Login or Sign Up

Forums in Geneva > Geneva > Geneva: world's 5th most expensive city

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Geneva: world's 5th most expensive city

For the first time in its 30-year history, the Worldwide Cost of Living Survey from The Economist Intelligence Unit gives the title of the world’s most expensive city to three places. Singapore marks its sixth straight year at the top of the rankings, and is joined there by Hong Kong and Paris. The survey, which compares prices across 160 products and services, finds that living costs in all three cities are 7% higher than in New York, the benchmark city. Two Swiss cities, Zurich and Geneva, and Osaka in Japan also have higher prices than New York; Copenhagen and Seoul cost the same as the Big Apple.

The text you are quoting:

For the first time in its 30-year history, the Worldwide Cost of Living Survey from The Economist Intelligence Unit gives the title of the world’s most expensive city to three places. Singapore marks its sixth straight year at the top of the rankings, and is joined there by Hong Kong and Paris. The survey, which compares prices across 160 products and services, finds that living costs in all three cities are 7% higher than in New York, the benchmark city. Two Swiss cities, Zurich and Geneva, and Osaka in Japan also have higher prices than New York; Copenhagen and Seoul cost the same as the Big Apple.

JR MMar 19, 2019 @ 21:29
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

3 Replies | 881 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Geneva: world's 5th most expensive city
Post 1

Interesting to see! 

Just wonder what does it mean for those cities that are not shown? Does it mean they are the 200th afterwards? I am surprised to see no cities from mainland China...

Anyway, Thanks for sharing.

Interesting to see! 

Just wonder what does it mean for those cities that are not shown? Does it mean they are the 200th afterwards? I am surprised to see no cities from mainland China...

Anyway, Thanks for sharing.

Jessica G, Mar 19, 2019 @ 22:18
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

I'm surprised to see Paris as #1 ... is that because the apartments are so small so they are expensive per sq m?

I would have thought Geneva / Zurich would be more expensive.

I'm surprised to see Paris as #1 ... is that because the apartments are so small so they are expensive per sq m?

I would have thought Geneva / Zurich would be more expensive.

Sean C, Mar 19, 2019 @ 23:08
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

The "worldwide cost of living survey" is produced every year by "The Economist" magazine's "Economist Intelligence Unit." They evaluate the cost of 160 items (products and services) in 133 cities around the world, and rank cities according to their score. If you want to see where each of those 133 cities rank, Jessica, go to https://www.eiu.com/topic/worldwide-cost-of-living and download the entire report.

Paris was tied as #1 with Singapore and Hong Kong this year.

To answer your question, Sean, in order to be able to compare cities all around the world, they chose items that are universal, but also products that are found all around the world. This may produce some distortions, because, for example, if you use the price of a McDonald's hamburger (and they do) for comparison, only because you can find them around the world, they may cost more in Paris than in Miami. But the price of your lunch may be lower in Paris if you eat a baguette, or in Hong Kong, if you eat something other than a hamburguer.

The higher cost of living in Zurich and Geneva was attributed to their having "the highest costs when it came to household, personal care, recreation and entertainment expenses."

But I am at a loss to explain why Paris ranks #1. I don't see it when I go there as a visitor, so it must be items like the cost of housing.

The comparison is also affected by exchange rates, and, as you are aware, the swiss franc quite strong. So, while items are more expensive if you buy them with US dollars or UK pounds, if you earn your salary in swiss francs, it does not seem as expensive to you.

The "worldwide cost of living survey" is produced every year by "The Economist" magazine's "Economist Intelligence Unit." They evaluate the cost of 160 items (products and services) in 133 cities around the world, and rank cities according to their score. If you want to see where each of those 133 cities rank, Jessica, go to https://www.eiu.com/topic/worldwide-cost-of-living and download the entire report.

Paris was tied as #1 with Singapore and Hong Kong this year.

To answer your question, Sean, in order to be able to compare cities all around the world, they chose items that are universal, but also products that are found all around the world. This may produce some distortions, because, for example, if you use the price of a McDonald's hamburger (and they do) for comparison, only because you can find them around the world, they may cost more in Paris than in Miami. But the price of your lunch may be lower in Paris if you eat a baguette, or in Hong Kong, if you eat something other than a hamburguer.

The higher cost of living in Zurich and Geneva was attributed to their having "the highest costs when it came to household, personal care, recreation and entertainment expenses."

But I am at a loss to explain why Paris ranks #1. I don't see it when I go there as a visitor, so it must be items like the cost of housing.

The comparison is also affected by exchange rates, and, as you are aware, the swiss franc quite strong. So, while items are more expensive if you buy them with US dollars or UK pounds, if you earn your salary in swiss francs, it does not seem as expensive to you.

JR M, Mar 20, 2019 @ 00:50
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
3 Replies | 881 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form