Login or Sign Up

Forums in Geneva > Geneva > American in Geneva, C-Permit Question

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
American in Geneva, C-Permit Question

Hello, I hope this is in the right place.

So, I came to Geneva last year for an MBA. I am now transitioning (if all continues smoothly) from an internship to a full-time role at the end of January. 

I understand Americans and Canadians enjoy the freedom of automatically receiving the C-permit after five consecutive years of residence. No application is necessary, it's automatically processed and sent to you. HOWEVER I have been reading a lot about the new language requirements and regulation changes. Does anyone know if this applies to Americans and Canadians as well? Do I have to prove my language proficiency in French to be granted the C-permit now?  While I'm thinking WAY ahead, I just wanted to understand all this a little better. 

Thanks for your time. 

The text you are quoting:

Hello, I hope this is in the right place.

So, I came to Geneva last year for an MBA. I am now transitioning (if all continues smoothly) from an internship to a full-time role at the end of January. 

I understand Americans and Canadians enjoy the freedom of automatically receiving the C-permit after five consecutive years of residence. No application is necessary, it's automatically processed and sent to you. HOWEVER I have been reading a lot about the new language requirements and regulation changes. Does anyone know if this applies to Americans and Canadians as well? Do I have to prove my language proficiency in French to be granted the C-permit now?  While I'm thinking WAY ahead, I just wanted to understand all this a little better. 

Thanks for your time. 

Timothy SSep 9, 2020 @ 16:18
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

2 Replies | 613 Views      |  Send to friend

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Re: American in Geneva, C-Permit Question
Post 1

Hi Timothy, 

In answer to your questions;

a) Yes you need to prove language proficiency as of Jan 2020 to renew your permit, a google search will bring up more details on how to do this. It's relevant to the language spoken in the Canton you reside.

b) When you renew your permit after 5 yrs youll be sent the new one... I undertsand that a C permit is no longer automatic, but with a good job, no debt or criminal records and no burden on the local economy, ie dependant on the state unemployment, and with language skills you should be fine. (as long as the rules dont change again).

The text you are quoting:

Hi Timothy, 

In answer to your questions;

a) Yes you need to prove language proficiency as of Jan 2020 to renew your permit, a google search will bring up more details on how to do this. It's relevant to the language spoken in the Canton you reside.

b) When you renew your permit after 5 yrs youll be sent the new one... I undertsand that a C permit is no longer automatic, but with a good job, no debt or criminal records and no burden on the local economy, ie dependant on the state unemployment, and with language skills you should be fine. (as long as the rules dont change again).

Charlie, Sep 10, 2020 @ 12:10
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin
2 Replies | 613 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form