Login or Sign Up

Forums in Geneva > Geneva > purse snatched at cafe remor

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
purse snatched at cafe remor

hi there,

i almost got my purse stolen at cafe remor last night. luckily my friend chased the guy and got it back for me.

we couldnt report the person as i got my bag back and nothing was taken inside, so please just keep an eye on your purse when you go out.

This guy, who was big and tall and had a black coat, who someone said looked egyptian (I didnt see his face), walked slowly through remor, and as he was going by me he was bending down slowly, i thought, to pick something up off the floor. We just thought he was a lost weirdo. he left, i checked for my purse and it was gone. me and my friend ran out to find the guy, and she got it from him, after a bit of struggle. Unfortunately she found out the guy was carrying a knife but luckily she was not hurt.

I am sure this type of thing is not new, but I have never had anything like this happen to me in 4 years here and never seen this happen at remor.

Kristine

The text you are quoting:

hi there,

i almost got my purse stolen at cafe remor last night. luckily my friend chased the guy and got it back for me.

we couldnt report the person as i got my bag back and nothing was taken inside, so please just keep an eye on your purse when you go out.

This guy, who was big and tall and had a black coat, who someone said looked egyptian (I didnt see his face), walked slowly through remor, and as he was going by me he was bending down slowly, i thought, to pick something up off the floor. We just thought he was a lost weirdo. he left, i checked for my purse and it was gone. me and my friend ran out to find the guy, and she got it from him, after a bit of struggle. Unfortunately she found out the guy was carrying a knife but luckily she was not hurt.

I am sure this type of thing is not new, but I have never had anything like this happen to me in 4 years here and never seen this happen at remor.

Kristine

chrigelaFeb 9, 2011 @ 12:41
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

30 Replies | 2785 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: purse snatched at cafe remor
Post 1

someone said looked egyptian

wtf!!!

Was he carrying an anti-Mubarak banner?!??!

wtf!!!

Casuistik, Feb 9, 2011 @ 13:16
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

hi there,

Kristine

Feb 9, 11 12:41

This is horrible Kristine, thanks for sharing!!

I think you just wanted to describe the guy - surely nothing against any nationality!

This is horrible Kristine, thanks for sharing!!

I think you just wanted to describe the guy - surely nothing against any nationality!

rena, Feb 9, 2011 @ 14:01
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

wtf!!!

Feb 9, 11 13:16

ha! i shouldnt even put that he looked egyptian, its what someone at another table said. sorry if i offended anyone, was not my intent!

ha! i shouldnt even put that he looked egyptian, its what someone at another table said. sorry if i offended anyone, was not my intent!

chrigela, Feb 9, 2011 @ 14:21
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

Yes, it's wrong to identify a race with a specific country - unless of course he was wearing a fez and making good his escape on a camel...!

Yes, it's wrong to identify a race with a specific country - unless of course he was wearing a fez and making good his escape on a camel...!

Deano1uk, Feb 9, 2011 @ 14:49
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5

Are you sure it was not this guy?

http://www.glocals.com/#/members/member_profile/2207

He was raised in Africa and people sometimes mistake him for an Egyptian :D

catalin, Feb 9, 2011 @ 15:10
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6

There are two guys who cruise around Riverside Cafe who snatch handbags... be careful. They'll sit next to a woman smoking for 2 secs and next thing theyre off with bag and a quick hand over...

Seemingly all too common these days....

Cat..... speechless....

There are two guys who cruise around Riverside Cafe who snatch handbags... be careful. They'll sit next to a woman smoking for 2 secs and next thing theyre off with bag and a quick hand over...

Seemingly all too common these days....

Cat..... speechless....

Charlie, Feb 9, 2011 @ 16:43
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 7

Kristine... I thought you reporting that people were saying the black coat was Egyptian...Glad you got your purse back...

@Jason F

"I would not in a million years have drwan any offence whatsoever if you had conveyed the fact that he was white. And, saddenly, no-one would have written any protestations if you had in defence of white people in general. But not all playing fields are level, certainly not the politically correct variety."

Hmmmm......I think I'll let Don Draper comment...

Kristine... I thought you reporting that people were saying the black coat was Egyptian...Glad you got your purse back...

@Jason F

"I would not in a million years have drwan any offence whatsoever if you had conveyed the fact that he was white. And, saddenly, no-one would have written any protestations if you had in defence of white people in general. But not all playing fields are level, certainly not the politically correct variety."

Hmmmm......I think I'll let Don Draper comment...

Translator, Feb 9, 2011 @ 16:58
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 8

Feb 9, 11 15:10

Real name is Aftab Ali Babar, the lion tamer from Alexandria... and I take no sh1t neither from camels, nor mummies. Nor do I need to snatch purses, but I have been known to ....oh bollocks...never mind...

jokes on me Ha bloody Ha

Real name is Aftab Ali Babar, the lion tamer from Alexandria... and I take no sh1t neither from camels, nor mummies. Nor do I need to snatch purses, but I have been known to ....oh bollocks...never mind...

jokes on me Ha bloody Ha

Charlie, Feb 9, 2011 @ 17:01
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 9

Feb 9, 11 14:21

Casuistik, Feb 9, 2011 @ 17:27
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 10

Translator, Feb 9, 2011 @ 17:43
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 11

hi there,

Kristine

i think you should've reported it anyway

somebody who gets your purse and then gives it back is NOT somebody abiding by the law.. so the police could have at least opened a file on him

i think you should've reported it anyway

somebody who gets your purse and then gives it back is NOT somebody abiding by the law.. so the police could have at least opened a file on him

Irene T, Feb 9, 2011 @ 18:03
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 12

Feb 9, 11 17:27

OMG Too hilarious! where do you find these things?

OMG Too hilarious! where do you find these things?

chrigela, Feb 9, 2011 @ 18:41
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 13

Feb 9, 11 17:43

val, off the hook!

do you have a thing for canadians;-)?

val, off the hook!

do you have a thing for canadians;-)?

chrigela, Feb 9, 2011 @ 18:48
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 14

You know.... Canadians are the frozen chozen!

You know.... Canadians are the frozen chozen!

Translator, Feb 9, 2011 @ 18:59
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 15

PS  Hope that Mountie is part of the citizenship package....Tongue out

Translator, Feb 9, 2011 @ 19:04
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 16

Feb 9, 11 19:04

Val, usually Paul Gross is our chozen frozen. from the tv show Due South.

Here is he, just for you:

chrigela, Feb 9, 2011 @ 19:34
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 17

sorry, should replace usually, with more well-known.

sorry, should replace usually, with more well-known.

chrigela, Feb 9, 2011 @ 19:42
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 18

Feb 9, 11 19:34

Im drooling all over the keyboard now!

Im drooling all over the keyboard now!

Maria_, Feb 9, 2011 @ 19:47
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 19

Me too I used to love that show and him!!!!!

Me too I used to love that show and him!!!!!

pazzer, Feb 9, 2011 @ 19:50
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 20

Feb 9, 11 14:49

(((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((-:

(((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((-:

Amel, Feb 10, 2011 @ 22:33
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 21

hi there,

Kristine

May I rent your friend?

May I rent your friend?

Amel, Feb 10, 2011 @ 22:53
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 22

Translator, Feb 10, 2011 @ 23:06
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 23

Thanks for sharing, Christine. And thanks for mentioning that the thief had a mediterranean look. It is extremely important so that people can keep their eyes open. I'm sure you were neither the first nor the last victime in Remor and in other places in town these days.

And this would perhaps be an opportunity for all the hypersensitive humanistic virtuous beautiful souls who get so deeply offended when thieves and other criminals are designated by their external looks or ethnic type- to take a big breath, and remove their pink glasses in order to take a glance at the reality around them. 

Thanks for sharing, Christine. And thanks for mentioning that the thief had a mediterranean look. It is extremely important so that people can keep their eyes open. I'm sure you were neither the first nor the last victime in Remor and in other places in town these days.

And this would perhaps be an opportunity for all the hypersensitive humanistic virtuous beautiful souls who get so deeply offended when thieves and other criminals are designated by their external looks or ethnic type- to take a big breath, and remove their pink glasses in order to take a glance at the reality around them. 

ella123, Mar 10, 2013 @ 17:10
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 24

Feb 9, 11 14:49

Just by the way -- the fez is symbolic of the Ottoman Empire and became fashionable in Egypt during the  occupation.  Since then its popularity has steadily declined so that it has rarely been worn in public for the past 50 years at least.

R.

Just by the way -- the fez is symbolic of the Ottoman Empire and became fashionable in Egypt during the  occupation.  Since then its popularity has steadily declined so that it has rarely been worn in public for the past 50 years at least.

R.

Ritchie, Mar 10, 2013 @ 17:33
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 25

We always here Geneva ain't safe anymore and we hear stories of street crime, but it happens to us personally it's still surprising and shocking.

Glad you got the purse back Kristine. That friend of yours is a brave woman!

We always here Geneva ain't safe anymore and we hear stories of street crime, but it happens to us personally it's still surprising and shocking.

Glad you got the purse back Kristine. That friend of yours is a brave woman!

Nir Ofek, Mar 10, 2013 @ 18:20
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 26

Jan 1, 70 01:00

When this also happened to me one time, I said (while holding on tight to my bag) “What a coincidence, I found a ring myself just now.  I’m on my way to the Police Station.   Wanna come?”

He mumbled something I didn’t understand and scarpered.

I did feel a little shaky afterwards  though.

R.

When this also happened to me one time, I said (while holding on tight to my bag) “What a coincidence, I found a ring myself just now.  I’m on my way to the Police Station.   Wanna come?”

He mumbled something I didn’t understand and scarpered.

I did feel a little shaky afterwards  though.

R.

Ritchie, Mar 10, 2013 @ 18:06
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 27

Jan 1, 70 01:00

An english colleague and I was also walking in Eaux Vivre and this guy also did this Gold ring trick , we just laught at him and said Pickpocket fool.

They are amazingly bold and usually have a friend/spoter just a block away.

So dont surcomb to there scam

An english colleague and I was also walking in Eaux Vivre and this guy also did this Gold ring trick , we just laught at him and said Pickpocket fool.

They are amazingly bold and usually have a friend/spoter just a block away.

So dont surcomb to there scam

Dave G, Mar 10, 2013 @ 18:52
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 28

Well here is an 'interesting' one that happened to me, years ago in Caracas (Venezuela). I stayed in a cheap Hotel (no reception), and woke up in the middle of the night as the rober was leaving my room with my watch, money etc..He had literaly (silently) cut the wood part of the door locker to enter in.
I called the cops 3 times!!, wich finaly arrived 1h20 min later while I held the guy 'prisoner' in my room. Once they arrived one of them started to brutalize the guy and had to tell them to stop at once. They asked me if I wanted to file a complaint and I sayd no.
The next day as I was having a coffee on a terrass I see the same guy on the street, who comes to me and ask me if he can clean(wax) my shoes!?
After 2 seconds of silence I sayd yes, once done gave him a fiew coins and he left smiling.
I found out later that since he was minor and I had not filled a complained the police had to reliese him. 

Well here is an 'interesting' one that happened to me, years ago in Caracas (Venezuela). I stayed in a cheap Hotel (no reception), and woke up in the middle of the night as the rober was leaving my room with my watch, money etc..He had literaly (silently) cut the wood part of the door locker to enter in.
I called the cops 3 times!!, wich finaly arrived 1h20 min later while I held the guy 'prisoner' in my room. Once they arrived one of them started to brutalize the guy and had to tell them to stop at once. They asked me if I wanted to file a complaint and I sayd no.
The next day as I was having a coffee on a terrass I see the same guy on the street, who comes to me and ask me if he can clean(wax) my shoes!?
After 2 seconds of silence I sayd yes, once done gave him a fiew coins and he left smiling.
I found out later that since he was minor and I had not filled a complained the police had to reliese him. 

Michel D, Mar 10, 2013 @ 20:02
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 29

wouah your friend is very brave, but girls, don t take silly risk to get back your purse, no gucci bag deserves to be stabbed for. 

It happened to a friend, and he finish at hopital with broken jaw, all this for 20chf  and a credit card that you can immediatly blocked. 

If it happened call 117, cop will arrive very quickly ( less than 2 minutes).

wouah your friend is very brave, but girls, don t take silly risk to get back your purse, no gucci bag deserves to be stabbed for. 

It happened to a friend, and he finish at hopital with broken jaw, all this for 20chf  and a credit card that you can immediatly blocked. 

Tryky, Mar 10, 2013 @ 20:19
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 30

Mar 10, 13 20:19

Well sayd Tryky,
and there was no friend, me and myself and a thief.. 

Well sayd Tryky,
and there was no friend, me and myself and a thief.. 

Michel D, Mar 10, 2013 @ 20:55
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
30 Replies | 2785 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form