Login or Sign Up

Forums in Geneva > Geneva > Frontalier with Dual US/Swedish citizen but American license...help!

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Frontalier with Dual US/Swedish citizen but American license...help!

Hello, 

So, my situation is a little complicated. 

I am a US citizen, but also have Swedish citizenship through my husband. However, I have not needed to drive in the EU, so never changed my license. I'm still registered as a resident in the US and have an American license. 

To complicate things, I will be a frontalier, working in Geneva, living in France. So, am I even eligible for a Swiss license???

Thanks for any help. Also, were any Americans asked to prove they lived in the US before coming to Spain. 

The text you are quoting:

Hello, 

So, my situation is a little complicated. 

I am a US citizen, but also have Swedish citizenship through my husband. However, I have not needed to drive in the EU, so never changed my license. I'm still registered as a resident in the US and have an American license. 

To complicate things, I will be a frontalier, working in Geneva, living in France. So, am I even eligible for a Swiss license???

Thanks for any help. Also, were any Americans asked to prove they lived in the US before coming to Spain. 

Tracy JFeb 15, 2019 @ 21:50
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

3 Replies | 520 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Frontalier with Dual US/Swedish citizen but American license...help!
Post 1

As you have probably already discovered... 

If you are resident in France, you will need to get a French license. Your US license is only good for one year after you become resident in France.

There are a handful of US states that have a reciprocity agreement with France - if you are lucky and your license is from one of those you need only exchange it. Otherwise the joy of lessons and tests awaits.

As you have probably already discovered... 

If you are resident in France, you will need to get a French license. Your US license is only good for one year after you become resident in France.

There are a handful of US states that have a reciprocity agreement with France - if you are lucky and your license is from one of those you need only exchange it. Otherwise the joy of lessons and tests awaits.

Ault Nathanielsz, Mar 6, 2019 @ 14:57
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

Hi and thanks! Yeah, looks like my state (Florida) you can only switch commercial licenses. So lessons and tests it is! At least I have a year before I have to deal with all that!

Hi and thanks! Yeah, looks like my state (Florida) you can only switch commercial licenses. So lessons and tests it is! At least I have a year before I have to deal with all that!

Tracy J, Mar 6, 2019 @ 15:12
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

Mar 6, 19 15:12

Might be an idea to start learning soon because fees and costs are rising all the time.

Might be an idea to start learning soon because fees and costs are rising all the time.

Ritchie, Mar 6, 2019 @ 15:26
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
3 Replies | 520 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form