Login or Sign Up

Forums in Geneva > Geneva > Any British people miss, British food?

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Any British people miss, British food?
Just for your info. There is a British Supermarket selling British foodstuffs. Want to know more, let me know?

Oh by the way they also sell the good ol'fish & chips, on take away.

Nic
The text you are quoting:
Just for your info. There is a British Supermarket selling British foodstuffs. Want to know more, let me know?

Oh by the way they also sell the good ol'fish & chips, on take away.

Nic
ecc801sOct 6, 2005 @ 15:21
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

63 Replies | 5626 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Any British people miss, British food?
Post 1
I recon few people do! lol

Probably thinking of Jim's, good location to get the good British beers, and the ingrediants for a good fry-up. If you studied in the UK for uni iam sure you ll have loads of fond memories walking down the aisles looking at british style loafs of bread and beans rememebering times when beans on toast was about the only thing you could afford without denting your going out and partying budget!

Top store though

Probably thinking of Jim's, good location to get the good British beers, and the ingrediants for a good fry-up. If you studied in the UK for uni iam sure you ll have loads of fond memories walking down the aisles looking at british style loafs of bread and beans rememebering times when beans on toast was about the only thing you could afford without denting your going out and partying budget!

Top store though
munkypint, Oct 6, 2005 @ 18:35
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2
British food: if it's cold, it's soup....if it's hot, it's beer !!! ;)
British food: if it's cold, it's soup....if it's hot, it's beer !!! ;)
AndReal, Oct 6, 2005 @ 18:46
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3
Just for a trip down memory lane could you post where this "jim's" supermarket is Monkey or ECC?

thanks...

looking forward to meeting both of you at Bclub
Just for a trip down memory lane could you post where this "jim's" supermarket is Monkey or ECC?

thanks...

looking forward to meeting both of you at Bclub
Luca, Oct 6, 2005 @ 20:51
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4
Thats the point I know how to get there, but not the address.

Nic
Thats the point I know how to get there, but not the address.

Nic
ecc801s, Oct 7, 2005 @ 05:42
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5
You talking about school food? nt
You talking about school food? nt
ecc801s, Oct 7, 2005 @ 05:44
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6
St Genis Pouilly

in the industrial zone Z.A. de l'Allondon

Its on Rue du Mond Rond behind the shop called Halle au Chaussures

Go as if you are going to the Chene club (which i might add has to be avoided at all costs for nights out, makes shakers look spot on!) and contyinue down the round at the back.

Or best just check on mappy.fr for Rue du Mond Ronde at St Genis Pouilly for a map.
St Genis Pouilly

in the industrial zone Z.A. de l'Allondon

Its on Rue du Mond Rond behind the shop called Halle au Chaussures

Go as if you are going to the Chene club (which i might add has to be avoided at all costs for nights out, makes shakers look spot on!) and contyinue down the round at the back.

Or best just check on mappy.fr for Rue du Mond Ronde at St Genis Pouilly for a map.
munkypint, Oct 7, 2005 @ 14:37
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 7
perfect,

Thanks Monkeypint..will see if i can find it this weekend, in between banana flashmob and salsa class.
perfect,

Thanks Monkeypint..will see if i can find it this weekend, in between banana flashmob and salsa class.
Luca, Oct 7, 2005 @ 18:17
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 8

Check out www.myexpatshop.com - we are local to Geneva and will deliver.

Kristina H, Jun 25, 2010 @ 11:29
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 9

not British but studied in England. And boy oh boy do I miss those cumberland sausages. Anyone know if I can get them here somewhere? Do Jim's have them?

not British but studied in England. And boy oh boy do I miss those cumberland sausages. Anyone know if I can get them here somewhere? Do Jim's have them?

FRANNiE019, Jun 25, 2010 @ 15:00
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 10

The worst thing here is the lack of decent cheese.... The swiss make about 5 cheeses which all need to be melted before eating. The UK on the other hand makes over 600 different cheeses... more than any other country in the world.

I always bring back some proper cheese...so if you have any orders please let me know as I go back and forward a lot. Obviouslty due to Swiss customs I NEVER bring back any proper bacon or sausages....

The worst thing here is the lack of decent cheese.... The swiss make about 5 cheeses which all need to be melted before eating. The UK on the other hand makes over 600 different cheeses... more than any other country in the world.

I always bring back some proper cheese...so if you have any orders please let me know as I go back and forward a lot. Obviouslty due to Swiss customs I NEVER bring back any proper bacon or sausages....

brucelawson, Jun 25, 2010 @ 16:08
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 11

We have some great cheeses - including Vintage Cheddar, Red Leicester, Wensleydale etc. as well as real English bacon.  We're working on the sausages.

We have some great cheeses - including Vintage Cheddar, Red Leicester, Wensleydale etc. as well as real English bacon.  We're working on the sausages.

Kristina H, Jun 25, 2010 @ 17:01
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 12

We're working on bringing English sausages into Switzerland so keep an eye on the siteCool

We're working on bringing English sausages into Switzerland so keep an eye on the siteCool

Kristina H, Jun 25, 2010 @ 17:02
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 13

about the Cheese, you've got Michael the Cheese Man in Zurich, with his British cheese center.

(Yeah, I'm Swiss and I love British Cheese....)

about the Cheese, you've got Michael the Cheese Man in Zurich, with his British cheese center.

(Yeah, I'm Swiss and I love British Cheese....)

bertrand hubert r, Jun 15, 2012 @ 11:10
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 14

Jun 25, 10 11:29

you've got a shop or it's just online ?

bertrand hubert r, Jun 15, 2012 @ 11:13
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 15

Top store though
Oct 6, 05 18:35

You could afford beans!!! In the early sixties the motorways started to open in UK and this coincided with my first attempts at hitch hiking.  You could buy a slice of bread for an old penny (1d) and sugar and tomato ketchup, as much as you wanted, was free and a cheap sandwich was created.

I survived although even today I am not a fan of tomato ketchup 

You could afford beans!!! In the early sixties the motorways started to open in UK and this coincided with my first attempts at hitch hiking.  You could buy a slice of bread for an old penny (1d) and sugar and tomato ketchup, as much as you wanted, was free and a cheap sandwich was created.

I survived although even today I am not a fan of tomato ketchup 

Paul E, Jun 15, 2012 @ 11:26
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 16

Jim's is expensive. I have heard that a supermarket in Morzine sells sausages but might only be in the winter season and some SuperU stores have a British counter but have not checked this out. 

Maybe somebody can elucidate.

But what is on offer here is usually the blandest of English fare - yes there are less bland English foods.  I miss proper sausages, interesting cheeses (and I bet Zurich does not stock a cheese called 'flippin eck') and the range of bottled beers in the supermarkets.  And of course the pub atmosphere which cannot be recreated with half litre tankards. 

Jim's is expensive. I have heard that a supermarket in Morzine sells sausages but might only be in the winter season and some SuperU stores have a British counter but have not checked this out. 

But what is on offer here is usually the blandest of English fare - yes there are less bland English foods.  I miss proper sausages, interesting cheeses (and I bet Zurich does not stock a cheese called 'flippin eck') and the range of bottled beers in the supermarkets.  And of course the pub atmosphere which cannot be recreated with half litre tankards. 

Paul E, Jun 15, 2012 @ 11:31
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 17

I meant to say British, not english

I meant to say British, not english

Paul E, Jun 15, 2012 @ 11:37
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 18

Jun 25, 10 16:08

Bruce - you need to check with customs but my understanding is that because the sawdust content of sausages is higher than the meat content, Swiss customs regard sausages as offal which no self respecting human being would dream of consuming and there is no duty, even though I would be happy to pay if necessary.  also it does not count in 500 gram meat limit

I have assumed this applied to bacon also as it is usually smoked.

I forgot to mention kippers in my previous thread

Bruce - you need to check with customs but my understanding is that because the sawdust content of sausages is higher than the meat content, Swiss customs regard sausages as offal which no self respecting human being would dream of consuming and there is no duty, even though I would be happy to pay if necessary.  also it does not count in 500 gram meat limit

I have assumed this applied to bacon also as it is usually smoked.

I forgot to mention kippers in my previous thread

Paul E, Jun 15, 2012 @ 11:37
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 19

Jun 15, 12 11:31

try Paddies pub in Ferney by Carrefour.

Its a pub atmosphere, they do great fish and chips and serve beer in proper pints with some properly unknown Irish Whiskeys on offer.

try Paddies pub in Ferney by Carrefour.

Its a pub atmosphere, they do great fish and chips and serve beer in proper pints with some properly unknown Irish Whiskeys on offer.

Charlie, Jun 15, 2012 @ 12:58
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 20

Years since I've been there will bear in mind

Years since I've been there will bear in mind

Paul E, Jun 15, 2012 @ 13:05
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 21

Intermarche St Genis ,(next to Gex roundabout) has an entire aisle of Brit food, I get my Birds custard, brown sauce, cheese, frozen sausages and the odd puka pie there. Smaller selection in the intermarche in Peron but handy for the Sunday morning dash for the sausages!

Intermarche St Genis ,(next to Gex roundabout) has an entire aisle of Brit food, I get my Birds custard, brown sauce, cheese, frozen sausages and the odd puka pie there. Smaller selection in the intermarche in Peron but handy for the Sunday morning dash for the sausages!

Kevin M, Jun 15, 2012 @ 19:44
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 22

Have you tried MyExpatShop.com?

It is my online shop based in Cologny, Geneva and we welcome visitors to our Cash and Carry.   We carry fresh and frozen bacon (imported from the UK), British cheeses, pies, pasties and a selection of approximately 800 British food items.   Premium British sausages will be available as of end July.   

Have you tried MyExpatShop.com?

It is my online shop based in Cologny, Geneva and we welcome visitors to our Cash and Carry.   We carry fresh and frozen bacon (imported from the UK), British cheeses, pies, pasties and a selection of approximately 800 British food items.   Premium British sausages will be available as of end July.   

Kristina H, Jun 15, 2012 @ 20:59
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 23

Jim's is also now in Gland. Just google it for the address. May be expensive but good for baking needs etc.

Jim's is also now in Gland. Just google it for the address. May be expensive but good for baking needs etc.

Jeffery S, Jun 15, 2012 @ 21:50
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 24

Why would you miss British food? The British had to go around colonizing the rest of the world just so they could get some spices.

Why would you miss British food? The British had to go around colonizing the rest of the world just so they could get some spices.

Dane R, Jun 15, 2012 @ 22:35
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 25

Jun 15, 12 22:35

You seem to forget that the British are very far sighted. We only colonised these places so that we could use the spices to make bi^g macs edible. Had you allowed us to colonise the US, we would have never invented big macs and the whole colonial system would simply have ground to a halt. How lucky we aren't  

You seem to forget that the British are very far sighted. We only colonised these places so that we could use the spices to make bi^g macs edible. Had you allowed us to colonise the US, we would have never invented big macs and the whole colonial system would simply have ground to a halt. How lucky we aren't  

Paul E, Jun 15, 2012 @ 23:35
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 26

you mean "curry" the national dish of britain.. that british food? I am sure they sell it at some Indian shop/restaurant nearby.. :-)

you mean "curry" the national dish of britain.. that british food? I am sure they sell it at some Indian shop/restaurant nearby.. :-)

Ricky Peters, Jun 16, 2012 @ 11:35
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 27

You can also check out www.foodbritanniashop.com They have a good selection of British food and British sausages from an award winning butcher.

You can also check out www.foodbritanniashop.com They have a good selection of British food and British sausages from an award winning butcher.

Anya P, Jun 16, 2012 @ 21:24
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 28

If you like a spicy curry and tell them in the restaurant , they will make you a hot  one  , the french / swiss dont like it spicy 

If you like a spicy curry and tell them in the restaurant , they will make you a hot  one  , the french / swiss dont like it spicy 

Helen E, Jun 21, 2012 @ 00:23
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 29

Casino in Divonne have a lot of british products - like real suasages and pasties in the freezer  - oh and it is open on a Sunday 

Casino in Divonne have a lot of british products - like real suasages and pasties in the freezer  - oh and it is open on a Sunday 

Helen E, Jun 21, 2012 @ 00:25
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 30

PS - if you do go to Casino dont buy ALL the sausages !!  ;) 

PS - if you do go to Casino dont buy ALL the sausages !!  ;) 

Helen E, Jun 21, 2012 @ 00:28
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 31

Ashanti Trading on rue Monchoisy, has a huge selection of UK products, they also stock Indian,Brazilian and Balkan specialities, I went because I make a lot of Thai and Sri Lankan dishes and they have excellent spices, tamarind paste etc and the cheapest coconut milk and oil.So I was astonished at all the other stuff!

It's open on Sundays and holidays until 20:00 and Arun and his wife are extremely helpful and friendly.

Ashanti Trading on rue Monchoisy, has a huge selection of UK products, they also stock Indian,Brazilian and Balkan specialities, I went because I make a lot of Thai and Sri Lankan dishes and they have excellent spices, tamarind paste etc and the cheapest coconut milk and oil.So I was astonished at all the other stuff!

It's open on Sundays and holidays until 20:00 and Arun and his wife are extremely helpful and friendly.

hitchcockblo, Jul 5, 2012 @ 09:31
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 32

Jan 1, 70 01:00

Sausages are here now.  English breakfast as well as Cumberland.  They will be on the website in the next couple of days.

Sausages are here now.  English breakfast as well as Cumberland.  They will be on the website in the next couple of days.

Kristina H, Oct 25, 2012 @ 08:47
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 33

Jun 15, 12 11:13

We have a depot/shop you can come to.  Address is 66 Chemin Frank Thomas, Cologny.  

We have a depot/shop you can come to.  Address is 66 Chemin Frank Thomas, Cologny.  

Kristina H, Oct 25, 2012 @ 08:55
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 34

Turkey is widely sold in Carrefour etc

Hams would be good though...

Turkey is widely sold in Carrefour etc

Hams would be good though...

Charlie, Oct 25, 2012 @ 14:09
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 35

By the way, a few years ago I made a massive boo boo and forgot to get the Turkey in time... so on the way up to the mountains I stopped in Aligro and bought (panic buy) a huge Turkey from Bourg en Bresse....

Since Ive done a cooking course or two I do know how to cook... and am usually the one who cooks the Xmas day stuff... (actually the only one these days but back then as well) ...

If no one has ever tried a B en B Turkey that is slow roasted in a wood fired oven..... It was without a doubt the BEST I have ever tasted...

(its was also the most expensive by a factor of 4 that I have ever bought)

But if anyone wants to blow their xmas bonus... this is defo one great suggestion...

By the way, a few years ago I made a massive boo boo and forgot to get the Turkey in time... so on the way up to the mountains I stopped in Aligro and bought (panic buy) a huge Turkey from Bourg en Bresse....

Since Ive done a cooking course or two I do know how to cook... and am usually the one who cooks the Xmas day stuff... (actually the only one these days but back then as well) ...

If no one has ever tried a B en B Turkey that is slow roasted in a wood fired oven..... It was without a doubt the BEST I have ever tasted...

(its was also the most expensive by a factor of 4 that I have ever bought)

But if anyone wants to blow their xmas bonus... this is defo one great suggestion...

Charlie, Oct 25, 2012 @ 15:25
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 36

Jan 1, 70 01:00

remember the 6 P's  :::::: Proper Preparation Prevents Piss Poor Perfromance

:-) 

remember the 6 P's  :::::: Proper Preparation Prevents Piss Poor Perfromance

:-) 

Charlie, Oct 25, 2012 @ 16:55
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 37

British Food Shop, Lausanne area

If you are looking for British food in the Lausanne area, you might like to try Kandy's Expat Mini-Market which has a slection of British food:

Av. de Lavaux 65
1009 Pully

** At the same location as "VIDEO FOLIES PULLY"

Kandy is a much loved Glocals member - you can always drop her a line if you are looking for a specific item of British food. 

British Food Shop, Lausanne area

If you are looking for British food in the Lausanne area, you might like to try Kandy's Expat Mini-Market which has a slection of British food:

Av. de Lavaux 65
1009 Pully

** At the same location as "VIDEO FOLIES PULLY"

Kandy is a much loved Glocals member - you can always drop her a line if you are looking for a specific item of British food. 

shakespeare, Oct 25, 2012 @ 18:36
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 38

Jun 25, 10 15:00

Jim used to have them, but I haven’t been able to get out to his place for a while.  Why not phone to inquire?

‘Casino’ in Divonne has a choice of UK sausages but am not sure about the Cumberland variety though.

All the best, Ritchie

Jim used to have them, but I haven’t been able to get out to his place for a while.  Why not phone to inquire?

‘Casino’ in Divonne has a choice of UK sausages but am not sure about the Cumberland variety though.

All the best, Ritchie

Ritchie, Oct 25, 2012 @ 20:20
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 39

with red onion gravy

Tongue out

with red onion gravy

Tongue out

Charlie, Oct 25, 2012 @ 21:17
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 40

All the best, Ritchie

Oct 25, 12 20:20

You can get Cumberland sausages from MyExpatShop in Cologny as well as Red onion marmalade to put in the delicious gravy.  Fresh sausages available next week.

You can get Cumberland sausages from MyExpatShop in Cologny as well as Red onion marmalade to put in the delicious gravy.  Fresh sausages available next week.

Kristina H, Oct 26, 2012 @ 09:25
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 41

You seriously got to be kidding me right? Switzerland is also home to about 450 different kinds of cheese, which are, at least as good if not, better than UK cheeses (which I also do appreciate). And with France on our doorstep one cannot seriously say there are no proper alternatives? Come on! ;-)

You seriously got to be kidding me right? Switzerland is also home to about 450 different kinds of cheese, which are, at least as good if not, better than UK cheeses (which I also do appreciate). And with France on our doorstep one cannot seriously say there are no proper alternatives? Come on! ;-)

martin, Oct 26, 2012 @ 11:47
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 42

I don't really miss much from home but being Scottish I do every now and again have a notion for a roll and square sausage! 

I don't really miss much from home but being Scottish I do every now and again have a notion for a roll and square sausage! 

Susan I, Oct 26, 2012 @ 13:12
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 43

Oct 26, 12 11:47

Martin, you sound a bit cheesed off! Laughing

Rich, Oct 26, 2012 @ 13:27
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 44

Oct 26, 12 13:27

Actually - I feel a bit "cheesy" after the fondue I had yesterday

Actually - I feel a bit "cheesy" after the fondue I had yesterday

martin, Oct 26, 2012 @ 13:30
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 45

For those curry ingredient shoppers:- I do my grocery at the NAMASTE cash & curry at Rue de Fribourg 10 near the Cornavin station. They are mainly friendly, much less expensive with varieties of products. Most of the Indian Resto chefs around come to do their shopping as well.

Mention Kabir from Glocals & may have an extra discount...Laughing

For those curry ingredient shoppers:- I do my grocery at the NAMASTE cash & curry at Rue de Fribourg 10 near the Cornavin station. They are mainly friendly, much less expensive with varieties of products. Most of the Indian Resto chefs around come to do their shopping as well.

Mention Kabir from Glocals & may have an extra discount...Laughing

Kabir M, Oct 26, 2012 @ 17:24
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 46

You can find a few British foods also at the Carrefour of St Genis Pouilly (near the CERN).  I think most of the supermarkets around have them.

You can find a few British foods also at the Carrefour of St Genis Pouilly (near the CERN).  I think most of the supermarkets around have them.

TheOmegaMan, Nov 9, 2012 @ 22:26
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 47

MyExpatShop will be getting fresh haggis and English sausages this week.

MyExpatShop will be getting fresh haggis and English sausages this week.

Kristina H, Nov 10, 2012 @ 11:39
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 48

Also noticed that the coop city close to mollard stocks up quite some British and other "foreign" stuff ;-)

Also noticed that the coop city close to mollard stocks up quite some British and other "foreign" stuff ;-)

martin, Nov 10, 2012 @ 12:08
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 49

I notice this thread is quite old but I just wanted to point out we now have online shopping abvailable at Jim's Switzerland. the address is jims.ch

Apart from that you can visit us in Gland 7 days a week and we have some interesting new fresh local products.

Including, Cracking Pork for roasting, English suasages including Cumberland, Lincolnshire and many other flavours. Also for our south african customers we have locally made Boerewors, Chilli Bites and Biltong. Plus from Le Pie we have a new rrange of fresh Pies which are proving very popular, in fact I will be having a game pie tonight for my dinner. 

This weekend we are having a tasting on Saturday of "Le Pie* at Jims Gland. And on the 2nd of November we will be introducing and tasting British Chocolatier Marie Louise's range of fabulous chocolates - once again at Jim's Gland.

I notice this thread is quite old but I just wanted to point out we now have online shopping abvailable at Jim's Switzerland. the address is jims.ch

Apart from that you can visit us in Gland 7 days a week and we have some interesting new fresh local products.

Including, Cracking Pork for roasting, English suasages including Cumberland, Lincolnshire and many other flavours. Also for our south african customers we have locally made Boerewors, Chilli Bites and Biltong. Plus from Le Pie we have a new rrange of fresh Pies which are proving very popular, in fact I will be having a game pie tonight for my dinner. 

This weekend we are having a tasting on Saturday of "Le Pie* at Jims Gland. And on the 2nd of November we will be introducing and tasting British Chocolatier Marie Louise's range of fabulous chocolates - once again at Jim's Gland.

Chris Pettipiere, Oct 16, 2013 @ 15:54
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 50

Jun 25, 10 15:00

Yes he does, but they are commercial cumberlands by Walls or whatever.....i'm convinced that's what drove me to drink.

Yes he does, but they are commercial cumberlands by Walls or whatever.....i'm convinced that's what drove me to drink.

Shirley T, Oct 16, 2013 @ 20:26
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 51

I think you're badly informed on Swiss cheese. We produce over 450 different types of cheese and are considered among the top 5 cheese producers - gastronomy speaking - after France, Italy, Spain and Netherlands. Besides, most of our cheese doesn't need to be melted to be appreciated.

However I must say I like some british types of cheese like Leicester but I wouldn't compare UK to France where the choice is nothing to be compared with what you find in any British supermarket.

I think you're badly informed on Swiss cheese. We produce over 450 different types of cheese and are considered among the top 5 cheese producers - gastronomy speaking - after France, Italy, Spain and Netherlands. Besides, most of our cheese doesn't need to be melted to be appreciated.

However I must say I like some british types of cheese like Leicester but I wouldn't compare UK to France where the choice is nothing to be compared with what you find in any British supermarket.

Richard B, Oct 16, 2013 @ 22:53
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 52

Nov 10, 12 12:08

Sucked that when COOP announced they would carry British Stilton, I checked Blandonnet twice and still a month later they still dont carry it, just Cathederal Chedder or a Swiss Cheeder. At least the Swiss cheeder didnt taste like rubber Cathederal. I just dont want to pay CHF 60- per kilo when you find Most cheese in the Deli section of Coop or Manor or Globus at about CHF 30- . but seems Genevas Brits are really undervalued? Stupid COOP, Manor, Globus, or maybe Generic Migros also?

Sucked that when COOP announced they would carry British Stilton, I checked Blandonnet twice and still a month later they still dont carry it, just Cathederal Chedder or a Swiss Cheeder. At least the Swiss cheeder didnt taste like rubber Cathederal. I just dont want to pay CHF 60- per kilo when you find Most cheese in the Deli section of Coop or Manor or Globus at about CHF 30- . but seems Genevas Brits are really undervalued? Stupid COOP, Manor, Globus, or maybe Generic Migros also?

Dave G, Oct 16, 2013 @ 23:07
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 53

I am a sucker for Branston pickle but resent having to pay CHF 6.50 for a jar at Coop. Anyone know where I can get it for a cheaper price?

I am a sucker for Branston pickle but resent having to pay CHF 6.50 for a jar at Coop. Anyone know where I can get it for a cheaper price?

delseta9_, Oct 17, 2013 @ 01:23
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 54

In Carrefour, Annemasse, they have an 'Angleterre' shelf in the world foods aisle. Full of exotic delights. I stocked up on Nairn's Oatcakes, there doesn't seem to be a local equivalent.

In Carrefour, Annemasse, they have an 'Angleterre' shelf in the world foods aisle. Full of exotic delights. I stocked up on Nairn's Oatcakes, there doesn't seem to be a local equivalent.

Amy Soska, Oct 17, 2013 @ 08:50
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 55

Oct 17, 13 01:23

Hello - you are right to resent  paying over the odds prices.  Check out www.mexpatshop.com - Branston Pickle is Chf 5.50 there.

Hello - you are right to resent  paying over the odds prices.  Check out www.mexpatshop.com - Branston Pickle is Chf 5.50 there.

Kristina H, Oct 17, 2013 @ 09:42
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 56

Oct 16, 13 23:07

MyExpatShop.com has Vintage Cheddar in stock that tastes like proper cheese should.  Stilton will be in stock for Christmas.

MyExpatShop.com has Vintage Cheddar in stock that tastes like proper cheese should.  Stilton will be in stock for Christmas.

Kristina H, Oct 17, 2013 @ 09:44
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 57

Yes! Gosh, I miss so many things that i either cant get or i refuse to pay through the nose for! I fly back to the UK every few months so tend to go back with an empty suitcase, and i bring back sausages, bacon, biscuits, teabags, pork and pickle pies (mmm), crumpets, sauces, cheese... as to customs i thought i would be stopped for bringing the sausages and bacon back, but even when i got stopped and my bags were checked, i've never had any problems and no one has ever said anything... :)

Yes! Gosh, I miss so many things that i either cant get or i refuse to pay through the nose for! I fly back to the UK every few months so tend to go back with an empty suitcase, and i bring back sausages, bacon, biscuits, teabags, pork and pickle pies (mmm), crumpets, sauces, cheese... as to customs i thought i would be stopped for bringing the sausages and bacon back, but even when i got stopped and my bags were checked, i've never had any problems and no one has ever said anything... :)

Cindy L, Oct 17, 2013 @ 10:12
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 58

Irrespective of your nationality and wherever you might be living as an expat, you’re very likely to be homesick for the foods of your childhood from time to time.

If you’re lucky, you may be able to import goods, otherwise you’ll need time and money to go get them elsewhere, which isn’t always practical, work and domestic  commitments being the way they are.

However, here in the Geneva area many of us can afford a hop on easyJet for a quick shop to top up  supplies, as well as popping over to France now and then.

So let’s be grateful for the facilities on our door step but wouldn’t enjoy were we to be in many other parts of the world.  What’s more, if you stay around these parts long enough, you might even get a taste for gruyère cheese and Cenovis, two items the Swiss miss very much when they’re away from CH.

Ritchie

Irrespective of your nationality and wherever you might be living as an expat, you’re very likely to be homesick for the foods of your childhood from time to time.

If you’re lucky, you may be able to import goods, otherwise you’ll need time and money to go get them elsewhere, which isn’t always practical, work and domestic  commitments being the way they are.

However, here in the Geneva area many of us can afford a hop on easyJet for a quick shop to top up  supplies, as well as popping over to France now and then.

So let’s be grateful for the facilities on our door step but wouldn’t enjoy were we to be in many other parts of the world.  What’s more, if you stay around these parts long enough, you might even get a taste for gruyère cheese and Cenovis, two items the Swiss miss very much when they’re away from CH.

Ritchie

Ritchie, Oct 17, 2013 @ 11:44
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 59

Hi All,

Jims Gland has both Stilton and Branston.

Any time you want to check out prices take a look online at jims.ch or come visit us in Gland we are open 7 days a week.

You won't see any fresh or frozen goods on site yet but we are working on it. But we do have a good range of cheeses here and plenty of other fresh and frozen goodies in the shop. 

We have just cut up a big wheel of Stilton and its available at the Gland shop.

Hi All,

Jims Gland has both Stilton and Branston.

Any time you want to check out prices take a look online at jims.ch or come visit us in Gland we are open 7 days a week.

You won't see any fresh or frozen goods on site yet but we are working on it. But we do have a good range of cheeses here and plenty of other fresh and frozen goodies in the shop. 

We have just cut up a big wheel of Stilton and its available at the Gland shop.

Chris Pettipiere, Oct 17, 2013 @ 11:58
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 60

Oct 16, 13 20:26

We have locally produced fresh butchers Cumberland sausages now in the Swiss shop in Gland.

Fresh delivery's happen on a Thursday evening.

We have locally produced fresh butchers Cumberland sausages now in the Swiss shop in Gland.

Fresh delivery's happen on a Thursday evening.

Chris Pettipiere, Oct 17, 2013 @ 12:28
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 61

Hi Everyone, there is a new Sunday Roast in Geneva! 
At Restaurant Métropole, not the hotel but a small restaurant on rue du Prince 6 1204 about 50 meters from the Hotel. 

https://amoiel.ch/blog/food-news/british-sunday-roast-au-metropole/

www.metropolegeneve.ch

instragram @metropole_geneve 

At Restaurant Métropole, not the hotel but a small restaurant on rue du Prince 6 1204 about 50 meters from the Hotel. 

www.metropolegeneve.ch

Paul Keenan, Nov 20, 2023 @ 18:12
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 62

www.metropolegeneve.ch

Nov 20, 23 18:12

That beef could use some oven time

That beef could use some oven time

Sean C, Nov 22, 2023 @ 22:43
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
63 Replies | 5626 Views      |  Send to friend