/whatsapp etc

The text you are quoting:

Hello all,

I would like to get in touch with someone who has some experience in solving a technical issue regarding my Synology NAS . I have a DS415play which storage pool has crashed . 'Failed to access the system partition.' This happened after a physical drop/tumble. I have 4 drives of 4TB, drive 1 has crashed and drive 3 has status 'initialised' but 'not assigned to storage pool'. It's a Synology Hybride Raid (SHR) with data protection for 1-drive fault tolerance.

The technical support of synology says to run a repair, but then again, backup or copy of data prior attempting such repair is advised. But I cannot run backup as the backup software is corrupt (probably due to bad sectors on disk) and I cannot seem to copy it. It copies the folder structure but not the contents. 

My fear is if I run a system repair that I will loose data, that at this stage can still be recovered, and might not be if I attempt a repair or even replace disk 1.

Disk 2 and 4 are in good working condition, but since I have fault protection for only one drive and disk 1 has crashed and disk 3 is not recognised and/or well configured, my fear is to loose data. Is this possible or can I attempt repair without risk of being worse off afterwards ?  

Good news is I can still open and display photo's etc from the folder structure, so it must be readable, just not sure how much of the data is still accessable/valid. 

Anyone has a good idea, advise or experience with such issue ?

Looking forward to hearing suitable advise or PM me if willing to discuss by phone/skype/whatsapp etc

ErikDec 4, 2021 @ 16:35
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

2 Replies | 1160 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: any advanced SYNOLOGY experts around ? my Storage Pool crashed
Post 1

Hi Erik, what RAID solution did you use? 5 or 10? Have you tried just replacing the defective drive with a new one then re-starting the system again instead of repairing it?

Hi Erik, what RAID solution did you use? 5 or 10? Have you tried just replacing the defective drive with a new one then re-starting the system again instead of repairing it?

gerald m, Dec 13, 2021 @ 13:04
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Re: any advanced SYNOLOGY experts around ? my Storage Pool crashed
Post 2

Hi Gerald, I'm not sure. It's a Synology Hybride Raid (SHR) with data protection for 1-drive fault tolerance.

I did try replacing the defectgive drive but since it's drive 1 that is defective it has the operating system on it or at least the file structures, so when replaced it didn't show my files on the disks anymore, so I swapped it back for the defective one.

Meantime I've copied most of the data onto another drive, so will attempt repairing it I think. It's just that some files are damaged/corrupt so I may loose those it seems.

any ideas ?

Hi Gerald, I'm not sure. It's a Synology Hybride Raid (SHR) with data protection for 1-drive fault tolerance.

I did try replacing the defectgive drive but since it's drive 1 that is defective it has the operating system on it or at least the file structures, so when replaced it didn't show my files on the disks anymore, so I swapped it back for the defective one.

Meantime I've copied most of the data onto another drive, so will attempt repairing it I think. It's just that some files are damaged/corrupt so I may loose those it seems.

any ideas ?

Erik, Dec 14, 2021 @ 16:19
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
2 Replies | 1160 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form