Login or Sign Up

Forums in Geneva > Geneva > G-Permit for UK Residents - Any Info?

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
G-Permit for UK Residents - Any Info?

Hello all,

Anyone here a UK resident that has a G-permit for a job in Switzerland? I'm exploring transitioning from C-permit to G-Permit and need to better understand what I'll need to put in place in terms of social security (AVS vs NI) and tax accounting support. I.e., where do I pay what?

Grateful for any contacts, advise, pointing me to any resources.

Thanks!

The text you are quoting:

Hello all,

Anyone here a UK resident that has a G-permit for a job in Switzerland? I'm exploring transitioning from C-permit to G-Permit and need to better understand what I'll need to put in place in terms of social security (AVS vs NI) and tax accounting support. I.e., where do I pay what?

Grateful for any contacts, advise, pointing me to any resources.

Thanks!

Flynn LFeb 13, 2019 @ 19:03
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

1 Replies | 1215 Views      |  Send to friend

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Re: G-Permit for UK Residents - Any Info?
Post 1

Hi Flynn,

I'm not sure if it will help you ... but I used to be a UK resident with G-Permit. I used to work remotely for a Swiss company and now moving to the area (another story :))

So, how it was. My emploeyer is a Swiss payroll company, I'm effectively a contractor but UK's Ltd model is not working here. They applied for AWS and G-permit for me. I also had to come for biometric (still !!!) but due to the COVID it did not happen yet.

They take all CH taxes "at source", as you'd expect. So all is clear from the Swiss TAX side, BUT  ... I'm not sure how the rule of working 3-4 days a week from "Suiss soil" for G-permit works then. I postponed my biometric on a ground of COVID and travel restrictions few times and they were OK with that. Maybe someone can correct me. Anyway, I'm in the area now going to the office and facing other kinds of issues.

Since I'm a UK resident, and UK has an agrement with Switzerland, my accountant takes all these taxes (about 10x different) and translate them into UKs PAYE and NI in GBP. Then it's deducted from UK calculated taxes and you still pay the remaining UK tax on top. Quite a lot actually, really a lot, because you pay less in Switzerland. 

I'm not an expert and I'm not sure if this is the correct setup if you remain to be a UK resident with G-permit, so don't realy on my story (it was COVID time) and seek a professional advice. There are many British accountants in Switzerland.

Any other views?

Cheers

The text you are quoting:

Hi Flynn,

I'm not sure if it will help you ... but I used to be a UK resident with G-Permit. I used to work remotely for a Swiss company and now moving to the area (another story :))

So, how it was. My emploeyer is a Swiss payroll company, I'm effectively a contractor but UK's Ltd model is not working here. They applied for AWS and G-permit for me. I also had to come for biometric (still !!!) but due to the COVID it did not happen yet.

They take all CH taxes "at source", as you'd expect. So all is clear from the Swiss TAX side, BUT  ... I'm not sure how the rule of working 3-4 days a week from "Suiss soil" for G-permit works then. I postponed my biometric on a ground of COVID and travel restrictions few times and they were OK with that. Maybe someone can correct me. Anyway, I'm in the area now going to the office and facing other kinds of issues.

Since I'm a UK resident, and UK has an agrement with Switzerland, my accountant takes all these taxes (about 10x different) and translate them into UKs PAYE and NI in GBP. Then it's deducted from UK calculated taxes and you still pay the remaining UK tax on top. Quite a lot actually, really a lot, because you pay less in Switzerland. 

I'm not an expert and I'm not sure if this is the correct setup if you remain to be a UK resident with G-permit, so don't realy on my story (it was COVID time) and seek a professional advice. There are many British accountants in Switzerland.

Any other views?

Cheers

Mikhail B, Apr 22, 2022 @ 15:24
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin
1 Replies | 1215 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form