Login or Sign Up

Forums in Geneva > Geneva > Desperately Seeking Kosher Salt

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Desperately Seeking Kosher Salt
hi all. i am searching for kosher salt, you know, the kind for pickling and cooking with (bigger grains, less salty flavor...no, not sea salt or fleur de sel). any idea what it's called in french or where to buy it here? i've asked some of my usual suspects (including a chef!) and no one could help me out with this one. thanks in advance.
The text you are quoting:
hi all. i am searching for kosher salt, you know, the kind for pickling and cooking with (bigger grains, less salty flavor...no, not sea salt or fleur de sel). any idea what it's called in french or where to buy it here? i've asked some of my usual suspects (including a chef!) and no one could help me out with this one. thanks in advance.
fuzzyshoeMar 27, 2007 @ 15:04
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

18 Replies | 3052 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Desperately Seeking Kosher Salt
Post 1
Don't want to give you false hope, but Placette (Manor) used to sell some kosher food.
Don't want to give you false hope, but Placette (Manor) used to sell some kosher food.
Casuistik, Mar 28, 2007 @ 07:17
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2
is around the corner. i would imagine that's why ;) i ended up using normal salt but half the amount in the recipe. i'll cross my fingers and then check manor for the next time. thanks all.
is around the corner. i would imagine that's why ;) i ended up using normal salt but half the amount in the recipe. i'll cross my fingers and then check manor for the next time. thanks all.
fuzzyshoe, Mar 28, 2007 @ 11:14
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3
In US cookbooks they use the term Kosher salt interchangeably with sea salt... It may be true that real kosher salt has larger grains, but generally just use a good quality normal sea salt (Maldon).
In US cookbooks they use the term Kosher salt interchangeably with sea salt... It may be true that real kosher salt has larger grains, but generally just use a good quality normal sea salt (Maldon).
hester, Apr 2, 2007 @ 13:47
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

Hi!

Did you ever find the kosher salt? If so, where? We have been searching around Geneva for a couple of months w/o success.

Hi!

Did you ever find the kosher salt? If so, where? We have been searching around Geneva for a couple of months w/o success.

Scott B, Jan 8, 2011 @ 10:03
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5

tried the Kosher shop in Annemasse?

tried the Kosher shop in Annemasse?

hay_, Jan 8, 2011 @ 12:26
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6

there are a few kosher restaurants around town... i believe Quai 55 in eaux vives is... so you could contact the chef there if need be. 

there are a few kosher restaurants around town... i believe Quai 55 in eaux vives is... so you could contact the chef there if need be. 

Josh Troy, Jan 8, 2011 @ 16:18
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 7
Apr 2, 07 13:47

I have the same view that kosher salt is basically sea salt that been certified by a synagogue or a rabbi as kosher, sea salt however has a weird taste. Switzerland banned kosher slaughter in a referendum in 1893 (look up  http://www.haaretz.com/print-edition/opinion/what-do-mosque-minarets-and-kosher-slaughter-have-in-common-1.2720). Kosher salt is used in the process to help prepare kosher meats. I wonder if some of the difficulty in finding the salt is a result of the ban on kosher slaughter. You should be able to get some kosher salt from France, if not ask kosher restaurants...or for a fun and different experience, drop by a synagogue and ask the rabbi where he buys his salt :D

I have the same view that kosher salt is basically sea salt that been certified by a synagogue or a rabbi as kosher, sea salt however has a weird taste. Switzerland banned kosher slaughter in a referendum in 1893 (look up  http://www.haaretz.com/print-edition/opinion/what-do-mosque-minarets-and-kosher-slaughter-have-in-common-1.2720). Kosher salt is used in the process to help prepare kosher meats. I wonder if some of the difficulty in finding the salt is a result of the ban on kosher slaughter. You should be able to get some kosher salt from France, if not ask kosher restaurants...or for a fun and different experience, drop by a synagogue and ask the rabbi where he buys his salt :D

Pia G, Jan 8, 2011 @ 18:26
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 8

So much demand for kosher salt! The Dead Sea Factory could make great business here!

So much demand for kosher salt! The Dead Sea Factory could make great business here!

Tal A, Jan 10, 2011 @ 12:35
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 9

Kosher salt is nothing but "gros sel" in French ad you can find it about everywhere refined (white) or not (grey) :-) If you want something finer, go for "fleur de sel".

Bon appétit,

François

Kosher salt is nothing but "gros sel" in French ad you can find it about everywhere refined (white) or not (grey) :-) If you want something finer, go for "fleur de sel".

Bon appétit,

François

Free, Jan 10, 2011 @ 13:08
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 10

Se details on Wikipedia: Koshering salt, usually referred to as kosher salt in the US, is a term that describes one of the commonly used varieties of edible salt in commercial kitchens today. The term "kosher salt" derives not from its being made in accordance with the guidelines for kosher foods as written in the Torah (nearly all salt is kosher, including ordinary table salt), but rather due to its use in making meats kosher. "Kosher certified salt" is salt that has been certified as such by an appropriate religious body.

Se details on Wikipedia: Koshering salt, usually referred to as kosher salt in the US, is a term that describes one of the commonly used varieties of edible salt in commercial kitchens today. The term "kosher salt" derives not from its being made in accordance with the guidelines for kosher foods as written in the Torah (nearly all salt is kosher, including ordinary table salt), but rather due to its use in making meats kosher. "Kosher certified salt" is salt that has been certified as such by an appropriate religious body.

Free, Jan 10, 2011 @ 13:14
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 11

Kosher salt for pickling is corser and has no iode nor fluor. It is essential for the pickling process and have been looking for years here. I did one time have a friend who brought a kilo from the US, but thrê only other time I found a usable salt , it came from Paris. If anyone knows where to find some locally , I am interested.

Kosher salt for pickling is corser and has no iode nor fluor. It is essential for the pickling process and have been looking for years here. I did one time have a friend who brought a kilo from the US, but thrê only other time I found a usable salt , it came from Paris. If anyone knows where to find some locally , I am interested.

Here Now, Nov 9, 2014 @ 19:26
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 12

Nov 9, 14 19:26

I make my own pickles (just made a batch of 50kg of mixed vegies for the upcoming Armenien Fair, Nov 22&23 at Chene Bougeries "Salle des Fetes") and I use regular salt I find here or in France. Sure "kosher" salt is ideal, but regular salt (either fluoré or iodé or even both) can be used without making such a hudge difference.

I make my own pickles (just made a batch of 50kg of mixed vegies for the upcoming Armenien Fair, Nov 22&23 at Chene Bougeries "Salle des Fetes") and I use regular salt I find here or in France. Sure "kosher" salt is ideal, but regular salt (either fluoré or iodé or even both) can be used without making such a hudge difference.

hay_, Nov 9, 2014 @ 19:47
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 13

Hi,

What is this American fair please? Who organises it? Sounds like fun.

Hi,

What is this American fair please? Who organises it? Sounds like fun.

delseta9_, Nov 10, 2014 @ 21:45
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 14

hay_, Nov 10, 2014 @ 22:43
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 15

I found salt from Bex, without iode ni fluor at the coop a la praille. It's not coarse, but fills all the other requirements for pickling. My dill tomatoes are in the process now and in about a week to 10 days ,I'll let you know how they turn out.

I found salt from Bex, without iode ni fluor at the coop a la praille. It's not coarse, but fills all the other requirements for pickling. My dill tomatoes are in the process now and in about a week to 10 days ,I'll let you know how they turn out.

Here Now, Nov 12, 2014 @ 07:36
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
18 Replies | 3052 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form