Login or Sign Up

Forums in Geneva > Geneva > Another housing web scam

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Another housing web scam

Hi All,

a new version of the usual scam when they request an anticipate deposit to see a flat is on the loose in Geneva. 

This time the scam involve the use of Wimdu residential services (http://wimdu.co.uk). Wimdu is a service similar to AirBnB with a horrendous reputation on the web. They have a quite sleek web page, that seems like belonging to a reliable services. Unfortunately there are lots of horror stories related to this service. Avoid it at all costs also for AirBnB type of short-time rental.

The scam start with the usual flat rented at a convenient price, but not too low to look suspicious. This time the flat they let is in Avenue de Champel nr.63.

There is no reference to a regie in the vacancy, only a email address in Germany. You send a request to see the flat then a chain of email starts: you receive an email from a woman called Carmen that explains that she bought the flat but now lives in London and she wants to let it, bla bla bla.

It is well written and might sound convincing, but as soon as you read it let it go. It's a scam.

The text you are quoting:

Hi All,

a new version of the usual scam when they request an anticipate deposit to see a flat is on the loose in Geneva. 

This time the scam involve the use of Wimdu residential services (http://wimdu.co.uk). Wimdu is a service similar to AirBnB with a horrendous reputation on the web. They have a quite sleek web page, that seems like belonging to a reliable services. Unfortunately there are lots of horror stories related to this service. Avoid it at all costs also for AirBnB type of short-time rental.

The scam start with the usual flat rented at a convenient price, but not too low to look suspicious. This time the flat they let is in Avenue de Champel nr.63.

There is no reference to a regie in the vacancy, only a email address in Germany. You send a request to see the flat then a chain of email starts: you receive an email from a woman called Carmen that explains that she bought the flat but now lives in London and she wants to let it, bla bla bla.

It is well written and might sound convincing, but as soon as you read it let it go. It's a scam.

Andrea PiergentiliDec 2, 2015 @ 16:50
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

5 Replies | 1894 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Another housing web scam
Post 1

Here a detailed example of it works: the service they use is trough an escrow account, but the text of the email is identical:

https://www.scamwarners.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=93136

Here a detailed example of it works: the service they use is trough an escrow account, but the text of the email is identical:

https://www.scamwarners.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=93136

Andrea Piergentili, Dec 2, 2015 @ 16:56
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

Today I ran into the same type of scam.

Today I ran into the same type of scam.

Monique Anunciacao, May 26, 2019 @ 07:04
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

Thanks for posting. I received the same type of message from him and had the thought that this was either the best housing deal I had ever received or was too good to be true.

By the way, if anyone knows of a sublet for about 6 months in Paquis starting mid June at reasonable price, do send me a note.

Barbara

Thanks for posting. I received the same type of message from him and had the thought that this was either the best housing deal I had ever received or was too good to be true.

By the way, if anyone knows of a sublet for about 6 months in Paquis starting mid June at reasonable price, do send me a note.

Barbara

barbaraz, May 26, 2019 @ 08:44
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

for a student in journalism her english sucks bigly

when scammers learn to write and speak proper english I will consider their offers

there are some YT TED presentations explaining who scammers are and how they go about their "business"

Google

for a student in journalism her english sucks bigly

when scammers learn to write and speak proper english I will consider their offers

there are some YT TED presentations explaining who scammers are and how they go about their "business"

Google

Lazz, May 26, 2019 @ 09:10
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5

Barbara

May 26, 19 08:44

If you are looking for accommodation on glocals, check the offers in the “Classifieds” and/or place an ad. of your own.  For the best results, I suggest that you say where you are working/studying in Geneva, how long you expect to stay, and your budget for rent.

This will save a lot of time for all concerned.

Good luck!

R.

If you are looking for accommodation on glocals, check the offers in the “Classifieds” and/or place an ad. of your own.  For the best results, I suggest that you say where you are working/studying in Geneva, how long you expect to stay, and your budget for rent.

This will save a lot of time for all concerned.

Good luck!

R.

Ritchie, May 26, 2019 @ 19:00
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
5 Replies | 1894 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form