Login or Sign Up

Forums in Geneva > Geneva > Advice on Apartment hunting

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Advice on Apartment hunting

Hi everyone,

I am trying to move to Geneva from central Germany and need to find a place asap since home office will likely not last much longer. I have been trying Facebook, the classifieds here, and of course the régies. I believe I have a pretty good dossier and even have a very solvable garant. Unfortunately, I just found out that even if you have a perfect dossier, if a friend of the régie wants a place, there's no chance.

Since I am looking for a good home for the next five years, I want to find something that I actually like that's not just the next available place. I am now wondering if it would be helpful to hire someone to find something for me? Does anyone have any experience with this and can tell me what kind of costs I can expect for this service? Since my move is already going to be very expensive I am trying to keep my costs at a minimum. 

I appreciate your comments!

Best,

Tinka

The text you are quoting:

Hi everyone,

I am trying to move to Geneva from central Germany and need to find a place asap since home office will likely not last much longer. I have been trying Facebook, the classifieds here, and of course the régies. I believe I have a pretty good dossier and even have a very solvable garant. Unfortunately, I just found out that even if you have a perfect dossier, if a friend of the régie wants a place, there's no chance.

Since I am looking for a good home for the next five years, I want to find something that I actually like that's not just the next available place. I am now wondering if it would be helpful to hire someone to find something for me? Does anyone have any experience with this and can tell me what kind of costs I can expect for this service? Since my move is already going to be very expensive I am trying to keep my costs at a minimum. 

Best,

Tinka

Tinka SMar 15, 2021 @ 11:27
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

12 Replies | 2052 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Advice on Apartment hunting
Post 1

Hi Tinka,

What you say is generally true, and is definately easier to find an apartment when you are already here. Recently however, there are a lot more apartments on the market than usual, and some of the regies I have been to have pages of vacancies. Many are not advertised, so it is better to go to each regie and get the list.

You can also look on anibis.ch.

If you are coming here for academic purposes, perhaps there is a notice board or other service at the University.

Good luck!

Hi Tinka,

What you say is generally true, and is definately easier to find an apartment when you are already here. Recently however, there are a lot more apartments on the market than usual, and some of the regies I have been to have pages of vacancies. Many are not advertised, so it is better to go to each regie and get the list.

You can also look on anibis.ch.

If you are coming here for academic purposes, perhaps there is a notice board or other service at the University.

Good luck!

Sean C, Mar 15, 2021 @ 12:28
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

Hi everyone,

Best,

Tinka

Mar 15, 21 11:27

If you’re going to be in Geneva for five years what’s the hurry about finding the ideal home immediately?

If you take a short-term lease of, say, three or four months you’ll have plenty of opportunity to make some new friends and contacts who know the local scene and can help you explore the city and its surroundings, so that you can  make a decision based on what will suit you and your life rather than the “advice”, however well-meaning, of a housing professional.

Even during the height of last year’s restrictions there was still plenty to do during the summer in and around Geneva and this year should be even better.

Also, September can be a good time to moe into a new home and settle in before  coping with the charms of the winter season.

All the best,

R.

If you’re going to be in Geneva for five years what’s the hurry about finding the ideal home immediately?

If you take a short-term lease of, say, three or four months you’ll have plenty of opportunity to make some new friends and contacts who know the local scene and can help you explore the city and its surroundings, so that you can  make a decision based on what will suit you and your life rather than the “advice”, however well-meaning, of a housing professional.

Even during the height of last year’s restrictions there was still plenty to do during the summer in and around Geneva and this year should be even better.

Also, September can be a good time to moe into a new home and settle in before  coping with the charms of the winter season.

All the best,

R.

Ritchie, Mar 15, 2021 @ 20:33
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

Thank you Sean! You said I could go to the régie and see what places are not advertised online? How would this work? Just ask them for the listings not posted online? 

Thank you Sean! You said I could go to the régie and see what places are not advertised online? How would this work? Just ask them for the listings not posted online? 

Tinka S, Mar 16, 2021 @ 09:33
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

Thanks Ritchie! I have been to Geneva a few times and already know what I want and in which area. I just want to keep my costs and the stress to a minimum because I have a full apartment to move and - if at all possible - I don't want to go through the trouble of storing it away and adding the extra cost of storage to my already high costs of moving. 

Thanks Ritchie! I have been to Geneva a few times and already know what I want and in which area. I just want to keep my costs and the stress to a minimum because I have a full apartment to move and - if at all possible - I don't want to go through the trouble of storing it away and adding the extra cost of storage to my already high costs of moving. 

Tinka S, Mar 16, 2021 @ 09:39
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5

Mar 16, 21 09:33

If you go into the office they have a printed list. Maybe they could email it to you if you are not in Geneva.

If you go into the office they have a printed list. Maybe they could email it to you if you are not in Geneva.

Sean C, Mar 16, 2021 @ 14:39
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6

Not wanting to scare you, but real estate market in Geneva is extremely difficult. Unfortunately, finding an apartment you actually like will probably take years.

This because of the very low rate of available apartments (0.2% to 0.5% in the last 20 years), the exorbitant price of leases (prices are inflated by 40% minimum with respect to the real market value), and the very poor quality of the housing.

It might be time for a reality check. Since you have to move a whole apartment, can you tell us how many bedrooms you need? It might be a good idea to look for something in neighboring France.

Not wanting to scare you, but real estate market in Geneva is extremely difficult. Unfortunately, finding an apartment you actually like will probably take years.

This because of the very low rate of available apartments (0.2% to 0.5% in the last 20 years), the exorbitant price of leases (prices are inflated by 40% minimum with respect to the real market value), and the very poor quality of the housing.

It might be time for a reality check. Since you have to move a whole apartment, can you tell us how many bedrooms you need? It might be a good idea to look for something in neighboring France.

TheOmegaMan, Mar 16, 2021 @ 15:29
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 7

Hi Tinka,

We are leaving our beautiful flat in the center of Champel Geneva. It's a lease takeover from the 15.april or 1st of may.

Are you interested? I can send you more infos and pictures

All the best

Hi Tinka,

We are leaving our beautiful flat in the center of Champel Geneva. It's a lease takeover from the 15.april or 1st of may.

Are you interested? I can send you more infos and pictures

All the best

Juliette Rahon, Mar 23, 2021 @ 09:38
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 8

Hallo Tinka,

just be very careful with scammers - a lot of them here.
The best in my humble opinion if to use comparis:
https://www.comparis.ch/immobilien/result/list?requestobject={%22DealType%22:10,%22LocationSearchString%22:%221203%22}

It is almost impossible to visit all flats and for this reason, I believe you can just submit the application, in case you would be contacted by the regie, you visit it as fast as possible. Important to observe that before submitting your application you would have already visited the flat, however, this can become a full-time job and after weeks of doing it, we may need to increase our chances by having multiple simultaneous applications. 

All the best!

Hallo Tinka,

just be very careful with scammers - a lot of them here.
The best in my humble opinion if to use comparis:
https://www.comparis.ch/immobilien/result/list?requestobject={%22DealType%22:10,%22LocationSearchString%22:%221203%22}

It is almost impossible to visit all flats and for this reason, I believe you can just submit the application, in case you would be contacted by the regie, you visit it as fast as possible. Important to observe that before submitting your application you would have already visited the flat, however, this can become a full-time job and after weeks of doing it, we may need to increase our chances by having multiple simultaneous applications. 

All the best!

Marcelo O, Mar 25, 2021 @ 19:57
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 9

https://www.cagi.ch/

www.homegate.ch

petit announce.ch

CERN help desk

https://www.cagi.ch/

www.homegate.ch

petit announce.ch

CERN help desk

Saju V, Mar 25, 2021 @ 21:59
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 10

I applied to around 15 apartments before being offered one I thought was decent. Most of them looked like they were about 20 years overdue for a renovation sadly. It's a grind. I almost wish I had gotten an agent and paid them standard one month's finders fee.

I applied to around 15 apartments before being offered one I thought was decent. Most of them looked like they were about 20 years overdue for a renovation sadly. It's a grind. I almost wish I had gotten an agent and paid them standard one month's finders fee.

Greg P, Mar 26, 2021 @ 07:39
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 11

Hi..

is the room still available?

Hi..

Krisna P, May 24, 2022 @ 04:41
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 12

Hi..

May 24, 22 04:41

Did you look at the date of this thread?

If you need a room your best bet is to click on the Classifieds tab where you’ll find plenty of offers and also insert an ad. of your own.

All the best, R.

Did you look at the date of this thread?

If you need a room your best bet is to click on the Classifieds tab where you’ll find plenty of offers and also insert an ad. of your own.

All the best, R.

Ritchie, May 24, 2022 @ 13:09
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
12 Replies | 2052 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form