Login or Sign Up

Forums in Geneva > Geneva > (Non-EU) Incoming UN intern in Geneva - Can I rent a flat over the French border?

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
(Non-EU) Incoming UN intern in Geneva - Can I rent a flat over the French border?

Hi everyone, this is my first post - have been lurking on Glocals for a while reading threads on flat-finding but it seems there hasn't been anyone addressing this problem yet.

I am going to start an internship at the UN from January to July 2015. Compared to others, my mobility is rather limited - I come from a developing country so have to apply for a Schengen visa just to come to Geneva before I can apply for a Carte de Légitimation.

Recently I have come across a nice studio in Gaillard (over the border near Thônex) which is affordable compared to other flats/studios in Geneva. However, a friend of mine who studies in Geneva has told me that a permit is needed to rent a flat in France, and that my Carte de Légitimation would not allow me to live over the French border. So I would like to ask:

- Is that really the case that I have to have the French permit if I want to rent (sign a contract, become an official tenant, etc.) over the border?
- I have relatives living in France. Can I ask them to rent the flat then 'sublet' it back to me?
- Will it affect my application for the Carte if I have a French address (while not being permitted to rent in France)?

Really looking forward to your answers.

Michael

The text you are quoting:

Hi everyone, this is my first post - have been lurking on Glocals for a while reading threads on flat-finding but it seems there hasn't been anyone addressing this problem yet.

I am going to start an internship at the UN from January to July 2015. Compared to others, my mobility is rather limited - I come from a developing country so have to apply for a Schengen visa just to come to Geneva before I can apply for a Carte de Légitimation.

Recently I have come across a nice studio in Gaillard (over the border near Thônex) which is affordable compared to other flats/studios in Geneva. However, a friend of mine who studies in Geneva has told me that a permit is needed to rent a flat in France, and that my Carte de Légitimation would not allow me to live over the French border. So I would like to ask:

- Is that really the case that I have to have the French permit if I want to rent (sign a contract, become an official tenant, etc.) over the border?
- I have relatives living in France. Can I ask them to rent the flat then 'sublet' it back to me?
- Will it affect my application for the Carte if I have a French address (while not being permitted to rent in France)?

Michael

Michael NNov 11, 2014 @ 19:09
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

7 Replies | 2276 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: (Non-EU) Incoming UN intern in Geneva - Can I rent a flat over the French border?
Post 1

I have sent a p.m. to your Inbox.

Best, R.

I have sent a p.m. to your Inbox.

Best, R.

Ritchie, Nov 11, 2014 @ 21:02
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Re: (Non-EU) Incoming UN intern in Geneva - Can I rent a flat over the French border?
Post 2

Michael

Nov 11, 14 19:09

Hi Michael, though its an old post, the questions you have raised are quite relevant to my current situation. Did you manage to rent a flat in France while working in Geneva? 

Hi Michael, though its an old post, the questions you have raised are quite relevant to my current situation. Did you manage to rent a flat in France while working in Geneva? 

Pramesh P, Mar 8, 2022 @ 16:49
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

Hello Ritchie, 

Could you please advise me on the questions raised by Michael 8 years ago. I am almost in the similar situation as he was then. 

Thank you!

Pramesh

Hello Ritchie, 

Could you please advise me on the questions raised by Michael 8 years ago. I am almost in the similar situation as he was then. 

Thank you!

Pramesh

Pramesh P, Mar 8, 2022 @ 16:50
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

Hello Ritchie, 

Thank you!

Pramesh

Mar 8, 22 16:50

Please check your Inbox for a personal reply.

Thanks, R.

Please check your Inbox for a personal reply.

Thanks, R.

Ritchie, Mar 8, 2022 @ 20:15
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5

Hello.

I am also curious about the eligibility for non-EU passport holders to reside in France while working in Geneva for the first time.

Dear @Ritchie and @Pramesh P, could you please share your experience? I am a Ukrainian who has got a jof offer with the IO in Geneva recently. Many thanks.

Iryna

Hello.

I am also curious about the eligibility for non-EU passport holders to reside in France while working in Geneva for the first time.

Dear @Ritchie and @Pramesh P, could you please share your experience? I am a Ukrainian who has got a jof offer with the IO in Geneva recently. Many thanks.

Iryna

Iryna Aleksieieva, Apr 10, 2022 @ 22:30
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6

Hello Iryna,

Welcome to Geneva may not be a proper greeting to you as you must have left your country in a difficult circumstances but still warm welcome to you here!!

Unfortunately, I have not been able to explore more. 

Should I have more info, I will share with you and expect the same from you. 

Warm regards,

Pramesh

Hello Iryna,

Welcome to Geneva may not be a proper greeting to you as you must have left your country in a difficult circumstances but still warm welcome to you here!!

Unfortunately, I have not been able to explore more. 

Should I have more info, I will share with you and expect the same from you. 

Warm regards,

Pramesh

Pramesh P, Apr 13, 2022 @ 15:25
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 7

Hello.

Iryna

Apr 10, 22 22:30

Normally you can't. Some people do it but that's not completely legal as your permit allows you to only live in a certain canton of Switzerland. In any case, you need to have an official address in Geneva.

Normally you can't. Some people do it but that's not completely legal as your permit allows you to only live in a certain canton of Switzerland. In any case, you need to have an official address in Geneva.

Kseniya K, Apr 16, 2022 @ 00:02
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
7 Replies | 2276 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form