Login or Sign Up

Forums in Geneva > Geneva > Applying for working permit in Covid times

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Applying for working permit in Covid times

Hi everybody,

Since I just arrived in Geneva, one of the first things I will have to do is to apply for a working permit. Since all the offices are closed, I sent an online enquiry for an appointment, but I have no idea how long it will take and if everything will go smoothly.

Does anyone here have any recent experience with the competent office?

Was it particularly difficult?

Thanks

The text you are quoting:

Hi everybody,

Since I just arrived in Geneva, one of the first things I will have to do is to apply for a working permit. Since all the offices are closed, I sent an online enquiry for an appointment, but I have no idea how long it will take and if everything will go smoothly.

Does anyone here have any recent experience with the competent office?

Was it particularly difficult?

Thanks

Gabriele BFeb 23, 2021 @ 14:13
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

7 Replies | 733 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Applying for working permit in Covid times
Post 1

hello,

i had a receient experience with the permit of my wife, depending on your status if EU citizen, non european, etc. you have to do everything by post, and then you should receive an appointment for biometrics, etc.

the below link you can fin the info based on your status. if you need any help let me know.

https://www.ge.ch/annoncer-mon-arrivee-ocpm 

hello,

i had a receient experience with the permit of my wife, depending on your status if EU citizen, non european, etc. you have to do everything by post, and then you should receive an appointment for biometrics, etc.

the below link you can fin the info based on your status. if you need any help let me know.

https://www.ge.ch/annoncer-mon-arrivee-ocpm 

edward martinez, Feb 23, 2021 @ 14:48
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

Thanks a lot for your reply Edward.

I have now a follow-up question: would it be possible to open up a bank account without. Since I don't have a permit yet and I don't know what the bank could accept or not...Can anyone shed some light on this matter?

Thanks a lot, again,

Gabriele

I have now a follow-up question: would it be possible to open up a bank account without. Since I don't have a permit yet and I don't know what the bank could accept or not...Can anyone shed some light on this matter?

Thanks a lot, again,

Gabriele

Gabriele B, Feb 24, 2021 @ 12:00
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

Hi Gabriele,

Unfortunately I think you need to provide a resident permit to prove you live here. It would be too easy otherwise ;)

Good luck!

T

Hi Gabriele,

Unfortunately I think you need to provide a resident permit to prove you live here. It would be too easy otherwise ;)

Good luck!

T

Tina B, Feb 25, 2021 @ 14:13
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

Thanks a lot, again,

Gabriele

Feb 24, 21 12:00

I wonder if the Italian Community Social Club might be able to help you.  They will surely have members who encountered and resolved similar issues when they first arrived in Geneva.

The Club has a website.

Best wishes, R.

I wonder if the Italian Community Social Club might be able to help you.  They will surely have members who encountered and resolved similar issues when they first arrived in Geneva.

The Club has a website.

Best wishes, R.

Ritchie, Feb 25, 2021 @ 19:54
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5

You could open up a Revolut account, it's all digital. Can use the card for purchases anywhere and online. The only catch is, it's a bit difficult and specific to have your salary go to that account. Otherwise, it's fantastic, and rates are extremely competitive for transfers and exchanges. By the time you've found your work situation though, opening an account should be easier. 

Also, on the cantonal site it says the standard wait time is 8 weeks. Hope this helps. 

You could open up a Revolut account, it's all digital. Can use the card for purchases anywhere and online. The only catch is, it's a bit difficult and specific to have your salary go to that account. Otherwise, it's fantastic, and rates are extremely competitive for transfers and exchanges. By the time you've found your work situation though, opening an account should be easier. 

Also, on the cantonal site it says the standard wait time is 8 weeks. Hope this helps. 

Timothy S, Feb 26, 2021 @ 13:45
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6

Feb 26, 21 13:45

I was actually considering this option since I already have a Revolut account, and I love it! Just the relative address is in Germany (where I used to live) meaning that I should change it.

Why do you say that having the salary on it might be tricky? I see that in the options of my current plan (free) this is doable.

Thanks

I was actually considering this option since I already have a Revolut account, and I love it! Just the relative address is in Germany (where I used to live) meaning that I should change it.

Why do you say that having the salary on it might be tricky? I see that in the options of my current plan (free) this is doable.

Thanks

Gabriele B, Feb 26, 2021 @ 16:51
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 7

Perhaps my case is isolated, but I gave HR my Revolut banking information, and it was rejected several times. I had to open an account at Credit Suisse, and the individual helping me set up the account stated that to get the account set up correctly was very tedious. He had heard of this issue in several instances. That is just my experience though. 

Perhaps my case is isolated, but I gave HR my Revolut banking information, and it was rejected several times. I had to open an account at Credit Suisse, and the individual helping me set up the account stated that to get the account set up correctly was very tedious. He had heard of this issue in several instances. That is just my experience though. 

Timothy S, Feb 26, 2021 @ 19:06
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
7 Replies | 733 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form