Login or Sign Up

Forums in Geneva > Geneva > Early termination on a lease

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Early termination on a lease

Hello everyone,  I have asked a few real estate agents this question before but it seems no one has been able to give me a straight forward answer.  I am hoping someone here might be able to help.  As an expat, I am curious what my obligations are if I am fired from my job and let's say I have 9 months remaining on my apartment lease.  According to what I have been told, as a non-EU citizen, I may only be allowed to stay for 30 days after the authorities receive information of my dismissal.   If I am not allowed to stay in the country to fulfill my lease obligations, what do I do?  Can someone else take over my lease?  If someone is able to take over, would I still be held responsible in case they decide not to pay their rent?  If you have had any experience in this, I would be very grateful to hear from you.  Thanks in advance!

Kate

The text you are quoting:

Hello everyone,  I have asked a few real estate agents this question before but it seems no one has been able to give me a straight forward answer.  I am hoping someone here might be able to help.  As an expat, I am curious what my obligations are if I am fired from my job and let's say I have 9 months remaining on my apartment lease.  According to what I have been told, as a non-EU citizen, I may only be allowed to stay for 30 days after the authorities receive information of my dismissal.   If I am not allowed to stay in the country to fulfill my lease obligations, what do I do?  Can someone else take over my lease?  If someone is able to take over, would I still be held responsible in case they decide not to pay their rent?  If you have had any experience in this, I would be very grateful to hear from you.  Thanks in advance!

Kate

Kate NJul 16, 2020 @ 12:35
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

2 Replies | 784 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Early termination on a lease
Post 1

Hello Kate,

As far as I know, if you lose your job, you will not be required to leave Switzerland within 30 days unless you are a carte de légitimation holder. As a B permit holder, you can stay longer and you are eligible to unemployment benefits.

If you want to terminate your lease earlier than the next term, you have to submit to the landlord/regie the applications of 2-3 candidates who are as solvent as you and who are ready to take over your lease at the same terms and conditions.

Hello Kate,

As far as I know, if you lose your job, you will not be required to leave Switzerland within 30 days unless you are a carte de légitimation holder. As a B permit holder, you can stay longer and you are eligible to unemployment benefits.

If you want to terminate your lease earlier than the next term, you have to submit to the landlord/regie the applications of 2-3 candidates who are as solvent as you and who are ready to take over your lease at the same terms and conditions.

Alexandre P, Jul 16, 2020 @ 19:24
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Re: Early termination on a lease
Post 2

Thanks for letting me know.  Sorry, I didn't know you had responded earlier, I'm just now seeing this.

Thanks for letting me know.  Sorry, I didn't know you had responded earlier, I'm just now seeing this.

Kate N, Jul 24, 2020 @ 14:26
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
2 Replies | 784 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form