Login or Sign Up

Forums in Geneva > Geneva > Can UK driving license be used in Suisse indefinitely?

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Can UK driving license be used in Suisse indefinitely?
I heard that you have to re take the driving test if you want to buy a car etc in Geneva, even if you have a european (in my case a UK) driving license. Can anyone shed some light on this? True or not?
The text you are quoting:
I heard that you have to re take the driving test if you want to buy a car etc in Geneva, even if you have a european (in my case a UK) driving license. Can anyone shed some light on this? True or not?
MishaMay 13, 2006 @ 15:21
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

8 Replies | 1758 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Can UK driving license be used in Suisse indefinitely?
Post 1
Yep you have 12 months, and here's the link: http://www.ge.ch/san/permis-de-conduire-et-permis-d-eleve/welcome.asp?rubrique=echange-d-un-permis-de-conduire-etranger&titre=Echange_d'un_permis_de_conduire_?tranger

move your cursor over 'info practique', to see where they are etc. There are foto machines there too.

You'll get your new one in about 20 minutes and it costs 100chf.

Yep you have 12 months, and here's the link: http://www.ge.ch/san/permis-de-conduire-et-permis-d-eleve/welcome.asp?rubrique=echange-d-un-permis-de-conduire-etranger&titre=Echange_d'un_permis_de_conduire_?tranger

move your cursor over 'info practique', to see where they are etc. There are foto machines there too.

You'll get your new one in about 20 minutes and it costs 100chf.

wilycoyote, May 13, 2006 @ 19:43
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2
Your UK Driving licence is valid upto a year, before you have to change it for a Swiss one. If you don't change it before the year is up you will then have to take the "swiss car test" to drive in Switzerland. When applying for your swiss licence by exhanging your UK licence you will have to go for an eye test first.

Insurance companies will provide insurance on a UK licence, but you will not have any no claims bonus, you have to start from scratch.
Your UK Driving licence is valid upto a year, before you have to change it for a Swiss one. If you don't change it before the year is up you will then have to take the "swiss car test" to drive in Switzerland. When applying for your swiss licence by exhanging your UK licence you will have to go for an eye test first.

Insurance companies will provide insurance on a UK licence, but you will not have any no claims bonus, you have to start from scratch.
Mark, May 13, 2006 @ 23:24
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3
All of the threads is correct accorsing to the information that the state provides

But I was in Switzerland for 18 months before changing my license, and driving a Swiss car. You just need the eye test, and you can change your license, the will not ask you to retake the drivers test for changing a UK license, as it is considered the same standard as a UK one

And your insurance bonus will be low as you have no insurance history in Switzerland not becaue you have a UK license. but if you play a couple of insurance companies against each other the you can negotiate a good bonus

Simon
All of the threads is correct accorsing to the information that the state provides

But I was in Switzerland for 18 months before changing my license, and driving a Swiss car. You just need the eye test, and you can change your license, the will not ask you to retake the drivers test for changing a UK license, as it is considered the same standard as a UK one

And your insurance bonus will be low as you have no insurance history in Switzerland not becaue you have a UK license. but if you play a couple of insurance companies against each other the you can negotiate a good bonus

Simon
DJ_Symcard, May 14, 2006 @ 03:53
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4
made a few mistakes

meant to say a UK license is considered the same standard as a Swiss one
made a few mistakes

meant to say a UK license is considered the same standard as a Swiss one
DJ_Symcard, May 14, 2006 @ 03:54
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5
change your driver's license, then you have to go through the whole process of driving hours+exam. I case you go back to the UK, you can recover your UK license.
change your driver's license, then you have to go through the whole process of driving hours+exam. I case you go back to the UK, you can recover your UK license.
Iolly, May 14, 2006 @ 17:40
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6
After being in Geneva for 18 months. and didn't have to do that.

Has anyone had to do this?
After being in Geneva for 18 months. and didn't have to do that.

Has anyone had to do this?
DJ_Symcard, May 14, 2006 @ 18:59
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
8 Replies | 1758 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form