Login or Sign Up

Forums in Geneva > Geneva > Advice on transition of 10yr old to public school

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Advice on transition of 10yr old to public school

Hi,

Grateful for any advice on moving the thé Swiss public school system for my 10yr old. He doesn't speak french - and the  school closest to us (Grottes) doesn't have a classes d'accueil. He would need to go to another school for that about 10mins walk away. Am solo parenting here and working full time and wondering how to make this all work! 

thanks

Nina

The text you are quoting:

Hi,

Grateful for any advice on moving the thé Swiss public school system for my 10yr old. He doesn't speak french - and the  school closest to us (Grottes) doesn't have a classes d'accueil. He would need to go to another school for that about 10mins walk away. Am solo parenting here and working full time and wondering how to make this all work! 

thanks

Nina

Nina GobatJun 1, 2021 @ 04:24
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

9 Replies | 1346 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Advice on transition of 10yr old to public school
Post 1

Hi Nina,

What exactly is your question?

Are you asking if anyone has experience with a specific school? Or with classes d'accueil? Or something else?

Thanks,

Oded

Hi Nina,

What exactly is your question?

Are you asking if anyone has experience with a specific school? Or with classes d'accueil? Or something else?

Thanks,

Oded

SiteAdmin Oded, Jun 1, 2021 @ 11:53
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

Hi Oded, 

Yes, would be good to better understand others' experience of the classes d'accueil. Does it matter (e.g. socially) that he will join a different school for that? He will likely attend Ecole des Grottes and go to Trembly for the classes d''accueil so any expereinces with those schools would also be helpful. 

thanks, 

Nina

Hi Oded, 

Yes, would be good to better understand others' experience of the classes d'accueil. Does it matter (e.g. socially) that he will join a different school for that? He will likely attend Ecole des Grottes and go to Trembly for the classes d''accueil so any expereinces with those schools would also be helpful. 

thanks, 

Nina

Nina Gobat, Jun 1, 2021 @ 12:24
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

Hi Nina,

As a parent of a child who had a similair transistion, the most important step will be to help him get up to speed in French. Luckily the Geneva school system is supportive of this, and he will likely spend a lot of time in a basic French class. In this class there are kids of different ages, which can be a great way to make friends outside the immediate class and age group. Achieving a good level of French is important to avoid streaming (ask the teacher about R1-R3).

There is an assocation which provides tutors at the very reasonable rate of 29/hr on all subjects. You can find a good French tutor there, and if it doesn't work out with the first one you csn request another. https://ararep.ch/

The good news is the Geneva school system is excellent, and the kids get the equivalent of a good private school in educational quality.

Good luck!

Hi Nina,

As a parent of a child who had a similair transistion, the most important step will be to help him get up to speed in French. Luckily the Geneva school system is supportive of this, and he will likely spend a lot of time in a basic French class. In this class there are kids of different ages, which can be a great way to make friends outside the immediate class and age group. Achieving a good level of French is important to avoid streaming (ask the teacher about R1-R3).

There is an assocation which provides tutors at the very reasonable rate of 29/hr on all subjects. You can find a good French tutor there, and if it doesn't work out with the first one you csn request another. https://ararep.ch/

The good news is the Geneva school system is excellent, and the kids get the equivalent of a good private school in educational quality.

Good luck!

Sean C, Jun 1, 2021 @ 13:25
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

Thank you Sean! That is helpful and reassuring too. Smile

Thank you Sean! That is helpful and reassuring too. Smile

Nina Gobat, Jun 1, 2021 @ 17:35
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5

Hi! I was wondering how the transition for your child came along? I ask because we are moving to Geneva next school year and would be in the same situation as you. I have a 7th and 6th grader by fall of 2022. thank you and apprecaie any information you could share -- like good school district, if applicable, So we could narrow our search for housing. 

Hi! I was wondering how the transition for your child came along? I ask because we are moving to Geneva next school year and would be in the same situation as you. I have a 7th and 6th grader by fall of 2022. thank you and apprecaie any information you could share -- like good school district, if applicable, So we could narrow our search for housing. 

Dana B, Sep 16, 2021 @ 05:17
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6

HI Dana, best to start investing with some french classes for your kids before coming here, as Sean mentioned the classes d'accueil will works its way with your kids. My daughter did well and made friends right away.

For the public school, your kids will normally go to a school within or close to the commune where you live in.

HI Dana, best to start investing with some french classes for your kids before coming here, as Sean mentioned the classes d'accueil will works its way with your kids. My daughter did well and made friends right away.

For the public school, your kids will normally go to a school within or close to the commune where you live in.

gerald m, Sep 20, 2021 @ 15:38
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 7

Hi Dana, 

Thanks for connecting on this .My son started this year and is settling well. He has a tutor that we found through ARA https://ararep.ch - we followed Sean's good advice on this...  and he also learned some French through the Duo Lingo app over the summer. 

I am now sorry we didn't do this sooner! 

An adavantage too (especialy at my son's age of 10yrs) is that he is now making friends in the neighbourhood. That's a big plus, especially when moving somewhere new. 

Happy to help with more info if needed. 

Nina

Hi Dana, 

Thanks for connecting on this .My son started this year and is settling well. He has a tutor that we found through ARA https://ararep.ch - we followed Sean's good advice on this...  and he also learned some French through the Duo Lingo app over the summer. 

I am now sorry we didn't do this sooner! 

An adavantage too (especialy at my son's age of 10yrs) is that he is now making friends in the neighbourhood. That's a big plus, especially when moving somewhere new. 

Happy to help with more info if needed. 

Nina

Nina Gobat, Sep 20, 2021 @ 15:58
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 8

Thank you, Gerard and Nina. Will look into those mentioned.

Should we look for housing in a particular commune so we are zoned in that school district? 

Thank you, Gerard and Nina. Will look into those mentioned.

Should we look for housing in a particular commune so we are zoned in that school district? 

Dana B, Sep 27, 2021 @ 03:14
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 9

Normally, yes. You have to be in a commune to determine which school your kids will go to.

If you are planning in advance try sending them your query: [email protected]

Normally, yes. You have to be in a commune to determine which school your kids will go to.

If you are planning in advance try sending them your query: [email protected]

gerald m, Sep 27, 2021 @ 08:07
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
9 Replies | 1346 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form