Login or Sign Up

Forums in Geneva > Geneva > Carte de légitimation and Schengen Visa Question

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Carte de légitimation and Schengen Visa Question

I currently hold a Carte de léegitimation as an American citizen working for the UN. I am wondering if I am allowed to stay in the Schengen countries for three months after my Carte expires as a tourist which is the typical alotted time for Americans to travel without a visa.

Do I have to exit Schengen and re-enter?

Do I have to return to the United States?

Any information would be helpful as the US embassy was not, and Swiss migration people not really.

The text you are quoting:

I currently hold a Carte de léegitimation as an American citizen working for the UN. I am wondering if I am allowed to stay in the Schengen countries for three months after my Carte expires as a tourist which is the typical alotted time for Americans to travel without a visa.

Do I have to exit Schengen and re-enter?

Do I have to return to the United States?

Any information would be helpful as the US embassy was not, and Swiss migration people not really.

Lucy SmithJul 7, 2011 @ 17:35
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

4 Replies | 4865 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Carte de légitimation and Schengen Visa Question
Post 1

Hello! I am having the exact same issue. I know this is quite a late response but if you figured it out PLEASE let me know what the answer was.

Many Thanks!

Hello! I am having the exact same issue. I know this is quite a late response but if you figured it out PLEASE let me know what the answer was.

Many Thanks!

Najla A, Apr 2, 2012 @ 14:46
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

I was told by the GVA canton you can stay for 3 months in Switzerland after it had expired (and that includes travelling to other schengen countries).

I was told by the GVA canton you can stay for 3 months in Switzerland after it had expired (and that includes travelling to other schengen countries).

Rachel A, Apr 9, 2012 @ 02:32
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

Does anyone know if this answer is still true? I read French, but the Cantonal Office information is a bit confusing.

Does anyone know if this answer is still true? I read French, but the Cantonal Office information is a bit confusing.

Catherine K, Nov 11, 2016 @ 15:02
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

Nov 11, 16 15:02

As at last month it is still true. I know someone who asked in October and was told the same thing,

As at last month it is still true. I know someone who asked in October and was told the same thing,

Marcy S, Nov 17, 2016 @ 11:54
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
4 Replies | 4865 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form