Login or Sign Up

Forums in Geneva > Geneva > Digital camera

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Digital camera
This should be an easy question, but I actually don't know where to go... I want to buy a new pocket sized digital camera, because the one I now have is not small and fast enough. I don't yet know which model would be best for me - might need some advise on that - where should I go to have a look on what there is available?
The text you are quoting:
This should be an easy question, but I actually don't know where to go... I want to buy a new pocket sized digital camera, because the one I now have is not small and fast enough. I don't yet know which model would be best for me - might need some advise on that - where should I go to have a look on what there is available?
silbaJun 19, 2006 @ 14:01
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

8 Replies | 1491 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Digital camera
Post 1
try Manor!! Dont get an HP cause theyre soon gonna stop manufacturing them. Sony s r great..
try Manor!! Dont get an HP cause theyre soon gonna stop manufacturing them. Sony s r great..
luluzinja, Jun 19, 2006 @ 14:23
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2
They have a huge selection, and usually at great prices.

BUT...don't but it now, wait for the sales around end July, where prices are usually cut bu 30-50% on most things...
They have a huge selection, and usually at great prices.

BUT...don't but it now, wait for the sales around end July, where prices are usually cut bu 30-50% on most things...
Nir Ofek, Jun 19, 2006 @ 14:46
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3
I have a Sony Exilim, and I am not happy with its reliability. Already had to get it fixed a few times.

And make sure you get atleast a 5.0 mega pixels...

I have a Sony Exilim, and I am not happy with its reliability. Already had to get it fixed a few times.

And make sure you get atleast a 5.0 mega pixels...

Nir Ofek, Jun 19, 2006 @ 15:00
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4
Silba,
For on-line reviews of different cameras here are a couple of brill sites:
www.megapixel.net
www.dpreview.com

Both have a very exhaustive list of cameras that have been reviewed.

Cheers,
S.
Silba,
For on-line reviews of different cameras here are a couple of brill sites:
www.megapixel.net
www.dpreview.com

Both have a very exhaustive list of cameras that have been reviewed.

Cheers,
S.
shadow69, Jun 19, 2006 @ 15:24
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5
What happened with your camera? Isn't Exilim a Casio, not Sony?

I went to Manor today and found out many small cameras are not THAT small after all, only Sony DSC-T9 and some Exilims were thin... I will go to Mediamarkt next! :)
What happened with your camera? Isn't Exilim a Casio, not Sony?

I went to Manor today and found out many small cameras are not THAT small after all, only Sony DSC-T9 and some Exilims were thin... I will go to Mediamarkt next! :)
silba, Jun 19, 2006 @ 19:57
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6
Useful, thanks! :)
Useful, thanks! :)
silba, Jun 19, 2006 @ 20:00
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 7
I picked up a Ricoh Caplio R4. It's not the smallest, but does fit easily in my pocket, has a 28mm wide-angle as well as 7x optical zoom and mechanical image stabilization. You won't find anything else with those features in that size. It's also very fast to start up, the battery life is great, and the pics have been good so far... amazing macro capabilities and it's discreet enough to do candid shots in the street. If mine was stolen I would buy the same thing again.

The video function on it is not great - vga only, 30 fps, and the quality is not wonderful. Also, it's a small camera with a small flash, so, like any real compact, you'll need to process your pictures a bit more if you take them in a dark place to lighten them and reduce the noise.

You can get them here at Media Markt, I think, but I picked mine up on eBay.

If you don't mind something a little bigger (not quite pocket-sized) and would be willing to lose the wide-angle in order to get more zoom, the new Panasonic TZ1 would be a great choice. Panasonic has really killer image stabilization... you almost need to be trying to get a blurry shot, even at full zoom.
I picked up a Ricoh Caplio R4. It's not the smallest, but does fit easily in my pocket, has a 28mm wide-angle as well as 7x optical zoom and mechanical image stabilization. You won't find anything else with those features in that size. It's also very fast to start up, the battery life is great, and the pics have been good so far... amazing macro capabilities and it's discreet enough to do candid shots in the street. If mine was stolen I would buy the same thing again.

The video function on it is not great - vga only, 30 fps, and the quality is not wonderful. Also, it's a small camera with a small flash, so, like any real compact, you'll need to process your pictures a bit more if you take them in a dark place to lighten them and reduce the noise.

You can get them here at Media Markt, I think, but I picked mine up on eBay.

If you don't mind something a little bigger (not quite pocket-sized) and would be willing to lose the wide-angle in order to get more zoom, the new Panasonic TZ1 would be a great choice. Panasonic has really killer image stabilization... you almost need to be trying to get a blurry shot, even at full zoom.
drummer_boy, Jun 23, 2006 @ 19:57
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
8 Replies | 1491 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form