Login or Sign Up

Forums in Geneva > Geneva > Book swap

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Book swap
Please advise-anyone know of a book swap/exchange facility in Geneva, seem to be reading faster than normal when i dont understand the TV!
Thanks, Rachel
The text you are quoting:
Please advise-anyone know of a book swap/exchange facility in Geneva, seem to be reading faster than normal when i dont understand the TV!
Thanks, Rachel
RachelApr 15, 2006 @ 15:55
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

9 Replies | 1432 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Book swap
Post 1
hi there. i don't know about book swapping in geneva...but there's a decent english book section at the geneva public library (near bel air cite stop)and i've heard of an american library in paquis, but you need to pay to join. haven't checked it out yet. good luck!
hi there. i don't know about book swapping in geneva...but there's a decent english book section at the geneva public library (near bel air cite stop)and i've heard of an american library in paquis, but you need to pay to join. haven't checked it out yet. good luck!
fuzzyshoe, Apr 15, 2006 @ 19:08
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2
but 3 other ideas:

1. Sell your old books at the flea market in PlainPallais. It's on every saturday. They will give you pennies for the books, but might be better than nothing...

2. Contact GoL member Tiffany, who runs the GoL book club. She may have some ideas...

3. i will swap my books with you...(-: I am a real book worm, and end up with many read books, and am always looking for new ones to read (mostly non fiction). Pls drop me a mail if you're game...

but 3 other ideas:

1. Sell your old books at the flea market in PlainPallais. It's on every saturday. They will give you pennies for the books, but might be better than nothing...

2. Contact GoL member Tiffany, who runs the GoL book club. She may have some ideas...

3. i will swap my books with you...(-: I am a real book worm, and end up with many read books, and am always looking for new ones to read (mostly non fiction). Pls drop me a mail if you're game...

Nir Ofek, Apr 15, 2006 @ 19:46
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3
Perhaps I'm lazy as hell, perhaps I'm more net-oriented... (apologies in advance for constantly hawking the internet as a panacea, but..)

You can sell any and all of your books on Ebay (buyer pays shipping) and you can sell your used books on Amazon (buyer pays shipping) - and also you can buy from Amazon USA (also Amazon UK, Amazon FR), with a credit card. Shipping here is pretty cheap, if you send it by regular mail (takes about 20 days).

Of course, it is fun to go to a flea market, so go do that. But you have a wider range of buyers online!
Perhaps I'm lazy as hell, perhaps I'm more net-oriented... (apologies in advance for constantly hawking the internet as a panacea, but..)

You can sell any and all of your books on Ebay (buyer pays shipping) and you can sell your used books on Amazon (buyer pays shipping) - and also you can buy from Amazon USA (also Amazon UK, Amazon FR), with a credit card. Shipping here is pretty cheap, if you send it by regular mail (takes about 20 days).

Of course, it is fun to go to a flea market, so go do that. But you have a wider range of buyers online!
Jennifer, Apr 15, 2006 @ 20:49
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4
(I know, I know, now I'm REALLY being annoying, apologies in advance)

:)

You can download SCADS of good books from www.audible.com. How you do it is join as a 1-year member, and you pick one of the memberships where they charge you about 15 USD a month, and you get to download 2 books a month, or you buy a one-off membership, where you pay 120 or something, and get 20-25 book credits.

Many, many new bestsellers and old classics are available here. It is GREAT because I often buy books and don't have time to read them, but audiobooks are perfect for listening if you are driving - even just to Lausanne or something - or working out on a bike, or machine at Holmes Place. Seriously, it is a great use of time. I've "read" about 50 books in the past 3 year this way - and I had got out of the habit of pleasure/fiction or history reading, because I was "too busy" or whatever.

They are in ipod format, so you can put them in an MP3 or ipod player. You can also burn them to CD, but this takes a bit of time.

If you join as a new member, you can get a discount on an Ipod or other Mp3 player, as a part of your joining fee.

If you join, say "jennjenn22" referred you, and I get a free book. :)
(I know, I know, now I'm REALLY being annoying, apologies in advance)

:)

You can download SCADS of good books from www.audible.com. How you do it is join as a 1-year member, and you pick one of the memberships where they charge you about 15 USD a month, and you get to download 2 books a month, or you buy a one-off membership, where you pay 120 or something, and get 20-25 book credits.

Many, many new bestsellers and old classics are available here. It is GREAT because I often buy books and don't have time to read them, but audiobooks are perfect for listening if you are driving - even just to Lausanne or something - or working out on a bike, or machine at Holmes Place. Seriously, it is a great use of time. I've "read" about 50 books in the past 3 year this way - and I had got out of the habit of pleasure/fiction or history reading, because I was "too busy" or whatever.

They are in ipod format, so you can put them in an MP3 or ipod player. You can also burn them to CD, but this takes a bit of time.

If you join as a new member, you can get a discount on an Ipod or other Mp3 player, as a part of your joining fee.

If you join, say "jennjenn22" referred you, and I get a free book. :)
Jennifer, Apr 15, 2006 @ 20:57
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5
I also have bought e-books, on download, from Amazon. I used this for my travel books to the Carribean (Frommers, etc) - just had them on my laptop, and there was far less weight for travelling.

Bought my GOL book-club book on download from Amazon too. Easy, and cheaper than the local Payot! (if you don't mind reading a book in Adobe Reader, which I don't).
I also have bought e-books, on download, from Amazon. I used this for my travel books to the Carribean (Frommers, etc) - just had them on my laptop, and there was far less weight for travelling.

Bought my GOL book-club book on download from Amazon too. Easy, and cheaper than the local Payot! (if you don't mind reading a book in Adobe Reader, which I don't).
Jennifer, Apr 15, 2006 @ 21:02
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6
maybe organise an activity where people come to swap books, have a little chat, eat something...it's just an idea.
maybe organise an activity where people come to swap books, have a little chat, eat something...it's just an idea.
Iolly, Apr 16, 2006 @ 15:18
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 7
I am usually going to the geneva public library (they have 5 or 6 branches, one in every area) and can find most of them .. but ...
sometimes the books are old or the new ones are not available.
there's a place in Rue de Carouge (always forget the name) which is a cafe and second hand book shop, u can give them ur old ones and they'll "pay" u, or swap with books they have there for the same value. (will look for the place and let u know).
Or .. we can start a GOL book club, I have too many books (read 1 or 2 a week usually) and on top of missing money to buy them .. I have no place to store them. Hope it helps

Val
I am usually going to the geneva public library (they have 5 or 6 branches, one in every area) and can find most of them .. but ...
sometimes the books are old or the new ones are not available.
there's a place in Rue de Carouge (always forget the name) which is a cafe and second hand book shop, u can give them ur old ones and they'll "pay" u, or swap with books they have there for the same value. (will look for the place and let u know).
Or .. we can start a GOL book club, I have too many books (read 1 or 2 a week usually) and on top of missing money to buy them .. I have no place to store them. Hope it helps

Val
Hoiling, Apr 16, 2006 @ 15:26
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 8
Hi there. I don't know about book swapping in Geneva, but there is always a good (actually great) english book section at "Kermesse" at the International School of Geneva (62, route de Chene, tram stop:Grange Canal) Books for adults (sfr 2.-) books for children sfr 1.-)......and you can find a huge selection of french books too.
Kermesse is great at the school, lots of diffrent food to taste as well. Have fun!
Hi there. I don't know about book swapping in Geneva, but there is always a good (actually great) english book section at "Kermesse" at the International School of Geneva (62, route de Chene, tram stop:Grange Canal) Books for adults (sfr 2.-) books for children sfr 1.-)......and you can find a huge selection of french books too.
Kermesse is great at the school, lots of diffrent food to taste as well. Have fun!
SWISS, Apr 25, 2006 @ 15:59
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
9 Replies | 1432 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form