Login or Sign Up

Forums in Geneva > Geneva > Foreigner-Friendly Employers in Geneva?

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Foreigner-Friendly Employers in Geneva?
Hello everyone,

I realise that I'm rather new to GOL, but there is a matter in which some of you may be able to assist me - and no, it wouldn't require a lot of your time!

Basically, I am wondering if there are any companies in Geneva that are, so to speak, foreigner-friendly (and, by that, I mean non-EU foreigner-friendly). As many people here may know, finding a job in Switzerland without a work permit is excruciatingly difficult; however, getting a work permit without finding a job is downright impossible. This rather nice catch-22 leaves people like me in a rather unfortunate predicament.

A few words about myself - I'm 22 years old, a citizen of the Republic of Belarus and I recently graduated from Webster University, Geneva. Those of you who have heard about that particular institution may be forgiven for dismissing it as a place where spoilt, rich and stupid kids go to - while this perception is, to an extent, correct, I assure you that I am not one of them. In fact, I have 2,5 years of part-time work experience and had to work as an Admissions Student Assistant to pay for my studies.

I consider myself a rather bright and capable person who would be an asset to any company. Trouble is, I'm currently on a Student B Permit, which does not allow me to work for more than 22 hours a week. As you know, employers in Switzerland are extremely reluctant to arrange for a work permit to a new employee. This is where I need your help - would anyone here happen to know of any companies that are less reluctant to hire non-EU foreigners? Mind you, I'm not asking anyone here to offer me a job or find me one - rather, I'm just looking for general guidance on whether there are any companies that are willing to take care of the paperwork for new employees, provided that the employee in question is worth it (and I am confident that I am).

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated - I would really hate to have to go back to the dictatorship that is my home country (Belarus).

Kind Regards,
George
The text you are quoting:
Hello everyone,

I realise that I'm rather new to GOL, but there is a matter in which some of you may be able to assist me - and no, it wouldn't require a lot of your time!

Basically, I am wondering if there are any companies in Geneva that are, so to speak, foreigner-friendly (and, by that, I mean non-EU foreigner-friendly). As many people here may know, finding a job in Switzerland without a work permit is excruciatingly difficult; however, getting a work permit without finding a job is downright impossible. This rather nice catch-22 leaves people like me in a rather unfortunate predicament.

A few words about myself - I'm 22 years old, a citizen of the Republic of Belarus and I recently graduated from Webster University, Geneva. Those of you who have heard about that particular institution may be forgiven for dismissing it as a place where spoilt, rich and stupid kids go to - while this perception is, to an extent, correct, I assure you that I am not one of them. In fact, I have 2,5 years of part-time work experience and had to work as an Admissions Student Assistant to pay for my studies.

I consider myself a rather bright and capable person who would be an asset to any company. Trouble is, I'm currently on a Student B Permit, which does not allow me to work for more than 22 hours a week. As you know, employers in Switzerland are extremely reluctant to arrange for a work permit to a new employee. This is where I need your help - would anyone here happen to know of any companies that are less reluctant to hire non-EU foreigners? Mind you, I'm not asking anyone here to offer me a job or find me one - rather, I'm just looking for general guidance on whether there are any companies that are willing to take care of the paperwork for new employees, provided that the employee in question is worth it (and I am confident that I am).

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated - I would really hate to have to go back to the dictatorship that is my home country (Belarus).

Kind Regards,
George
George_CApr 6, 2006 @ 02:39
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

19 Replies | 1681 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Foreigner-Friendly Employers in Geneva?
Post 1
hello george,
i know exactly what you mean as i lived that experiance myself when i first came to switzerland over 25 years ago. i was also a student
and limited to 16 hours back then. how i got my permit is a story worth telling. i was teaching english at the migros , night classes. as we all got together after class with the students ( adults) one of them asked me what i wanted to do, return back to the usa or whatever? i explained my work permit problems and he said, come work in our company, we'll find you something, and after we get you your permit, you can do what you please. the idea is that you have to network, like you are doing here. it is not companies that are foreigner friendly, but people.......you never know where that person will be who will offer to help but you have to continue communicating and networking. and by the way, take any job even if it's only 22 hours a week, you never know who you will meet there.
create your luck......it will happen. roger
hello george,
i know exactly what you mean as i lived that experiance myself when i first came to switzerland over 25 years ago. i was also a student
and limited to 16 hours back then. how i got my permit is a story worth telling. i was teaching english at the migros , night classes. as we all got together after class with the students ( adults) one of them asked me what i wanted to do, return back to the usa or whatever? i explained my work permit problems and he said, come work in our company, we'll find you something, and after we get you your permit, you can do what you please. the idea is that you have to network, like you are doing here. it is not companies that are foreigner friendly, but people.......you never know where that person will be who will offer to help but you have to continue communicating and networking. and by the way, take any job even if it's only 22 hours a week, you never know who you will meet there.
create your luck......it will happen. roger
epicure, Apr 6, 2006 @ 12:05
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2
to UN subsidiaries, international banks and work agencies. The latter could maybe find you a temp job to start with.
to UN subsidiaries, international banks and work agencies. The latter could maybe find you a temp job to start with.
Iolly, Apr 6, 2006 @ 12:37
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3
As an American, I too have faced similar problems all over Europe. I actually think Switzerland (and Geneva in particular) is less restrictive than a lot of other countries, especially the UK, where I tried to get a job/work permit for nearly a year before giving up. The UN is one possibility, but take it from someone who has a relevant degree and work experience, if you're under 30, forget it. There are very few low-level positions in the UN and they are always advertised internally before the rest of us find about about them. Unless you're happy to work on short-term consultancy contracts, which my boyfriend did for a year and it almost drove him insane! But even then you have to know someone...it's all about the connections.

My advice is to try NGOs. I work for an NGO and they were happy to apply for a work permit for me, because they have a lot of international staff and are familiar with the system. I think in Geneva there is an understanding between the cantonal authorities and international organisations that leads to a more flexible approach when it comes to work permits. The authorities understand that they need to maintain the international character of Geneva and this translates into granting work permits to NGOs. My organisation has several non-EU staff members and the cantonal authorities have never refused a work permit application (yet!). Of course, the trend now seems to be to give out the dreaded L permit, which is what I have. But hey, it's better than being illegal!

I hope this is helpful and as someone who has gone through the same experience, I'm always happy to help others navigate the system!
As an American, I too have faced similar problems all over Europe. I actually think Switzerland (and Geneva in particular) is less restrictive than a lot of other countries, especially the UK, where I tried to get a job/work permit for nearly a year before giving up. The UN is one possibility, but take it from someone who has a relevant degree and work experience, if you're under 30, forget it. There are very few low-level positions in the UN and they are always advertised internally before the rest of us find about about them. Unless you're happy to work on short-term consultancy contracts, which my boyfriend did for a year and it almost drove him insane! But even then you have to know someone...it's all about the connections.

My advice is to try NGOs. I work for an NGO and they were happy to apply for a work permit for me, because they have a lot of international staff and are familiar with the system. I think in Geneva there is an understanding between the cantonal authorities and international organisations that leads to a more flexible approach when it comes to work permits. The authorities understand that they need to maintain the international character of Geneva and this translates into granting work permits to NGOs. My organisation has several non-EU staff members and the cantonal authorities have never refused a work permit application (yet!). Of course, the trend now seems to be to give out the dreaded L permit, which is what I have. But hey, it's better than being illegal!

I hope this is helpful and as someone who has gone through the same experience, I'm always happy to help others navigate the system!

Luanne, Apr 6, 2006 @ 13:18
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4
But I have to disagree with you. I recently went to a meeting held by the CAGI (Geneva Welcome Centre) which was specifically aimed at alleviating the worries of NGOs and other international organisations in Geneva. There was a representative of the Geneva cantonal authorities there as well as many representatives of NGOs. The government officer (whose job is actually to liaise with NGOs on these matters) stated clearly that Geneva wants to attract international NGOs and also give them incentives to stay here, and part of this is being a bit more flexible with work permits. There is a lot more to this town than the UN and the missions, and the government knows it.
But I have to disagree with you. I recently went to a meeting held by the CAGI (Geneva Welcome Centre) which was specifically aimed at alleviating the worries of NGOs and other international organisations in Geneva. There was a representative of the Geneva cantonal authorities there as well as many representatives of NGOs. The government officer (whose job is actually to liaise with NGOs on these matters) stated clearly that Geneva wants to attract international NGOs and also give them incentives to stay here, and part of this is being a bit more flexible with work permits. There is a lot more to this town than the UN and the missions, and the government knows it.
Luanne, Apr 6, 2006 @ 16:44
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5
Being a holder of an L permit myself, I don't consider it an act of benevolence on the government's part to bestow this upon me. Anyone with an L permit can tell you how impossible it is to do anything in this city without at least a B permit. Regies, banks and mobile phone providers regularly discriminate against people with L permits.
Being a holder of an L permit myself, I don't consider it an act of benevolence on the government's part to bestow this upon me. Anyone with an L permit can tell you how impossible it is to do anything in this city without at least a B permit. Regies, banks and mobile phone providers regularly discriminate against people with L permits.
Luanne, Apr 6, 2006 @ 16:48
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6
never had any problem as an L holder, and i got my apartment, cell phone, and bank account with a frontalier permit. so its not impossible. Personally im quite grateful to Geneva for letting me come here at all.
never had any problem as an L holder, and i got my apartment, cell phone, and bank account with a frontalier permit. so its not impossible. Personally im quite grateful to Geneva for letting me come here at all.
tcfse, Apr 6, 2006 @ 17:25
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 7
I never said the government was just handing out work permits to whoever wants one. I just know from my own experience and those of my colleagues and from this particular government representative that getting a job with an NGO is a relatively good way to get a work permit in Geneva. Whatever the real reason may be, that seems to be the case for every non-EU citizen I know who works for an NGO.

And as for the person with an L permit who managed to overcome all of the barriers I've faced, I'd love to know how you signed a mobile phone contract because I've approached every provider in Switzerland and they've all turned me down, except for, surprise surprise, Swisscom, which just happens to be by far the most expensive. I'm stuck with pay-as-you-go.

My nightmare search for a flat (more than six months long) was characterised by many regies telling me I couldn't even apply for a flat with an L permit. This was even though I had a job with a decent salary and a boyfriend who worked for the UN. Of course I am grateful to even be here with a job, but I am not about to pat the Swiss government on the back for it. I have my organisation to thank for putting in the effort on my behalf.
I never said the government was just handing out work permits to whoever wants one. I just know from my own experience and those of my colleagues and from this particular government representative that getting a job with an NGO is a relatively good way to get a work permit in Geneva. Whatever the real reason may be, that seems to be the case for every non-EU citizen I know who works for an NGO.

And as for the person with an L permit who managed to overcome all of the barriers I've faced, I'd love to know how you signed a mobile phone contract because I've approached every provider in Switzerland and they've all turned me down, except for, surprise surprise, Swisscom, which just happens to be by far the most expensive. I'm stuck with pay-as-you-go.

My nightmare search for a flat (more than six months long) was characterised by many regies telling me I couldn't even apply for a flat with an L permit. This was even though I had a job with a decent salary and a boyfriend who worked for the UN. Of course I am grateful to even be here with a job, but I am not about to pat the Swiss government on the back for it. I have my organisation to thank for putting in the effort on my behalf.
Luanne, Apr 6, 2006 @ 19:35
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 8
I met someone who worked in the Geneva office of a major international news agency and he told me they had nicknamed the L permit, the 'lap-dancing' permit, which I thought was hilarious. Three guesses why...
I met someone who worked in the Geneva office of a major international news agency and he told me they had nicknamed the L permit, the 'lap-dancing' permit, which I thought was hilarious. Three guesses why...
Luanne, Apr 6, 2006 @ 19:48
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 9
I do have an L permit that is valid for 364 days, and I didn't know that meant I was entitled to the rights of a B permit-holder. Funny, someone should tell the regies that!
I do have an L permit that is valid for 364 days, and I didn't know that meant I was entitled to the rights of a B permit-holder. Funny, someone should tell the regies that!
Luanne, Apr 6, 2006 @ 20:16
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 10
yes, an L is a cabaret permit and I waited 4 years to get even that. And i can think of probably half a billion other people in the world who would probably love to have one too...George for example...so how can you complain? we still get to live in a beautiful, healthy, safe, and well run democratic country...its great!
yes, an L is a cabaret permit and I waited 4 years to get even that. And i can think of probably half a billion other people in the world who would probably love to have one too...George for example...so how can you complain? we still get to live in a beautiful, healthy, safe, and well run democratic country...its great!
tcfse, Apr 6, 2006 @ 20:19
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 11
on my own experiences and those of people I know. If you know of people with different experiences, then perhaps there is no way to generalise about this. I was just trying to help someone based on my own experience and of course, they can take it with a grain of salt.
This government official was quite senior and not, as you suggested, a 'paper-pusher'. Besides, if the cantonal authorities didn't care about NGOs, why would they bother to convene a meeting specifically catered to discussing their concerns? I don't think it was the NGOs who called the meeting.
I don't know the ins and outs of the Swiss work permit system completely, but if you go to www.geneve.ch, and my French may be failing me here, it says that work permits are issued by the Office Cantonal de la Population, and the Federal Office only gets involved if necessary.
on my own experiences and those of people I know. If you know of people with different experiences, then perhaps there is no way to generalise about this. I was just trying to help someone based on my own experience and of course, they can take it with a grain of salt.
This government official was quite senior and not, as you suggested, a 'paper-pusher'. Besides, if the cantonal authorities didn't care about NGOs, why would they bother to convene a meeting specifically catered to discussing their concerns? I don't think it was the NGOs who called the meeting.
I don't know the ins and outs of the Swiss work permit system completely, but if you go to www.geneve.ch, and my French may be failing me here, it says that work permits are issued by the Office Cantonal de la Population, and the Federal Office only gets involved if necessary.
Luanne, Apr 6, 2006 @ 20:27
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 12
why I responded to his post in the first place, because I have been there before and wanted to help. I am thankful every day that I live somewhere legally and have a decent job. However, that doesn't mean I have to accept every aspect of the country I live in. Blatant discrimination is not something I think should be applauded. And I'm a white person from a western country, imagine what people from other parts of the world have to face.
why I responded to his post in the first place, because I have been there before and wanted to help. I am thankful every day that I live somewhere legally and have a decent job. However, that doesn't mean I have to accept every aspect of the country I live in. Blatant discrimination is not something I think should be applauded. And I'm a white person from a western country, imagine what people from other parts of the world have to face.
Luanne, Apr 6, 2006 @ 20:40
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 13
Hello,

I would simply like to thank everyone who has contributed to this thread for their feedback - I was very pleasantly surprised by the massive amount of replies that my original question has received within such a short period of time (under 24 hours!)

Up until this point, I never did consider the possibility of working for a NGO, since I assumed that they would be the least likely to issue me with a work permit, given that their budgets are likely to be much more limited than those of IOs and MNCs. I will definitely give NGOs a go - soon as I manage to find a list of those that are present in Geneva, anyway.

So, thank you very much for all your help!

George
Hello,

I would simply like to thank everyone who has contributed to this thread for their feedback - I was very pleasantly surprised by the massive amount of replies that my original question has received within such a short period of time (under 24 hours!)

Up until this point, I never did consider the possibility of working for a NGO, since I assumed that they would be the least likely to issue me with a work permit, given that their budgets are likely to be much more limited than those of IOs and MNCs. I will definitely give NGOs a go - soon as I manage to find a list of those that are present in Geneva, anyway.

So, thank you very much for all your help!

George
George_C, Apr 6, 2006 @ 21:09
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 14
I had an L permit for 2 years already (thou my contract doesn't have a time limit etc etc) and I had quite a few problem. I beleived that a frontalier permit and and a Geneva based L one are not exactly the same one right?

Val
I had an L permit for 2 years already (thou my contract doesn't have a time limit etc etc) and I had quite a few problem. I beleived that a frontalier permit and and a Geneva based L one are not exactly the same one right?

Val
Hoiling, Apr 7, 2006 @ 12:25
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 15
I've had numerious meetings with the NGO rep at CAGI in the context of the foundation of a new agency, with him privately, as well as his predecessor. Shorrick is basically right here, in that the permits come from the Federal "pot".

Your lecture was run by a cantonal fonctionnaire, because the canton hired a NGO-specialist to work in CAGI. But his presence doesn't mean that it is the canton that gives the NGOs its permits. They come from Bern.

It seems to me that the L and B permit issue is out of context here, given that NGOs are supposed to be given B permits. Maybe there has been a trend to issue L permits from the start for new permits - but they would be changed to a B anyways, in time.
I've had numerious meetings with the NGO rep at CAGI in the context of the foundation of a new agency, with him privately, as well as his predecessor. Shorrick is basically right here, in that the permits come from the Federal "pot".

Your lecture was run by a cantonal fonctionnaire, because the canton hired a NGO-specialist to work in CAGI. But his presence doesn't mean that it is the canton that gives the NGOs its permits. They come from Bern.

It seems to me that the L and B permit issue is out of context here, given that NGOs are supposed to be given B permits. Maybe there has been a trend to issue L permits from the start for new permits - but they would be changed to a B anyways, in time.
Jennifer, Apr 15, 2006 @ 03:11
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 16
NGO permits come from a Federal, not a cantonal quota. IO permits (carte diplomatique) come from the Swiss Mission to the UN. But for most general permits, in Geneva, the OCP gives permits.

By the way, in other cantons, the name for the permit-issuing agencies is different (not OCP).
NGO permits come from a Federal, not a cantonal quota. IO permits (carte diplomatique) come from the Swiss Mission to the UN. But for most general permits, in Geneva, the OCP gives permits.

By the way, in other cantons, the name for the permit-issuing agencies is different (not OCP).
Jennifer, Apr 15, 2006 @ 03:15
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 17
The L-permit situation is far better than it used to be. I had an L-permit, the first year they were issued, in 1994, and at that time, they were hugely incapacitating, in that they were nearly impossible to transfer towards a "B" permit - so not only were you stuck with your company, but your company had to start from ground-zero to get you a B, and having the L was actually a negative state from which to apply.

It did get me an apartment, though.
The L-permit situation is far better than it used to be. I had an L-permit, the first year they were issued, in 1994, and at that time, they were hugely incapacitating, in that they were nearly impossible to transfer towards a "B" permit - so not only were you stuck with your company, but your company had to start from ground-zero to get you a B, and having the L was actually a negative state from which to apply.

It did get me an apartment, though.
Jennifer, Apr 15, 2006 @ 03:17
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 18
I am in a similar situation. This is my third L-permit in a row, and they ask me to stay in Geneva for 30 months in total before I can get it upgraded to B.

Having online an L permit made me leave a deposit when I got a mobile contract (luckily after a year they have refunded it), and had to pay my new TV in one time (could not apply for 3-time pay).

Waiting for 6 more months (I hope they don't change regulations by then).
I am in a similar situation. This is my third L-permit in a row, and they ask me to stay in Geneva for 30 months in total before I can get it upgraded to B.

Having online an L permit made me leave a deposit when I got a mobile contract (luckily after a year they have refunded it), and had to pay my new TV in one time (could not apply for 3-time pay).

Waiting for 6 more months (I hope they don't change regulations by then).

kobalt, Apr 23, 2006 @ 14:38
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
19 Replies | 1681 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form