Login or Sign Up

Global Forums > General > music , where is that NEW CUTTING EDGE ????

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
music , where is that NEW CUTTING EDGE ????
TANTIEN here , music being my life in many ways if not all , I am really curious to find out where the undercurrents are going in the stuff we listen too , buy , make and if anyone agrees with me that music industry is pretty stagnant at the mo.have some ideas on the music available to us today and where it can go .... really curious to hear some glorious words of wisdom .
Whats happening out there ...?????
The text you are quoting:
TANTIEN here , music being my life in many ways if not all , I am really curious to find out where the undercurrents are going in the stuff we listen too , buy , make and if anyone agrees with me that music industry is pretty stagnant at the mo.have some ideas on the music available to us today and where it can go .... really curious to hear some glorious words of wisdom .
Whats happening out there ...?????
tantienNov 10, 2005 @ 22:18
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

6 Replies | 975 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: music , where is that NEW CUTTING EDGE ????
Post 1
B4 giving our pearls of wisdom (rare indeed), what do U consider as CUTTING edge in music?

On a top of mind thought, there's nuttin much new out there...it's like the movies, it's all remakes, prequels, sequels, etc...
B4 giving our pearls of wisdom (rare indeed), what do U consider as CUTTING edge in music?

On a top of mind thought, there's nuttin much new out there...it's like the movies, it's all remakes, prequels, sequels, etc...
Tigger, Nov 11, 2005 @ 19:02
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2
yup , where is the original , not remade rehashed etc.
as to my version of cutting edge :its music that gives you something real , a melody that pops into youre head when you least expect it , a line of lyrics that at that particular moment really means something to you , a track that triggers memories ( nostalgia )
basically what I'm driving at is REAL EMOTIONAL CONTENT packaged in a kick ass track !!! I think everyone already knows about "money , cars , chicks ( booty )( sorry girls ) , but when last did you have a cd /song that helped you through a break-up , that was all you listened to when you had the best time of youre life , a track/cd that helped something go click in youre head over something you were worried about
I have some music which does that for me , everyones different though , let me know and I would love to post some titles and examples of my stuff at home
ps:I don't think I'm alone in this , but I'm curious ...
thanks for checking it out
tantien
yup , where is the original , not remade rehashed etc.
as to my version of cutting edge :its music that gives you something real , a melody that pops into youre head when you least expect it , a line of lyrics that at that particular moment really means something to you , a track that triggers memories ( nostalgia )
basically what I'm driving at is REAL EMOTIONAL CONTENT packaged in a kick ass track !!! I think everyone already knows about "money , cars , chicks ( booty )( sorry girls ) , but when last did you have a cd /song that helped you through a break-up , that was all you listened to when you had the best time of youre life , a track/cd that helped something go click in youre head over something you were worried about
I have some music which does that for me , everyones different though , let me know and I would love to post some titles and examples of my stuff at home
ps:I don't think I'm alone in this , but I'm curious ...
thanks for checking it out
tantien
tantien, Nov 12, 2005 @ 02:58
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3
So Old music is better than New music? But we're saying that today's music is old music redone, so it's old music and hence better anyway..but it's new music..wait...wat we talkin about?

Music, like all our arts, is a reflection of our society's values and current events. If current music talks about money, cars and booty, this is what our society is like today....
Do u know this song..
"love, soft as an easy chair
love, fresh as the morning air"

Wen was the last time u've ever felt love that's soft as an easy chair? Does anybody know wat an easy chair is?

Today we have..
"dont cha u wish ur girlfriend is hot like me,
dont cha u wish ur girlfriend is free like me"

And we can ALL relate to that, cant we?

So Old music is better than New music? But we're saying that today's music is old music redone, so it's old music and hence better anyway..but it's new music..wait...wat we talkin about?

Music, like all our arts, is a reflection of our society's values and current events. If current music talks about money, cars and booty, this is what our society is like today....
Do u know this song..
"love, soft as an easy chair
love, fresh as the morning air"

Wen was the last time u've ever felt love that's soft as an easy chair? Does anybody know wat an easy chair is?

Today we have..
"dont cha u wish ur girlfriend is hot like me,
dont cha u wish ur girlfriend is free like me"

And we can ALL relate to that, cant we?

Tigger, Nov 18, 2005 @ 11:29
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4
I had to take two on youre opening line ....nice !!!
as always , supposedly music is a reflection of society , right so why all the material lyrics , free sex & abandon everything remotely decent !! ( that should raise a few ... )way back when , say 70's , exit major world crap ( ie: preceding couple decades ) all the music was about love man !!, 80's was descovering sex as marketing tool in all media , 90's drugs , partying aaannnddd DA COMPUTAAA mmmm!!
sorry , anyway what I'm driving at as a personal sort of journy of descovery is what is next , lets try some prediction for a change .

If we are a function of all the choices we ever made in our lives to date and are wholy and completely responsible for them and who/what we are now ( sorry bout the philisofical twist , its another tool , like youre logic , makes a potent tool box mm ? ), then by saying that we are in a position to choose and design our own future within our reality .....so we can choose our music , not what we listen to , but what we make ( truer reflection ?? )
if you were to write a track that reflected where you were at , where you wanted to be ( looking at now and ahead ) ...what would you want to say , that would mean something to somebody else
the new Johnny cash movie , saw the trailer and theres a part where a guy tells Johnny to make music that makes a difference ...and he came up witha Killer sound , not soppy stuff either .

I'm not saying save the world witha song , but think about how powerfull music actually is ...
watch a film like brave heart without the soundtrack , what happens at a party when the music stops , etc
( as u can see this is big passion of mine )
says the musician who can't read music lol !!

anyway theres a track I'd like you to look up if u have the time , on a Thievery Corporation cd called "abductions and reconstructions" , track 1 by david byrne ( ex:talking heads )called "dance on vaseline"
after hearing that , what if ?
can I make a track that says :I'm not interested in free chicks cause I don't know who else has been there !!!money is the cherry on the cake , not the cake ( I know some rich , miserable buggers )
oh and : my easy chair is the bucket seat in my car after a solid night out :-)!!!

excuse the long winded , but where to begin , there is sooooo much !!

and if you wrote those lyrics , we can do some business !!!

tantien
I had to take two on youre opening line ....nice !!!
as always , supposedly music is a reflection of society , right so why all the material lyrics , free sex & abandon everything remotely decent !! ( that should raise a few ... )way back when , say 70's , exit major world crap ( ie: preceding couple decades ) all the music was about love man !!, 80's was descovering sex as marketing tool in all media , 90's drugs , partying aaannnddd DA COMPUTAAA mmmm!!
sorry , anyway what I'm driving at as a personal sort of journy of descovery is what is next , lets try some prediction for a change .

If we are a function of all the choices we ever made in our lives to date and are wholy and completely responsible for them and who/what we are now ( sorry bout the philisofical twist , its another tool , like youre logic , makes a potent tool box mm ? ), then by saying that we are in a position to choose and design our own future within our reality .....so we can choose our music , not what we listen to , but what we make ( truer reflection ?? )
if you were to write a track that reflected where you were at , where you wanted to be ( looking at now and ahead ) ...what would you want to say , that would mean something to somebody else
the new Johnny cash movie , saw the trailer and theres a part where a guy tells Johnny to make music that makes a difference ...and he came up witha Killer sound , not soppy stuff either .

I'm not saying save the world witha song , but think about how powerfull music actually is ...
watch a film like brave heart without the soundtrack , what happens at a party when the music stops , etc
( as u can see this is big passion of mine )
says the musician who can't read music lol !!

anyway theres a track I'd like you to look up if u have the time , on a Thievery Corporation cd called "abductions and reconstructions" , track 1 by david byrne ( ex:talking heads )called "dance on vaseline"
after hearing that , what if ?
can I make a track that says :I'm not interested in free chicks cause I don't know who else has been there !!!money is the cherry on the cake , not the cake ( I know some rich , miserable buggers )
oh and : my easy chair is the bucket seat in my car after a solid night out :-)!!!

excuse the long winded , but where to begin , there is sooooo much !!

and if you wrote those lyrics , we can do some business !!!

tantien
tantien, Nov 19, 2005 @ 04:28
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5
Take 4 for not knowing where these lyrics come from!!

Evergreen, Barbara Streisand, Google it if u must ; )

So...if we are the result of all the choices we ever made in our lives, r u saying that we had a choice in being born? Bcoz i dont remember asking my mummy for this...

Agreed that music is one of the ways in which we interact with the world..it is an artform, hence, an expression of ourselves. This brings to mind the question, y r humans the only animals who need to leave an imprint, a mark on the world? All other animals live, and then die, not leaving one individual imprint of themselves, except in their descendents, and even then, it is a combined part with their mate's genes. We are the only animals who leave unique marks in the form of our art (from cave paintings to music, literature whatever) for the generations to come. Y?

Back to music. Current trends in society are going towards affirmation of self and narcissism and what does that predict for the future of music? I have no clue how to read or write music...yet I have garageband on my mac and I can, if i wish, make an "unique" piece of music all by myself. One path for the future is empowerment through technology...wat say u?

I didnt write those lyrics, Tantien, but maybe we can still do some business : )
Take 4 for not knowing where these lyrics come from!!

Evergreen, Barbara Streisand, Google it if u must ; )

So...if we are the result of all the choices we ever made in our lives, r u saying that we had a choice in being born? Bcoz i dont remember asking my mummy for this...

Agreed that music is one of the ways in which we interact with the world..it is an artform, hence, an expression of ourselves. This brings to mind the question, y r humans the only animals who need to leave an imprint, a mark on the world? All other animals live, and then die, not leaving one individual imprint of themselves, except in their descendents, and even then, it is a combined part with their mate's genes. We are the only animals who leave unique marks in the form of our art (from cave paintings to music, literature whatever) for the generations to come. Y?

Back to music. Current trends in society are going towards affirmation of self and narcissism and what does that predict for the future of music? I have no clue how to read or write music...yet I have garageband on my mac and I can, if i wish, make an "unique" piece of music all by myself. One path for the future is empowerment through technology...wat say u?

I didnt write those lyrics, Tantien, but maybe we can still do some business : )
Tigger, Nov 21, 2005 @ 12:15
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
6 Replies | 975 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form