Login or Sign Up

Forums in Geneva > Geneva > Airplane Noise in Genthod, Versoix, Bellevue, and Vernier?

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Airplane Noise in Genthod, Versoix, Bellevue, and Vernier?

Dear Soon-to-be-Neigbhors--

My wife and I will soon be moving to Geneva and are in the midst of a long-distance real estate hunt.  I've heard that the neigbhorhoods of Genthod, Bellevue, Versoix and Vernier are nice, except for the aircraft noise.  I would appreciate any advice on how big a problem this really is and whether there are any parts of those neigbhorhoods (or other places) that are particularly important to avoid for that reason.

Many thanks for your input!

Greg

The text you are quoting:

Dear Soon-to-be-Neigbhors--

My wife and I will soon be moving to Geneva and are in the midst of a long-distance real estate hunt.  I've heard that the neigbhorhoods of Genthod, Bellevue, Versoix and Vernier are nice, except for the aircraft noise.  I would appreciate any advice on how big a problem this really is and whether there are any parts of those neigbhorhoods (or other places) that are particularly important to avoid for that reason.

Many thanks for your input!

Greg

Gregory WJan 12, 2011 @ 00:59
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

27 Replies | 7658 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Airplane Noise in Genthod, Versoix, Bellevue, and Vernier?
Post 1

I live in Chambésy and can pretty much see the runway... the houses here have excellent double glazing...so no noise that you wont get used to.... and at night its negligable.

Plus unlike Heathrow / JFK and other main international airports... flights stop between certain hours...

If you find a decent place... take it and get used to the noise...property here is so scare that this aircraft noise issue should be your least worry...

Good luck

I live in Chambésy and can pretty much see the runway... the houses here have excellent double glazing...so no noise that you wont get used to.... and at night its negligable.

Plus unlike Heathrow / JFK and other main international airports... flights stop between certain hours...

If you find a decent place... take it and get used to the noise...property here is so scare that this aircraft noise issue should be your least worry...

Good luck

Charlie, Jan 12, 2011 @ 08:54
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

Casuistik, Jan 12, 2011 @ 08:59
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

I lived in Versoix for a year, or so. Charlie's right. You will get used to the noise. I live in Russin now and (depending on the wind direction) am on the opposite approach/departure for the Geneva airport. It's still a bit noisy, Much less than Versoix,... but quite tolerable.

FYI - Non-commercial traffic has a strictly enforced 10:00 PM curfew. There are some regularly scheduled airline flights after that. However, not too many. There is very little activity (at all) after 11:30 PM.  

Good luck with your move.

KEN///

I lived in Versoix for a year, or so. Charlie's right. You will get used to the noise. I live in Russin now and (depending on the wind direction) am on the opposite approach/departure for the Geneva airport. It's still a bit noisy, Much less than Versoix,... but quite tolerable.

FYI - Non-commercial traffic has a strictly enforced 10:00 PM curfew. There are some regularly scheduled airline flights after that. However, not too many. There is very little activity (at all) after 11:30 PM.  

Good luck with your move.

KEN///

intlrep1, Jan 12, 2011 @ 09:12
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

I lived in Versoix.. never once noticed..

I lived in Versoix.. never once noticed..

Lexillent, Jan 12, 2011 @ 11:01
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5

Me neither, I come from an extremely quiet place in germany and moved to versoix two weeks ago. The only thing that i here are sometimes the trains passing by ones an hour, but only if i pay attention...no plane noice AT ALL...

Me neither, I come from an extremely quiet place in germany and moved to versoix two weeks ago. The only thing that i here are sometimes the trains passing by ones an hour, but only if i pay attention...no plane noice AT ALL...

Sandra Buchmann, Jan 15, 2011 @ 04:37
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6

We live in Bellevue on the lake. It makes a big difference where in relation to the flight pattern you live; where we live we hear nothing. One mile 'land inwards' (at Espace Sante for example in Bellevue) the noise outside can be enormous. I would not have expected such big differences in 'noise burden'. Maybe there is a map that shows the common flight patterns.

We live in Bellevue on the lake. It makes a big difference where in relation to the flight pattern you live; where we live we hear nothing. One mile 'land inwards' (at Espace Sante for example in Bellevue) the noise outside can be enormous. I would not have expected such big differences in 'noise burden'. Maybe there is a map that shows the common flight patterns.

Cees K, Jan 15, 2011 @ 05:21
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 7

The noise can be indeed very variable as stated above based on the runway in use. Though the runway 05 (the one implying takeoffs towards Bellevue) is less used than its opposite one, the noise can be very disturbing if you live anywhere in the axis of the runway (@ peak time takeoff very 2 mins).In other words, in Bellevue anything above le chemin de la Chênaie is to be avoided.

The noise can be indeed very variable as stated above based on the runway in use. Though the runway 05 (the one implying takeoffs towards Bellevue) is less used than its opposite one, the noise can be very disturbing if you live anywhere in the axis of the runway (@ peak time takeoff very 2 mins).In other words, in Bellevue anything above le chemin de la Chênaie is to be avoided.

Alex F, Jan 15, 2011 @ 10:29
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 8

I'm certainly more aware of the noise in the summer (in Versoix), when windows/balcony doors are open - and when it can occasionally drown out the TV - but it  isn't a big problem, and you do get used to it.

I'm certainly more aware of the noise in the summer (in Versoix), when windows/balcony doors are open - and when it can occasionally drown out the TV - but it  isn't a big problem, and you do get used to it.

vivs, Jan 15, 2011 @ 15:19
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 9

Lived in Meyrin and never noticed the sound of the planes taking off or landing, and that's even in the middle of summer with the windows open. Planes are a lot quieter than they used to be. If you're going to hear planes it's more likely to be the small private jets than the commercial ones. 

Lived in Meyrin and never noticed the sound of the planes taking off or landing, and that's even in the middle of summer with the windows open. Planes are a lot quieter than they used to be. If you're going to hear planes it's more likely to be the small private jets than the commercial ones. 

Richard A, Jan 15, 2011 @ 16:57
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 10

Lived in Grand-Saconnex (just next to the airport) and never had problem with airplane noise. But don't worry, there are no flight between midnight and 6am :)

Lived in Grand-Saconnex (just next to the airport) and never had problem with airplane noise. But don't worry, there are no flight between midnight and 6am :)

christophe j, Jan 16, 2011 @ 20:15
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 11

I live in Genthod, and the planes pass overhead. Definitely not a reason to avoid living there though, and you get used to it very quickly.  In fact the plane noise is the only thing you hear, and its completely quiet apart from that.

I live in Genthod, and the planes pass overhead. Definitely not a reason to avoid living there though, and you get used to it very quickly.  In fact the plane noise is the only thing you hear, and its completely quiet apart from that.

alexisonfire, Oct 19, 2015 @ 14:03
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 12

I remember reading this thread when I was deciding whether to move to Genthod, we did end up there and I have to say I never got used to the noise. The planes woke me up all the time and in summer with the windows open it was insanely loud, and in the backyard you had to stop conversation! Theres a huge Ethiad that comes through around 2pm each day, yikes, shook the house. Im the first to admit Im not a huge fan of noise though. Now we've moved away Im am soooo happy to be away from it :) my friend also moved away at the same time and says the same thing... so glad to be free of the noise.

I remember reading this thread when I was deciding whether to move to Genthod, we did end up there and I have to say I never got used to the noise. The planes woke me up all the time and in summer with the windows open it was insanely loud, and in the backyard you had to stop conversation! Theres a huge Ethiad that comes through around 2pm each day, yikes, shook the house. Im the first to admit Im not a huge fan of noise though. Now we've moved away Im am soooo happy to be away from it :) my friend also moved away at the same time and says the same thing... so glad to be free of the noise.

victoria, Oct 19, 2015 @ 21:52
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 13

I guess it's personal then and might have something to do with the insulation and age of the house, as all our neighbours seem to live quite peacefully up there :) We'll be staying there for a few years yet!

I guess it's personal then and might have something to do with the insulation and age of the house, as all our neighbours seem to live quite peacefully up there :) We'll be staying there for a few years yet!

alexisonfire, Oct 20, 2015 @ 11:29
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 14

Thinking of moving to Genthod and would like to reignite this topic! Is the plane noise as bad as the above seem? I've only had COVID time to judge and it wasnt bad at all but Im just wondering. 

I will be buying a property so its a long term investment that requires some wise advice please!

Thinking of moving to Genthod and would like to reignite this topic! Is the plane noise as bad as the above seem? I've only had COVID time to judge and it wasnt bad at all but Im just wondering. 

I will be buying a property so its a long term investment that requires some wise advice please!

anniee I, Jul 10, 2020 @ 16:01
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 15

I dont live on the flight path but have friends that do and forget opening windows or sitting in your garden. I would say dont invest as you will probabky regret and it will be impossibile to sell, unless off coure you are getting a very good deal and you think you can get used to it. The residents on the flight path were happy with the peace during the lock down (not happy with the virus off course) 

I dont live on the flight path but have friends that do and forget opening windows or sitting in your garden. I would say dont invest as you will probabky regret and it will be impossibile to sell, unless off coure you are getting a very good deal and you think you can get used to it. The residents on the flight path were happy with the peace during the lock down (not happy with the virus off course) 

Oonagh, Jul 10, 2020 @ 16:11
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 16

I personally wouldn't... In Versoix, Bellevue, and Ferney-Voltaire (French side), the airport is just nearby, I have seen planes 'and heard" planes just OVER my head - close range.
Seeing comments, some people live with it, some others don't. You will have to feel, see it, hear it by yourself I believe :-)

I personally wouldn't... In Versoix, Bellevue, and Ferney-Voltaire (French side), the airport is just nearby, I have seen planes 'and heard" planes just OVER my head - close range.
Seeing comments, some people live with it, some others don't. You will have to feel, see it, hear it by yourself I believe :-)

marieh, Jul 11, 2020 @ 10:25
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 17

I lived close to the airport in Vernier for 25 years and now live in Bellevue.  Both locations have aircraft noise.

Honestly, you get used to the aircraft noise very quickly.  Also Geneva airport is nowhere near as busy as other major airports and has restricted hours.  There are no flights between 11:30pm and 6am. After 8pm the number of flights is very low.  

I lived close to the airport in Vernier for 25 years and now live in Bellevue.  Both locations have aircraft noise.

Honestly, you get used to the aircraft noise very quickly.  Also Geneva airport is nowhere near as busy as other major airports and has restricted hours.  There are no flights between 11:30pm and 6am. After 8pm the number of flights is very low.  

nmcp, Jul 14, 2020 @ 17:26
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 18

We had a "votation" in order to have some kind of control (whatever it means) over the airport in November 2019 (mostly because of the noise), and it was approved by all the towns on the right side of the lake because of the nuisance. Genthod had the higest number of "yes" with 76,6%. Why ? (ask yourself).

And ask again the same question when the full trafic has returned !

We had a "votation" in order to have some kind of control (whatever it means) over the airport in November 2019 (mostly because of the noise), and it was approved by all the towns on the right side of the lake because of the nuisance. Genthod had the higest number of "yes" with 76,6%. Why ? (ask yourself).

And ask again the same question when the full trafic has returned !

Minique, Jul 15, 2020 @ 18:46
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 19

In terms of the property market and valuation, I would be skeptical of any claims that properties under the flight path will become "impossible to sell": The Genthod property market hasn't crashed over the last two decades (which is when the growth rate in number of flights really accelerated). Instead, if you check the property market data (available from your bank), you'll find that dozens of houses are bought and sold each year in Genthod, and that their prices generally follow the broader Geneva property market. Under the broader flight path zone (Vernier, Versoix, parts of Chambesy and Meyrin), you'll also find that hundreds of houses are bought and sold each year, with the trajectory of prices following the same growth rate as the broader cantonal average (which means, between c.1-3% p.a growth in house prices in Genthod over the last three years, for example - according to the latest data available from UBS, which is based on data from bureau des statistiques du canton de geneve). It's certainly not un-investable.... Best thing is to ask your bank, especially since the nature of the swiss property market means that banks here will be more cautious than elsewhere (since, as the 'real' owner of your house over the long term, they carry more risk than banks in other countries).

If you browse the Geneva on house price data (https://www.ge.ch/statistique/domaines/05/05_05/tableaux.asp) and ask to speak to the valuation teams at your bank (I had spoken to UBS and Credit Agricole Financements at the time), you'll probably find that the Genthod housing market generally moves inline with the broader cantonal market. The banks will probably tell you that house prices under the flight path are generally 10-20% cheaper than properties of equivalent size/quality in other areas, and that that is already priced into the market. The only impact that i can think of recent rule changes, are for people who own/owned very large plots of land under the flight path: because of the new zoning restrictions, some of those plots won't be able to be built on. For the rest of us, that simply means that the supply of new properties will be capped (which, if anything, is good for existing property owners).  

Personally, i'm not worried about declining house prices in Genthod, and the number of transactions with gently rising prices is certainly reassuring. Add to that the new vote capping the number of flights and the long term prospects for electric aircraft (due within a decade?), and I really wouldn't worry too much about an imminent 'crash' in house prices... the flight noise is not new! To create a crash in any asset's value, new information would need to be be digested by prospective buyers/sellers (and unless they decide to flatten Ferney to build a second runway, for example, i can't imagine what 'new' information could possibly create a crash in the local property market). 

Nonetheless, you can definitely hear the plane noise, and depending on where you live, it will be more or less bearable. If you look at the official "courbe de bruit" from the office federale de l'aviation, you'll see which streets/areas are considered "alarme": https://www.bazl.admin.ch/dam/bazl/de/dokumente/Politik/Umwelt/Laermbelastungskataster/geneve.pdf.download.pdf/geneve.pdf. Look at the number of big houses with nice big swimming pools under the flight path, and clearly, even being in some of the noisier 'courbes' doesn't seem to stop some people enjoying life here. 

The noise has to be balanced with a number of other factors, and don't forget that plenty of houses sit next to motorways or busy/polluting main roads. Genthod is next to the lake after all, next to the train line, and (ahem) close to the airport. For me personally, those things are all really handy. 

Hope that helps. I spent a lot of time researching the topic before buying about five years ago, and would be happy to share any insight or resources. 

In terms of the property market and valuation, I would be skeptical of any claims that properties under the flight path will become "impossible to sell": The Genthod property market hasn't crashed over the last two decades (which is when the growth rate in number of flights really accelerated). Instead, if you check the property market data (available from your bank), you'll find that dozens of houses are bought and sold each year in Genthod, and that their prices generally follow the broader Geneva property market. Under the broader flight path zone (Vernier, Versoix, parts of Chambesy and Meyrin), you'll also find that hundreds of houses are bought and sold each year, with the trajectory of prices following the same growth rate as the broader cantonal average (which means, between c.1-3% p.a growth in house prices in Genthod over the last three years, for example - according to the latest data available from UBS, which is based on data from bureau des statistiques du canton de geneve). It's certainly not un-investable.... Best thing is to ask your bank, especially since the nature of the swiss property market means that banks here will be more cautious than elsewhere (since, as the 'real' owner of your house over the long term, they carry more risk than banks in other countries).

If you browse the Geneva on house price data (https://www.ge.ch/statistique/domaines/05/05_05/tableaux.asp) and ask to speak to the valuation teams at your bank (I had spoken to UBS and Credit Agricole Financements at the time), you'll probably find that the Genthod housing market generally moves inline with the broader cantonal market. The banks will probably tell you that house prices under the flight path are generally 10-20% cheaper than properties of equivalent size/quality in other areas, and that that is already priced into the market. The only impact that i can think of recent rule changes, are for people who own/owned very large plots of land under the flight path: because of the new zoning restrictions, some of those plots won't be able to be built on. For the rest of us, that simply means that the supply of new properties will be capped (which, if anything, is good for existing property owners).  

Personally, i'm not worried about declining house prices in Genthod, and the number of transactions with gently rising prices is certainly reassuring. Add to that the new vote capping the number of flights and the long term prospects for electric aircraft (due within a decade?), and I really wouldn't worry too much about an imminent 'crash' in house prices... the flight noise is not new! To create a crash in any asset's value, new information would need to be be digested by prospective buyers/sellers (and unless they decide to flatten Ferney to build a second runway, for example, i can't imagine what 'new' information could possibly create a crash in the local property market). 

Nonetheless, you can definitely hear the plane noise, and depending on where you live, it will be more or less bearable. If you look at the official "courbe de bruit" from the office federale de l'aviation, you'll see which streets/areas are considered "alarme": https://www.bazl.admin.ch/dam/bazl/de/dokumente/Politik/Umwelt/Laermbelastungskataster/geneve.pdf.download.pdf/geneve.pdf. Look at the number of big houses with nice big swimming pools under the flight path, and clearly, even being in some of the noisier 'courbes' doesn't seem to stop some people enjoying life here. 

The noise has to be balanced with a number of other factors, and don't forget that plenty of houses sit next to motorways or busy/polluting main roads. Genthod is next to the lake after all, next to the train line, and (ahem) close to the airport. For me personally, those things are all really handy. 

Hope that helps. I spent a lot of time researching the topic before buying about five years ago, and would be happy to share any insight or resources. 

alexisonfire, Jul 15, 2020 @ 21:19
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 20

I believe that it shouldn't be a case, but just in case could you tell me if there is no airplane noise issue in Petit-Saconnex ?

I believe that it shouldn't be a case, but just in case could you tell me if there is no airplane noise issue in Petit-Saconnex ?

Kris R, Oct 1, 2020 @ 22:03
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 21

I think it can depend on where in Petit-Saconnex. Do you have more details about the location?

I think it can depend on where in Petit-Saconnex. Do you have more details about the location?

Martin betch, Oct 2, 2020 @ 11:40
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 22

Oct 2, 20 11:40

Around Avenue Trembley

Around Avenue Trembley

Kris R, Oct 3, 2020 @ 14:25
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 23

Cool

Dont think there will be any noise near Trembley.

Cool

Dont think there will be any noise near Trembley.

Tunga N, Oct 4, 2020 @ 17:59
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 24

Does anyone know what is plane noise like in Pregny Chambesy, more specifically Ave Foretaille close to the city side not airport? 

Does anyone know what is plane noise like in Pregny Chambesy, more specifically Ave Foretaille close to the city side not airport? 

Tunga N, Oct 4, 2020 @ 18:01
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 25

You should be fine then.

You should be fine then.

Martin betch, Oct 5, 2020 @ 12:17
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 26

You should be fine then.

Oct 5, 20 12:17

I wanted to quote you "Around Avenue Trembley - Kris R"

I wanted to quote you "Around Avenue Trembley - Kris R"

Martin betch, Oct 5, 2020 @ 12:18
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 27

Oct 4, 20 18:01

Since you are a short distance from the airport, I think you could still hear some noise from the airport, but not much since airplanes would be on the ground mainly.

The worst locations are before and after the airport lines, where the airplanes are flying at low altitude.

For example, this location would be terrible: https://goo.gl/maps/YFyx7AWxrFqbvAts5

Since you are a short distance from the airport, I think you could still hear some noise from the airport, but not much since airplanes would be on the ground mainly.

The worst locations are before and after the airport lines, where the airplanes are flying at low altitude.

For example, this location would be terrible: https://goo.gl/maps/YFyx7AWxrFqbvAts5

Martin betch, Oct 5, 2020 @ 12:22
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
27 Replies | 7658 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form