Login or Sign Up

Forums in Geneva > Geneva > Geneva Heating System

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Geneva Heating System

Does anyone know how the heating system works in Geneva? Looks like it's not as simple as turning the switch on like North America. I have 'panel'' type heaters on my wall with a handle that turns at the button. It's seems like it's not enough to just turn the handles. Does something else have to be switched on? If so where do I find this?

Thanks for everyone's help!

Chantal

The text you are quoting:

Does anyone know how the heating system works in Geneva? Looks like it's not as simple as turning the switch on like North America. I have 'panel'' type heaters on my wall with a handle that turns at the button. It's seems like it's not enough to just turn the handles. Does something else have to be switched on? If so where do I find this?

Thanks for everyone's help!

Chantal

Chantal BSep 12, 2013 @ 18:29
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

13 Replies | 6674 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Geneva Heating System
Post 1

For some people this ranks right up there with apartment hunting and laundry as a Geneva-specific difficulty, especially when you get a sudden cold spell as we have had this week.

Normally the heating for your building will be turned on some time in October,  It will start off at quite low heat and will increase in steps throughout the month to a level that will not be enough for the coldest part of winter.  Very little that you do with the controls in your apartment will make any difference at all.  Neither will complaining to your regie, building owner or caretaker, apparently, as they all consider it to be normal.

If you are lucky, and in a newish building, you may be an exception to this, but you should probably be ready to invest in some additional heating appliances.

For some people this ranks right up there with apartment hunting and laundry as a Geneva-specific difficulty, especially when you get a sudden cold spell as we have had this week.

Normally the heating for your building will be turned on some time in October,  It will start off at quite low heat and will increase in steps throughout the month to a level that will not be enough for the coldest part of winter.  Very little that you do with the controls in your apartment will make any difference at all.  Neither will complaining to your regie, building owner or caretaker, apparently, as they all consider it to be normal.

If you are lucky, and in a newish building, you may be an exception to this, but you should probably be ready to invest in some additional heating appliances.

Andy C, Sep 12, 2013 @ 18:42
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

What Andry describes is one possibility.

You may also simply have to turn the heating on at the thermostat rather than the radiators/heaters. It should be located in a central place on the wall. Simply increase the thermostat to 22 for a start, and see if the radiators warm up. Make sure you open them by turning the handle. Some (digital) thermostats are a bit tricky to operate, but just play around with the buttons and you should be able to figure it out.

If you can't find the thermostat, revert back to Andy's answer. 

What Andry describes is one possibility.

You may also simply have to turn the heating on at the thermostat rather than the radiators/heaters. It should be located in a central place on the wall. Simply increase the thermostat to 22 for a start, and see if the radiators warm up. Make sure you open them by turning the handle. Some (digital) thermostats are a bit tricky to operate, but just play around with the buttons and you should be able to figure it out.

If you can't find the thermostat, revert back to Andy's answer. 

Edward B, Sep 12, 2013 @ 20:12
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

Gents - thank you for the feedback! I wasn't expecting Switzerland to be so behind in matters such as heating and laundry (yes I noticed the laundry dilemma on my second day, geesh these machines). Edward unfortunately there is no thermostat in this apartment so will have to follow Andy's advise. 

Gents - thank you for the feedback! I wasn't expecting Switzerland to be so behind in matters such as heating and laundry (yes I noticed the laundry dilemma on my second day, geesh these machines). Edward unfortunately there is no thermostat in this apartment so will have to follow Andy's advise. 

Chantal B, Sep 12, 2013 @ 21:44
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

Not just Geneva ..  

Here in canton Vaud, back in May we went around each radiator, 16 of them!!  and turned them all off.. Today the missus turned a couple back on and --- well nothing .. The building is still in summer mode. 

Far too soon for heating anyways :)

Not just Geneva ..  

Here in canton Vaud, back in May we went around each radiator, 16 of them!!  and turned them all off.. Today the missus turned a couple back on and --- well nothing .. The building is still in summer mode. 

Far too soon for heating anyways :)

John H, Sep 12, 2013 @ 22:09
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5

Come to France or the UK and you'll see how Geneva's flats are extremely well heated. Never had temperatures below 22 degrees from October to April during 30 years spent in this town. 

Now I'm freezing in Ferney because they have electrical heating which costs a real fortune. 

Plus don't judge the whole Switzerland by just staying in a flat in Geneva. I keep on repeating I love Geneva but it is in no way representative of Switzerland.

Come to France or the UK and you'll see how Geneva's flats are extremely well heated. Never had temperatures below 22 degrees from October to April during 30 years spent in this town. 

Now I'm freezing in Ferney because they have electrical heating which costs a real fortune. 

Plus don't judge the whole Switzerland by just staying in a flat in Geneva. I keep on repeating I love Geneva but it is in no way representative of Switzerland.

Richard B, Sep 12, 2013 @ 22:07
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6

Thank your lucky stars that we are now in the 21 st century and the heating will be switched on when the temperature falls below a certain level which is usually decided by the Régie.

It’s not so long ago that in CH the heating was never switched on before 1 November and then switched off on 31 March whatever the outside temperature.

Be prepared too, if the coming winter is particularly long and severe, for an invoice from the Régie to cover the “extra” fuel costs.  

It’s prudent to have one or two electric heaters in the apartment, especially if you have children or elderly visitors, but using them will up your electricity bill.

Cosy indoor clothing and slippers are also a good investment, preferably purchased before the winter sets in because shops can run out of stock surprisingly quickly.

All the best,

R.

Thank your lucky stars that we are now in the 21 st century and the heating will be switched on when the temperature falls below a certain level which is usually decided by the Régie.

It’s not so long ago that in CH the heating was never switched on before 1 November and then switched off on 31 March whatever the outside temperature.

Be prepared too, if the coming winter is particularly long and severe, for an invoice from the Régie to cover the “extra” fuel costs.  

It’s prudent to have one or two electric heaters in the apartment, especially if you have children or elderly visitors, but using them will up your electricity bill.

Cosy indoor clothing and slippers are also a good investment, preferably purchased before the winter sets in because shops can run out of stock surprisingly quickly.

All the best,

R.

Ritchie, Sep 12, 2013 @ 22:35
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 7
Sounds more like the 18th century. I suppose I was used to living in a free country where I had the ability to decide when to turn on the heater despite outside temperatures. Ha obviously I'm a bit frustrated with this system. Oh the beauties of living abroad. Time to adjust I suppose. I actually lived in Chile for a few years and it's incredible to see how much Switzerland and Chile have in common. 

Thanks for the advise Ritchie.
Sounds more like the 18th century. I suppose I was used to living in a free country where I had the ability to decide when to turn on the heater despite outside temperatures. Ha obviously I'm a bit frustrated with this system. Oh the beauties of living abroad. Time to adjust I suppose. I actually lived in Chile for a few years and it's incredible to see how much Switzerland and Chile have in common. 

Thanks for the advise Ritchie.
Chantal B, Sep 13, 2013 @ 09:54
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 8

Meanwhile in Russia you can enjoy the warmth (24 Celcius) so pack your boxer shorts and T-shirt for a comfortable winter. You have almost unlimited hot water so I enjoyed long hot showers.

For some Russian humour, https://t.me/UkraineHumanRightsAbuses/16692

I am looking forward to going back again end of January.

Skiing in Sochi is on my todo list.

Meanwhile in Russia you can enjoy the warmth (24 Celcius) so pack your boxer shorts and T-shirt for a comfortable winter. You have almost unlimited hot water so I enjoyed long hot showers.

Gerold Rupprecht, Dec 21, 2022 @ 11:56
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 9

Dec 21, 22 11:56

Bravo for an intriguing update of a 9-year-old thread.

Best, R.

Bravo for an intriguing update of a 9-year-old thread.

Best, R.

Ritchie, Dec 21, 2022 @ 14:18
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 10

For the heating, another reason for radiators May not be not functioning very well,  can be  large air bubbles in the heating. system..

One winter, despite the heating being on, one of my radiators were hardly warm. Once someone had come to empty the air, the radiator was warm again.( was free service supplied by the Regie.)

I was thinking to do this myself with a key that can be bought for this reason in hardware stores, but luckily I was warned in time not to do this, as the man who came to do it,  told me that unless a specific key was used with my radiators in my apartment, I would have risked a flood, from the radiator. He also  checked my other radiators as he told me thatone malfunctioning one can affect the others.

Regarding your post, Gerald, would you have another link, as don.‘t have telegram, or failing that, some key words or title of whatever the link is showing,  so can look it up on another platform?

Thanks in advance

For the heating, another reason for radiators May not be not functioning very well,  can be  large air bubbles in the heating. system..

One winter, despite the heating being on, one of my radiators were hardly warm. Once someone had come to empty the air, the radiator was warm again.( was free service supplied by the Regie.)

I was thinking to do this myself with a key that can be bought for this reason in hardware stores, but luckily I was warned in time not to do this, as the man who came to do it,  told me that unless a specific key was used with my radiators in my apartment, I would have risked a flood, from the radiator. He also  checked my other radiators as he told me thatone malfunctioning one can affect the others.

Regarding your post, Gerald, would you have another link, as don.‘t have telegram, or failing that, some key words or title of whatever the link is showing,  so can look it up on another platform?

Thanks in advance

TogJay, Dec 23, 2022 @ 11:33
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 11

Apologies for typos in above post, am on a temporary, temperamental tablet at the moment ..

Apologies for typos in above post, am on a temporary, temperamental tablet at the moment ..

TogJay, Dec 23, 2022 @ 11:35
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 12

Hi TogJay,

You can install for almost any platform from https://telegram.org/

Best wishes,

Gerold

Hi TogJay,

You can install for almost any platform from https://telegram.org/

Best wishes,

Gerold

Gerold Rupprecht, Dec 27, 2022 @ 00:21
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 13

Thanks Gerold for the info.

, I am not particularly interested to install telegram itself, just was asking for key words, title, or subject of the link you provided us with, so I can find the same thing on another platform  - which is almost always the case if you search a bit.

Always ready to source something funny, especially these days!

Thanks Gerold for the info.

, I am not particularly interested to install telegram itself, just was asking for key words, title, or subject of the link you provided us with, so I can find the same thing on another platform  - which is almost always the case if you search a bit.

Always ready to source something funny, especially these days!

TogJay, Dec 28, 2022 @ 10:57
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
13 Replies | 6674 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form