Login or Sign Up

Forums in Geneva > Geneva > Asking the regie to decrease the rent due to construction work

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Asking the regie to decrease the rent due to construction work

I live in an apartment block in Geneva where they are going to build 2 new floors.

The construction has started and the scafolding went up a month ago.

The scafolding is blocking half of my balcony and the shutters in both my rooms (where I sleep ended up staying open and the other room closed).

I talked to the regie to see if there was going to be a decrease in rent. And they asked me to contact me next year when the works are done to see *IF* there was going to be an indemnization. 

what can be done there? I assume Asloca can help, but...

I started looking for a place (before the construction) and was given the details of an "agent" to help with the search. 
First thing the agent asked: "Have you ever contested the price of the rent?"
Acording to the agent, the regies share info with eachofher (her words) and if I get "flagged" it will be hard to get a place in the future.

Any thoughts?

The text you are quoting:

I live in an apartment block in Geneva where they are going to build 2 new floors.

The construction has started and the scafolding went up a month ago.

The scafolding is blocking half of my balcony and the shutters in both my rooms (where I sleep ended up staying open and the other room closed).

I talked to the regie to see if there was going to be a decrease in rent. And they asked me to contact me next year when the works are done to see *IF* there was going to be an indemnization. 

what can be done there? I assume Asloca can help, but...

I started looking for a place (before the construction) and was given the details of an "agent" to help with the search. 
First thing the agent asked: "Have you ever contested the price of the rent?"
Acording to the agent, the regies share info with eachofher (her words) and if I get "flagged" it will be hard to get a place in the future.

Any thoughts?

calfordJul 9, 2022 @ 12:33
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

2 Replies | 786 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Asking the regie to decrease the rent due to construction work
Post 1

Hi Calford.

I've also heard that if you ask for a rent decrease or basically do anything that irritates your regie, you'll be flagged and no regie will agree to rent to you.
It sounds extreme to me, and I have a hard time believing there's some list the regies share.
Maybe once upon a time when there were fewer regies.

Nonetheless, regies do have a lot of power so I'd be wary of getting on the wrong side of one.

Maybe someone who works / worked for a regie will see this thread and give us some insider info.

Good luck with your house hunting.

Oded

Hi Calford.

I've also heard that if you ask for a rent decrease or basically do anything that irritates your regie, you'll be flagged and no regie will agree to rent to you.
It sounds extreme to me, and I have a hard time believing there's some list the regies share.
Maybe once upon a time when there were fewer regies.

Nonetheless, regies do have a lot of power so I'd be wary of getting on the wrong side of one.

Maybe someone who works / worked for a regie will see this thread and give us some insider info.

Good luck with your house hunting.

Oded

SiteAdmin Oded, Jul 10, 2022 @ 20:17
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Re: Asking the regie to decrease the rent due to construction work
Post 2

Hi Calford,

My advice would be to go to ASLOCA Geneva. It is an association based in the Eaux-Vices area in charge of defending the tenants all around Switzerland. They are real professionals and give very good advices. However, you have to be a member and pay something like 60.- to join the association on a yearly basis. You can join the association on the spot, once you are there.

Remember to cancel your membership several months in advance if you don't want to pay it again next year.

Good luck

Fran

Hi Calford,

My advice would be to go to ASLOCA Geneva. It is an association based in the Eaux-Vices area in charge of defending the tenants all around Switzerland. They are real professionals and give very good advices. However, you have to be a member and pay something like 60.- to join the association on a yearly basis. You can join the association on the spot, once you are there.

Remember to cancel your membership several months in advance if you don't want to pay it again next year.

Good luck

Fran

Fran, Jul 11, 2022 @ 10:35
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
2 Replies | 786 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form