Login or Sign Up

Global Forums > General > eating for less

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
eating for less
Ok, dining out is not the cheapest in Switzerland so I thought I would share a few of the places I have found that don't cost an arm and a leg.

1. Of course, there is the classic "Chez my cousine on y mange le poulet" You get 1/2 chicken& potatoes & salad for 13.90. Can't find much cheaper for a full meal in a restaurant. There is 3? locations, one in the old town, one by Manor, one in Petit Saconnex. I recommend the old town, but Im partial to that part of the city. Check out: http://www.chezmacousine.ch/

2. Mikado. rue de l'Ancien-Port 9, 1201 Geneve (Paquis)
Well known place for good, affordable, ready to go sushi, sashimi, or japanese salads. You can get it to go (during warmer weather its perfect place to get something, then go sit out by the lake) or sit down at one of the few tables for lunch (beware, there is usually a line out the door during weekday lunch hours, but it moves fast). It is also a grocery store selling Japanese products.

3. Why not eat lunch at one of the international organizations?
Fun thing (well in my humble opinion) to do is to eat at the cafeterias of the IO's. They usually have good food & it's not too expensive. I went to WIPO the other day and had white fish (forget the name..) in a tomato sauce, wild rice and green beans for 9 francs. If anything, I enjoy the people watching. Be ready to provide id (sometimes passport) in exchange for a visitor pass. Disclaimer: i cant guarantee this is true for every IO.

4. Manor:
You have probably heard of the cafeteria at Manor, but for the first couple weeks I managed to miss out on the grocery store part downstairs.
They have a nice selection of sandwiches, pizza, quiche, bread. Try the cheesy foccaccia warm from the oven. Yumm. Also, beautiful tarts. They even had pumpkin pie for a couple weeks. Sadly, no more..
Also, if you venture into the actual grocery, they have a big selection of ready-to-go salads and "plate of the day" . Try their fresh soups.

More to come..
The text you are quoting:
Ok, dining out is not the cheapest in Switzerland so I thought I would share a few of the places I have found that don't cost an arm and a leg.

1. Of course, there is the classic "Chez my cousine on y mange le poulet" You get 1/2 chicken& potatoes & salad for 13.90. Can't find much cheaper for a full meal in a restaurant. There is 3? locations, one in the old town, one by Manor, one in Petit Saconnex. I recommend the old town, but Im partial to that part of the city. Check out: http://www.chezmacousine.ch/

2. Mikado. rue de l'Ancien-Port 9, 1201 Geneve (Paquis)
Well known place for good, affordable, ready to go sushi, sashimi, or japanese salads. You can get it to go (during warmer weather its perfect place to get something, then go sit out by the lake) or sit down at one of the few tables for lunch (beware, there is usually a line out the door during weekday lunch hours, but it moves fast). It is also a grocery store selling Japanese products.

3. Why not eat lunch at one of the international organizations?
Fun thing (well in my humble opinion) to do is to eat at the cafeterias of the IO's. They usually have good food & it's not too expensive. I went to WIPO the other day and had white fish (forget the name..) in a tomato sauce, wild rice and green beans for 9 francs. If anything, I enjoy the people watching. Be ready to provide id (sometimes passport) in exchange for a visitor pass. Disclaimer: i cant guarantee this is true for every IO.

4. Manor:
You have probably heard of the cafeteria at Manor, but for the first couple weeks I managed to miss out on the grocery store part downstairs.
They have a nice selection of sandwiches, pizza, quiche, bread. Try the cheesy foccaccia warm from the oven. Yumm. Also, beautiful tarts. They even had pumpkin pie for a couple weeks. Sadly, no more..
Also, if you venture into the actual grocery, they have a big selection of ready-to-go salads and "plate of the day" . Try their fresh soups.

More to come..
NisaJan 5, 2006 @ 17:58
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

2 Replies | 1704 Views      |  Send to friend

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Re: eating for less
Post 1
Hey, you should include in your list the hidden erithrian restaurant where you can eat a lot of really nice food for about 13CHF. Just don't ask me where it is because it is hidden.

Also, there are the chinese restaurants, like la feuille de banane that serves delicious dishes for around 15CHF.
The text you are quoting:
Hey, you should include in your list the hidden erithrian restaurant where you can eat a lot of really nice food for about 13CHF. Just don't ask me where it is because it is hidden.

Also, there are the chinese restaurants, like la feuille de banane that serves delicious dishes for around 15CHF.
zenbrain, Jan 5, 2006 @ 18:29
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin
2 Replies | 1704 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form