Login or Sign Up

Forums in Geneva > Geneva > Family of 4 130k gross salary, is it enough?

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Family of 4 130k gross salary, is it enough?

Hi . I am Ray a web developer and received an offer of 130k gross annual salary to live and work from Geneva.
I am really scared that the salary won't be enough or it will be very limiting to live in Geneva with my wife and 2 children ages 2 and 3.

I read that shopping can be done in France to save money. Renting in France is not possible for us since we none EU. 
I thought about living a bit further from geneva but it seems that it's outside the canton and I am not allowed to live there.

If you are a family of 4 or more could you please share your insights if this salary will cover our expenses and if we might save some money as well?

Also, another question is, we are getting B Permit and I wanted to know if my wife can be self-employed? 

The text you are quoting:

Hi . I am Ray a web developer and received an offer of 130k gross annual salary to live and work from Geneva.
I am really scared that the salary won't be enough or it will be very limiting to live in Geneva with my wife and 2 children ages 2 and 3.

I read that shopping can be done in France to save money. Renting in France is not possible for us since we none EU. 
I thought about living a bit further from geneva but it seems that it's outside the canton and I am not allowed to live there.

If you are a family of 4 or more could you please share your insights if this salary will cover our expenses and if we might save some money as well?

Also, another question is, we are getting B Permit and I wanted to know if my wife can be self-employed? 

Ray LuxembourgSep 29, 2021 @ 10:29
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

12 Replies | 2561 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Family of 4 130k gross salary, is it enough?
Post 1

Honestly I do not think so. Rent only for four people means mid size apartment and that can between 3k and 4k. Plus you will need to pay taxes and in addition, health insurance for all, plus utiltiies, plus food that can be hiper expensive. Single person with that salary ok, but unless you have other additional benefits you may need to renegotiate. My personal thought. 

Honestly I do not think so. Rent only for four people means mid size apartment and that can between 3k and 4k. Plus you will need to pay taxes and in addition, health insurance for all, plus utiltiies, plus food that can be hiper expensive. Single person with that salary ok, but unless you have other additional benefits you may need to renegotiate. My personal thought. 

Elianajaneth S, Sep 29, 2021 @ 13:07
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

Also childcare is another quite expensive charge. If it is tax free maybe

Also childcare is another quite expensive charge. If it is tax free maybe

Elianajaneth S, Sep 29, 2021 @ 13:08
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

Could you provide in-depth details?
And what kind of salary would be comfortable in this situation ?

I understand that geneva pays 300 CHF per child.

Could you provide in-depth details?
And what kind of salary would be comfortable in this situation ?

I understand that geneva pays 300 CHF per child.

Ray Luxembourg, Sep 29, 2021 @ 13:12
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

I made some calculations also I want to check if it sounds right.

3500 Rent

1000 Insurance +-

1000 Food ( From France)

100 Electricity

200 internet + phone

We don't plan to send kids to kindergarten/childcare since my wife doesn't work.

I made some calculations also I want to check if it sounds right.

3500 Rent

1000 Insurance +-

1000 Food ( From France)

100 Electricity

200 internet + phone

We don't plan to send kids to kindergarten/childcare since my wife doesn't work.

Ray Luxembourg, Sep 29, 2021 @ 13:20
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5

It's always good to be careful in financial matters, but to put things in perspective, let me mention that the average disposable income per household in Switzerland is 7,000 CHF per month. The average gross income per household is about 10,000 CHF. You are slightly above that.

The poverty threshold for a family of 4 is officially at 50K per year of disposable income. Double that figure is normally fine for all practical purposes. This is a Swiss figure, so we may have to add a bit for the Geneva rent situation, but objectively it looks about ok.

Public school, childcare by a parent, are important choices to limit cost compared to many expatriates. A lot will depend on accomodation, of course. I think it could be a good idea not to live too far from everything, but keep it rather a bit smaller.

It's always good to be careful in financial matters, but to put things in perspective, let me mention that the average disposable income per household in Switzerland is 7,000 CHF per month. The average gross income per household is about 10,000 CHF. You are slightly above that.

The poverty threshold for a family of 4 is officially at 50K per year of disposable income. Double that figure is normally fine for all practical purposes. This is a Swiss figure, so we may have to add a bit for the Geneva rent situation, but objectively it looks about ok.

Public school, childcare by a parent, are important choices to limit cost compared to many expatriates. A lot will depend on accomodation, of course. I think it could be a good idea not to live too far from everything, but keep it rather a bit smaller.

Sven T, Sep 29, 2021 @ 15:49
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6

If you plan to buy all your food in France you’ll have to live near the border.  Will this also be convenient for getting to work?  Transport, whether public or private, costs money.

Personally, I would go for a food budget based on Swiss prices so that if you manage to save by buying in France that will be a bonus.

You should also be aware that the border can be closed as it was during the height of the pandemic.

Overall, I would suggest that while you would not be overpaid you could manage to live decently albeit without many frills.

Another factor is the future.

Is it of interest to have European experience?  Would you even consider making it your career until retirement?

Lots of food for thought so all the best,

Ritchie

If you plan to buy all your food in France you’ll have to live near the border.  Will this also be convenient for getting to work?  Transport, whether public or private, costs money.

Personally, I would go for a food budget based on Swiss prices so that if you manage to save by buying in France that will be a bonus.

You should also be aware that the border can be closed as it was during the height of the pandemic.

Overall, I would suggest that while you would not be overpaid you could manage to live decently albeit without many frills.

Another factor is the future.

Is it of interest to have European experience?  Would you even consider making it your career until retirement?

Lots of food for thought so all the best,

Ritchie

Ritchie, Sep 29, 2021 @ 17:32
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 7

If possible I would like to become citizen and stay there forever.

Ray Luxembourg, Sep 29, 2021 @ 17:35
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 8

Hi Ray,

I think your calculations are correct, but they're pretty basic and don't take into account some things like transportation, basic necessities (clothes, kids toys etc), French lessons, dentist visits, travel, activities etc.
Also, I think you need to budget a bit more for food and unless you're bringing everything with you, take into account the costs of moving into a new house (furniture, electronics, car, etc).

The bottom line is that 130k is doable for a family of 4, but you're going to need to manage your finances wisely.

If you want to move here permanently and you think you'll be able to progres professionaly and improve your salary with time, then 130k is a great starting salary.
As some people have pointed out, there are many families in Geneva that live on a lot less than 130k per year.

Geneva is an expensive city but there are less expensive options here for almost everything.

What ever you decide, good luck :-)
Oded

Hi Ray,

I think your calculations are correct, but they're pretty basic and don't take into account some things like transportation, basic necessities (clothes, kids toys etc), French lessons, dentist visits, travel, activities etc.
Also, I think you need to budget a bit more for food and unless you're bringing everything with you, take into account the costs of moving into a new house (furniture, electronics, car, etc).

The bottom line is that 130k is doable for a family of 4, but you're going to need to manage your finances wisely.

If you want to move here permanently and you think you'll be able to progres professionaly and improve your salary with time, then 130k is a great starting salary.
As some people have pointed out, there are many families in Geneva that live on a lot less than 130k per year.

Geneva is an expensive city but there are less expensive options here for almost everything.

What ever you decide, good luck :-)
Oded

SiteAdmin Oded, Sep 30, 2021 @ 12:40
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 9

Sep 29, 21 17:35

In that case, why not emulate what millions of others have done:  come to Geneva, work hard and maybe have to tighten your belts for a while, but keep on going, observe local practices and customs, learn the language, save your sous and as soon as you qualify apply for citizenship.

It’s certainly a long haul but you won’t be the first nor the last to find it worth the effort to obtain that coveted passport.

Best wishes, R.

In that case, why not emulate what millions of others have done:  come to Geneva, work hard and maybe have to tighten your belts for a while, but keep on going, observe local practices and customs, learn the language, save your sous and as soon as you qualify apply for citizenship.

It’s certainly a long haul but you won’t be the first nor the last to find it worth the effort to obtain that coveted passport.

Best wishes, R.

Ritchie, Sep 30, 2021 @ 13:07
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 10

Thanks. I have not taken the other stuff into account on purpose to separate the bare minimum I have to pay, then I can understand what I have left and how I am going to utilize it.

We are thinking of renting outside of geneva but not in France since we are non-EU and I talked with HR and they said it's ok to rent in a nearby canton after I get my permit (around 3 months in geneva)

If have 3K after all the mandatory expenses, then I could budget a car/motorcycle and all the things we need to buy in a house + activities later on and a dentist if needed.

Does anyone know if it's possible to take mortgage for Non-EU with a B permit?

We have an apartment in Israel and if possible we want to sell to buy a place near Geneva this would save us money on rent since we will have nice capital to start with.

Thanks. I have not taken the other stuff into account on purpose to separate the bare minimum I have to pay, then I can understand what I have left and how I am going to utilize it.

We are thinking of renting outside of geneva but not in France since we are non-EU and I talked with HR and they said it's ok to rent in a nearby canton after I get my permit (around 3 months in geneva)

If have 3K after all the mandatory expenses, then I could budget a car/motorcycle and all the things we need to buy in a house + activities later on and a dentist if needed.

Does anyone know if it's possible to take mortgage for Non-EU with a B permit?

We have an apartment in Israel and if possible we want to sell to buy a place near Geneva this would save us money on rent since we will have nice capital to start with.

Ray Luxembourg, Sep 30, 2021 @ 13:25
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 11

Please send me a private msg with your mobile no.

Happay to share „SWISS„ moments.

Best of luck.

Please send me a private msg with your mobile no.

Happay to share „SWISS„ moments.

Best of luck.

SWISS, Sep 30, 2021 @ 23:03
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 12

real estate in geneva is super expensive - you need to build good credit with the bank first to qualify for a morgage . you will need a deposit of 200K (minimum for an apartment) to qualify for a mortgage i think . most people here live off rent coz they cant afford it and invest elsewhere as a summer home . this i came to realize - for that money you can invest in dubai or keep your home in israel and rent it out. if you need help in investing in dubai, msg me i work closely with a trustworthy broker with very good return on investment. 

real estate in geneva is super expensive - you need to build good credit with the bank first to qualify for a morgage . you will need a deposit of 200K (minimum for an apartment) to qualify for a mortgage i think . most people here live off rent coz they cant afford it and invest elsewhere as a summer home . this i came to realize - for that money you can invest in dubai or keep your home in israel and rent it out. if you need help in investing in dubai, msg me i work closely with a trustworthy broker with very good return on investment. 

George D, Oct 2, 2021 @ 13:20
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
12 Replies | 2561 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form