Login or Sign Up

Forums in Geneva > Geneva > 5-year lease apartment

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
5-year lease apartment

Hi community,

I'm being offered an apartment with a 5-year lease contract, but I'm not sure what the exact implications are here in Geneva. Any pitfalls one has to look out for?

What are your experiences?

Thank you very much in advance.

The text you are quoting:

Hi community,

I'm being offered an apartment with a 5-year lease contract, but I'm not sure what the exact implications are here in Geneva. Any pitfalls one has to look out for?

What are your experiences?

Thank you very much in advance.

Wolfgang SOct 24, 2018 @ 11:02
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

2 Replies | 729 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: 5-year lease apartment
Post 1

Hi Wolfgang,

The most obvious 'pitfall' is that you're committed to 5 years.
So you need to understand what happens if you want/need to leave before the 5 years are up.
Some contracts allow you to leave with 3 months notice, some allow you to leave with 1 year notice and some require that you find a tennant to replace you if you want to leave early.
So very important to understand what your contract says about leaving before 5 years are up.

Unless you're an expert in Swiss housing laws, I suggest you take the contract to ASLOCA and ask them to review it. If you get lucky and get a 'nice' ASLOCA lawyer he/she will be able to tell you if the contract includes any pitfalls you should be aware of.

Good luck,

Oded

Hi Wolfgang,

The most obvious 'pitfall' is that you're committed to 5 years.
So you need to understand what happens if you want/need to leave before the 5 years are up.
Some contracts allow you to leave with 3 months notice, some allow you to leave with 1 year notice and some require that you find a tennant to replace you if you want to leave early.
So very important to understand what your contract says about leaving before 5 years are up.

Unless you're an expert in Swiss housing laws, I suggest you take the contract to ASLOCA and ask them to review it. If you get lucky and get a 'nice' ASLOCA lawyer he/she will be able to tell you if the contract includes any pitfalls you should be aware of.

Good luck,

Oded

SiteAdmin Oded, Oct 24, 2018 @ 15:32
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin
Re: 5-year lease apartment
Post 2

Great - thank you very much !