Login or Sign Up

Global Forums > General > happy thanksgiving to all the yankees

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
happy thanksgiving to all the yankees
to all those who are missing the turkey , the trimmings and the company , happy thanksgiving !!!!
and may you get sick on toooooo much pumkin pie :-)
The text you are quoting:
to all those who are missing the turkey , the trimmings and the company , happy thanksgiving !!!!
and may you get sick on toooooo much pumkin pie :-)
tantienNov 25, 2005 @ 05:45
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

6 Replies | 1099 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: happy thanksgiving to all the yankees
Post 1
cause I don't think that the term "Yankee" is in this case an offense to you guys, it's actually a friendly way to call you.
it's like for french people, you (and by you, I mean all non-french people) call us "frogs", Chinese people are "Chings" and so on...

Welcome to our World mate :-))) lol
cause I don't think that the term "Yankee" is in this case an offense to you guys, it's actually a friendly way to call you.
it's like for french people, you (and by you, I mean all non-french people) call us "frogs", Chinese people are "Chings" and so on...

Welcome to our World mate :-))) lol

Phoebe, Nov 26, 2005 @ 03:45
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2
huge apology frm me , wasn't the intention believe me , am in usa currently , connecticut and I have just experienced my first thanksgiving and I think I managed to get rather jovial and caught up in the whole thing ..... have just been brought up to scratch on the history as to the word .
happy thanksgiving :-)
huge apology frm me , wasn't the intention believe me , am in usa currently , connecticut and I have just experienced my first thanksgiving and I think I managed to get rather jovial and caught up in the whole thing ..... have just been brought up to scratch on the history as to the word .
happy thanksgiving :-)

tantien, Nov 26, 2005 @ 06:47
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3
Being from the northe easy US, we call ourselves yankees...and we are proud of it. Yet, we do not consider anyone outside of the New England states to be yankees....and yes, that does include the New York baseball team.
So, i guess it depends on where you are from in the US, but I am proud to be a yank!
Being from the northe easy US, we call ourselves yankees...and we are proud of it. Yet, we do not consider anyone outside of the New England states to be yankees....and yes, that does include the New York baseball team.
So, i guess it depends on where you are from in the US, but I am proud to be a yank!
Jillybeano, Nov 27, 2005 @ 23:11
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4
first off , thanks sherri for getting back to me .
now it seems there is this whole north south thing back home aswell !!
I was born in johannesburg , now call home cape town and man do we have some interesting terms for eachother . bearing in mind that how the terms are used and intended inferrs its negative /positive feeling )
its been known to referr to people in the north ie:joburg as being "otherside the boerewors curtain" ( ref:the iron curtain , this curtain being a traditional south african type of sausage !!! )
can also be referred to as "rock spiders" , that one usually triggers the great olympic sport of wielding bar stools :-)
I have commonly been referred to at home ( both in jest/fun and negatively )as a "rooineck" and or "soutie"...our history being rather complicated and cunfusssssed in the early years , the rooineck means "redneck" as in doesn't tan very well ( ie:european in those days )....the next one always cracks me up though
hows this :

soutie = salty ie : one foot in europe , one foot in africa (south) and youre proverbial third leg ( mmmmm this means the well huung european )hanging in the ocean ....hence SALTY !!!! go figure ..

there are a host of others and the history of my country being what it is ( apartheid and our new democracy ) it becomes complicated and its usually wise to walk very carefully .

wonder if anyone has ever put together a type of dictionary of these wounderfull terms of endearment .....that should be an interesting one ????

:-)
first off , thanks sherri for getting back to me .
now it seems there is this whole north south thing back home aswell !!
I was born in johannesburg , now call home cape town and man do we have some interesting terms for eachother . bearing in mind that how the terms are used and intended inferrs its negative /positive feeling )
its been known to referr to people in the north ie:joburg as being "otherside the boerewors curtain" ( ref:the iron curtain , this curtain being a traditional south african type of sausage !!! )
can also be referred to as "rock spiders" , that one usually triggers the great olympic sport of wielding bar stools :-)
I have commonly been referred to at home ( both in jest/fun and negatively )as a "rooineck" and or "soutie"...our history being rather complicated and cunfusssssed in the early years , the rooineck means "redneck" as in doesn't tan very well ( ie:european in those days )....the next one always cracks me up though
hows this :

soutie = salty ie : one foot in europe , one foot in africa (south) and youre proverbial third leg ( mmmmm this means the well huung european )hanging in the ocean ....hence SALTY !!!! go figure ..

there are a host of others and the history of my country being what it is ( apartheid and our new democracy ) it becomes complicated and its usually wise to walk very carefully .

wonder if anyone has ever put together a type of dictionary of these wounderfull terms of endearment .....that should be an interesting one ????

:-)
tantien, Nov 28, 2005 @ 21:04
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5
I've heard it said in the southern US that there is a difference between a yankee and a "damn yankee"...

a yankee goes home.

Yankee is certainly not as offensive as it's rhyming slang versions (wank or "septic tank") that we sometimes get from those limey poms and convict aussies. :)

Happy Holidays!!!
I've heard it said in the southern US that there is a difference between a yankee and a "damn yankee"...

a yankee goes home.

Yankee is certainly not as offensive as it's rhyming slang versions (wank or "septic tank") that we sometimes get from those limey poms and convict aussies. :)

Happy Holidays!!!
Double_D, Nov 29, 2005 @ 17:40
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
6 Replies | 1099 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form