Login or Sign Up

Forums in Geneva > Geneva > Accountant familiar with Swiss and UN tax laws

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Accountant familiar with Swiss and UN tax laws

Hello, I work for a Swiss employer and my husband works for the United Nations. I need to file a tax report but I know there are some particularities due to the fact that my husband's salary is technically deductible (although I know my tax amount will be determined based on our combined salary, yikes) and that I have UN-related benefits (health insurance, etc.) which may or may not be taken into account by Swiss law.

Can anyone recommend an accountant with experience in these situations? Thank you!

The text you are quoting:

Hello, I work for a Swiss employer and my husband works for the United Nations. I need to file a tax report but I know there are some particularities due to the fact that my husband's salary is technically deductible (although I know my tax amount will be determined based on our combined salary, yikes) and that I have UN-related benefits (health insurance, etc.) which may or may not be taken into account by Swiss law.

Can anyone recommend an accountant with experience in these situations? Thank you!

justine fJan 9, 2019 @ 14:19
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

6 Replies | 900 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Accountant familiar with Swiss and UN tax laws
Post 1

I had visited the Permanance in 2013, they dont do much. They just listed and give you 5 minutes of reading from the Code des Obligation. I walked away with no solution and 50- cash out of my wallet. They will ask it upfront.

but maybe you will be more lucky

http://www.permanence-juridique-geneve.ch

Would be great to find an accociation similiar to Asloca, for the subject of Employment disputes.

If anyone knows for Geneva and Lausanne, im sure many will appreciate.

I had visited the Permanance in 2013, they dont do much. They just listed and give you 5 minutes of reading from the Code des Obligation. I walked away with no solution and 50- cash out of my wallet. They will ask it upfront.

Would be great to find an accociation similiar to Asloca, for the subject of Employment disputes.

Dave G, Jan 9, 2019 @ 16:25
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

Jan 9, 19 14:19

I don’t know of a lawyer but has your husband thought of contacting his Staff Association?  There may well be other employees in a similar situation who have been able to “negotiate” the amount of tax to pay.  For example, that he is the main bread-winner in the family and your salary is a “contribution” to the household budget.

That said, legal advice on the wording of the claim would certainly

be advisable.

All the best, R.

I don’t know of a lawyer but has your husband thought of contacting his Staff Association?  There may well be other employees in a similar situation who have been able to “negotiate” the amount of tax to pay.  For example, that he is the main bread-winner in the family and your salary is a “contribution” to the household budget.

That said, legal advice on the wording of the claim would certainly

be advisable.

All the best, R.

Ritchie, Jan 9, 2019 @ 17:57
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

Jan 9, 19 16:25

Thanks! However I am not looking for a lawyer to contest anything (I am one myself!), but rather an accountant to help me prepare my tax report in the first place. It's the first time that I have to do that since the years before, we were not married and I was taxed "à la source" by my employer without regard to my then-boyfriend's salary. Now that we are married his earnings need to be taken into account even if he works at the UN and therefore does not pay income tax himself. Since I am not familiar with Swiss tax law and that our situation is a bit peculiar I just want to make sure that I prepare my tax report correctly and that we get as many deductions as possible.

Good idea Ritchie to contact the staff association though. We'll check it out!

Thanks! However I am not looking for a lawyer to contest anything (I am one myself!), but rather an accountant to help me prepare my tax report in the first place. It's the first time that I have to do that since the years before, we were not married and I was taxed "à la source" by my employer without regard to my then-boyfriend's salary. Now that we are married his earnings need to be taken into account even if he works at the UN and therefore does not pay income tax himself. Since I am not familiar with Swiss tax law and that our situation is a bit peculiar I just want to make sure that I prepare my tax report correctly and that we get as many deductions as possible.

Good idea Ritchie to contact the staff association though. We'll check it out!

justine f, Jan 10, 2019 @ 13:08
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

Hi Justine, I will send you information on an accountant by PM, but I am certain that the staff association as well as Human Resources at the UN agency where your spouse works will have all the necessary information. The reason is, as you may be aware, that it was only in recent years that the tax policy exempting UN employees and those of other international organizations from paying Swiss taxes was modified to require that their spouses, who are not tax-exempt, continue to pay taxes on their income only, but at a tax rate reflecting their combined income, not only their own, as previously. This forced UN agencies HR (payroll) and staff associations to become familiar with Swiss tax code and what items in addition to salary (insurance, benefits, allowances, etc) have to be taken in account for the figure to be tallied. In our agency, they paid the difference in increased household taxes for one year, so HR and finances/payroll made sure they got the policy right. I imagine other UN agencies did the same.

If you need additional information after talking to them, they may also be able to recommend an accountant.

Hi Justine, I will send you information on an accountant by PM, but I am certain that the staff association as well as Human Resources at the UN agency where your spouse works will have all the necessary information. The reason is, as you may be aware, that it was only in recent years that the tax policy exempting UN employees and those of other international organizations from paying Swiss taxes was modified to require that their spouses, who are not tax-exempt, continue to pay taxes on their income only, but at a tax rate reflecting their combined income, not only their own, as previously. This forced UN agencies HR (payroll) and staff associations to become familiar with Swiss tax code and what items in addition to salary (insurance, benefits, allowances, etc) have to be taken in account for the figure to be tallied. In our agency, they paid the difference in increased household taxes for one year, so HR and finances/payroll made sure they got the policy right. I imagine other UN agencies did the same.

If you need additional information after talking to them, they may also be able to recommend an accountant.

JR M, Jan 10, 2019 @ 15:15
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5

@ JR M - Hi, Would you mind sharing this accountant's information with me as well please. I hope he's an English speaker... 

Thanks!

@ JR M - Hi, Would you mind sharing this accountant's information with me as well please. I hope he's an English speaker... 

Thanks!

Nidhi (Admin), Jan 15, 2019 @ 13:18
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6

Hi JR M - thanks for the insight. Would you mind PM-ing me the contact details please?

Many thanks,

David 

Hi JR M - thanks for the insight. Would you mind PM-ing me the contact details please?

Many thanks,

David 

David W, Jan 30, 2019 @ 12:59
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
6 Replies | 900 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form