Login or Sign Up

Forums in Geneva > Geneva > Buying a secondhand car from diplomat

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Buying a secondhand car from diplomat

Hello, I was wondering if there is a second hand car dealership/agent that deals in selling second hand cars that while they are still tax exempt? I have diplomatic status, so I understand I can buy them without there being any tax implications on me. Thanks!

The text you are quoting:

Hello, I was wondering if there is a second hand car dealership/agent that deals in selling second hand cars that while they are still tax exempt? I have diplomatic status, so I understand I can buy them without there being any tax implications on me. Thanks!

Tanaya MNov 17, 2018 @ 23:07
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

5 Replies | 2574 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Buying a secondhand car from diplomat
Post 1

Nov 17, 18 23:07

I would suggest that you ask the HR department of your Embassy, Consulate, or UN organization for advice as they will surely have helped people like you in the past.

All the best,

R.

I would suggest that you ask the HR department of your Embassy, Consulate, or UN organization for advice as they will surely have helped people like you in the past.

All the best,

R.

Ritchie, Nov 18, 2018 @ 16:02
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

You can find cars advertisments board near the Cafeteria at Palais des Nations

You can find cars advertisments board near the Cafeteria at Palais des Nations

Mohd Bilal A, Nov 19, 2018 @ 17:50
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

Thank you Ritchie and Mohd Bilal A! HR has not been very helpful and I do not have access to the advertisements board at the UN. :(

Any other suggestions would be most appreciated!

Thank you Ritchie and Mohd Bilal A! HR has not been very helpful and I do not have access to the advertisements board at the UN. :(

Any other suggestions would be most appreciated!

Tanaya M, Nov 20, 2018 @ 08:18
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

For Volvo, Autobritt Geneve knows all about selling their cars tax exempt to diplomats and alike. Mr. Laurent Bateman can inform you very well. However, to get access to diplomatic prices, it has to be for new cars, manufactured after your order. I am not sure about second hand cars how it works. But he can probably help you with your questions.

For Volvo, Autobritt Geneve knows all about selling their cars tax exempt to diplomats and alike. Mr. Laurent Bateman can inform you very well. However, to get access to diplomatic prices, it has to be for new cars, manufactured after your order. I am not sure about second hand cars how it works. But he can probably help you with your questions.

ajimenezp, Nov 20, 2018 @ 23:27
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5

May I suggest that you inform yourself before putting more time into this?

Here is the policy:

Based on the Vienna Conventions on Diplomatic and Consular Relations, exemption from customs duties and VAT is granted on the importation of all items that:  

are intended for the official use of embassies, consulates, international organisations and missions
or are intended for the personal use of members of representations and organisations who have diplomatic status.

On account of their status, diplomats enjoy the privilege of running vehicles imported free of duties and taxes and also tax-free fuel. The scope of the privileges depends on the reciprocity granted by the sending state

If you plan to import a new or used vehicle, you can do so duty and tax free. Auto concesionaires will offer to sell you vehicles which they will "import" for you and sell it tax and duty free.

First, I doubt that you will find any of them selling used cars but you can try. Second, the place to get the information from is the concesionaires. It is usually European firms, as Japanese or Korean manufacturers will not "import" cars for you from such far away places.

May I suggest that you inform yourself before putting more time into this?

Here is the policy:

Based on the Vienna Conventions on Diplomatic and Consular Relations, exemption from customs duties and VAT is granted on the importation of all items that:  

are intended for the official use of embassies, consulates, international organisations and missions
or are intended for the personal use of members of representations and organisations who have diplomatic status.

On account of their status, diplomats enjoy the privilege of running vehicles imported free of duties and taxes and also tax-free fuel. The scope of the privileges depends on the reciprocity granted by the sending state

If you plan to import a new or used vehicle, you can do so duty and tax free. Auto concesionaires will offer to sell you vehicles which they will "import" for you and sell it tax and duty free.

First, I doubt that you will find any of them selling used cars but you can try. Second, the place to get the information from is the concesionaires. It is usually European firms, as Japanese or Korean manufacturers will not "import" cars for you from such far away places.

JR M, Nov 21, 2018 @ 20:55
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
5 Replies | 2574 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form