Login or Sign Up

Forums in Geneva > Geneva > Brown Sugar for Baking

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Brown Sugar for Baking
OK, all you Domestic Gods and Godesses . . . show us your stuff . . .

Is there any secret I need to know to find brown sugar for baking? I bought what I thought was it, but it ended up being for gels, then, the other stuff I bought was hard as a rock. Any tips?

Thanks,
Michele
The text you are quoting:
OK, all you Domestic Gods and Godesses . . . show us your stuff . . .

Is there any secret I need to know to find brown sugar for baking? I bought what I thought was it, but it ended up being for gels, then, the other stuff I bought was hard as a rock. Any tips?

Thanks,
Michele
3PuttBogeyFeb 7, 2006 @ 22:06
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

7 Replies | 1846 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Brown Sugar for Baking
Post 1
Try Globus, Michelle. They have great stuff there! If you do not find what you need, let me know, OK?
Try Globus, Michelle. They have great stuff there! If you do not find what you need, let me know, OK?
Iolly, Feb 7, 2006 @ 23:42
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2
Both Co-op and Migros do brown sugar. I prefer the lovely unrefined fine stuff at the Co-op that is just like brown caster sugar. For example, it mixes in smoothly when you're making a cake mix. Mmm... You can also get some great sugar from the various health food stores around Geneva. Not sure where you are in Geneva but there's one in the Servette area called "Bio-Servette" and on the Eaux-Vives side there's "Le March? de Vie". If you fancy venturing a bit further afield, in nearby France you've got the chain of "Satoriz" health food stores in either Ferney-Voltaire or Ambilly. I shop there quite a lot so drop me a line if you want to come along. Good luck with the baking!
Both Co-op and Migros do brown sugar. I prefer the lovely unrefined fine stuff at the Co-op that is just like brown caster sugar. For example, it mixes in smoothly when you're making a cake mix. Mmm... You can also get some great sugar from the various health food stores around Geneva. Not sure where you are in Geneva but there's one in the Servette area called "Bio-Servette" and on the Eaux-Vives side there's "Le March? de Vie". If you fancy venturing a bit further afield, in nearby France you've got the chain of "Satoriz" health food stores in either Ferney-Voltaire or Ambilly. I shop there quite a lot so drop me a line if you want to come along. Good luck with the baking!
lentil, Feb 8, 2006 @ 02:04
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3
anyhow, that aside. go to the american market in geneva for brown sugar. it's more expensive but it is the familiar texture and makes excellent chocolate chip cookies. ;) i don't have the address offhand but it's near the trainstation. message me for details, i have the card around here somewhere.
anyhow, that aside. go to the american market in geneva for brown sugar. it's more expensive but it is the familiar texture and makes excellent chocolate chip cookies. ;) i don't have the address offhand but it's near the trainstation. message me for details, i have the card around here somewhere.
fuzzyshoe, Feb 8, 2006 @ 02:41
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4
Thanks for your tips :)
Thanks for your tips :)
3PuttBogey, Feb 8, 2006 @ 13:07
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5
If you want the soft brown sugar for baking or Thai recipes I'd try Jim's mini-market - the British place near Ferney. I've got it there before. It does tend to turn hard quite quickly but you can also grate it. The best example I've found in this hemisphere was from the UK - Tesco I think - the dark soft sticky stuff - and as long as you keep it in an airtight container, it lasts a very long time.
If you want the soft brown sugar for baking or Thai recipes I'd try Jim's mini-market - the British place near Ferney. I've got it there before. It does tend to turn hard quite quickly but you can also grate it. The best example I've found in this hemisphere was from the UK - Tesco I think - the dark soft sticky stuff - and as long as you keep it in an airtight container, it lasts a very long time.
Bella98, Feb 9, 2006 @ 16:37
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6
hi there. looked it up and the american market is on rue de neuchatel at number 3. (assuming you go on foot) you go from the trainstation down the large street leading towards the lake (rue des alpes) and turn left on rue de neuchatel, the store is on your left. it's good for when i am desperate for a taste of home ;) pace picante, log cabin syrup, stovetop stuffing, etc. it's a small shop but pretty well stocked. good luck.
hi there. looked it up and the american market is on rue de neuchatel at number 3. (assuming you go on foot) you go from the trainstation down the large street leading towards the lake (rue des alpes) and turn left on rue de neuchatel, the store is on your left. it's good for when i am desperate for a taste of home ;) pace picante, log cabin syrup, stovetop stuffing, etc. it's a small shop but pretty well stocked. good luck.
fuzzyshoe, Feb 9, 2006 @ 17:06
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
7 Replies | 1846 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form