Login or Sign Up

Global Forums > General > bill dispute

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
bill dispute

Hi all,

After settling into Switzerland it seems like some businesses have an interesting way of operating. We were looking at a property and close to selecting it as our long term rental, but once they provided a contract for the property, the terms changed (significant additional monthly fees which were not communicated upon specific question when viewing the property) and as such we did not proceed as the property was 15% higher. However, the real estate agent is now serving us with a bill for 215 francs for not going ahead. 

This seems like a bit of a ruse to me as they said the property was xK per month, but when we got to the 'point of no return' the price went up so we were supposedly subject to a fee. 

I also requested (in writing) notice ahead of any allocation of this property, as we had other applications on another property. This also was not provided. 

Does anyone have advice on how to handle this dispute? if they do not back down are people aware of consumer rights?

Thanks in advance 

The text you are quoting:

Hi all,

After settling into Switzerland it seems like some businesses have an interesting way of operating. We were looking at a property and close to selecting it as our long term rental, but once they provided a contract for the property, the terms changed (significant additional monthly fees which were not communicated upon specific question when viewing the property) and as such we did not proceed as the property was 15% higher. However, the real estate agent is now serving us with a bill for 215 francs for not going ahead. 

This seems like a bit of a ruse to me as they said the property was xK per month, but when we got to the 'point of no return' the price went up so we were supposedly subject to a fee. 

I also requested (in writing) notice ahead of any allocation of this property, as we had other applications on another property. This also was not provided. 

Does anyone have advice on how to handle this dispute? if they do not back down are people aware of consumer rights?

Thanks in advance 

James LAug 22, 2018 @ 13:30
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

4 Replies | 933 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: bill dispute
Post 1

Don’t waste any more time, just contact ASLOCA (tenants’ protection organization) straight away.

All the best,

R.

Don’t waste any more time, just contact ASLOCA (tenants’ protection organization) straight away.

All the best,

R.

Ritchie, Aug 22, 2018 @ 14:39
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

Thanks Richie - great advice!

Thanks Richie - great advice!

James L, Aug 22, 2018 @ 14:44
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

There is not even a contract signed, so I don't see on which basis the real estate agent can charge you this amount.

Maybe the agent asked you to sign a document where it says that a fixed fee of CHF 215.- will be charged for the review of each application whether it leads to the signing of a lease agreement or not.

I recommend you not to spend too much money and time on legal advise for this small amount in dispute, unless the real estate agent threatens you with legal action (poursuite etc.)

There is not even a contract signed, so I don't see on which basis the real estate agent can charge you this amount.

Maybe the agent asked you to sign a document where it says that a fixed fee of CHF 215.- will be charged for the review of each application whether it leads to the signing of a lease agreement or not.

I recommend you not to spend too much money and time on legal advise for this small amount in dispute, unless the real estate agent threatens you with legal action (poursuite etc.)

Alexandre P, Aug 22, 2018 @ 23:38
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

Did you ever sign anything?

If not - simply don't pay a single CHF

Keep well

herbert