Login or Sign Up

Forums in Geneva > Geneva > Getting married and work permit for my girlfriend

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Getting married and work permit for my girlfriend

Hello Forum,

I've been searching on the internet for quite a while, but couldn't find anything helpful regarding our special case. Hopefully you can give us some advice.

Me and my girlfriend are both non-EU nationals living in Geneva. I have a B permit which is tied to my employer. She works for an international organization on a fixed-term contract and holds a legitiamtion card G. 

We are planning to get married. And we have some speicific questions:

1. What is the procedure to get married in Geneva?

2. What documents are we required to submit?

3. How long does the whole process take?

4. My girlfriend's contract is coming to an end this year. To be able to live with me in Geneva, I believe I need to apply for a "family reunion" visa for her?

5. Will she have to leave Switzerland if the visa is not ready by the time her contract expires? 

6. Are there any requirements/rules for her to get such a visa to be able to continue to live in Switzerland with me?

7. Will she be able to work? How to convert the family reunion visa to a work permit? I supoose it's gonna be a B permit. Will she be able to change employers?

Thanks in advance!

The text you are quoting:

Hello Forum,

I've been searching on the internet for quite a while, but couldn't find anything helpful regarding our special case. Hopefully you can give us some advice.

Me and my girlfriend are both non-EU nationals living in Geneva. I have a B permit which is tied to my employer. She works for an international organization on a fixed-term contract and holds a legitiamtion card G. 

We are planning to get married. And we have some speicific questions:

1. What is the procedure to get married in Geneva?

2. What documents are we required to submit?

3. How long does the whole process take?

4. My girlfriend's contract is coming to an end this year. To be able to live with me in Geneva, I believe I need to apply for a "family reunion" visa for her?

5. Will she have to leave Switzerland if the visa is not ready by the time her contract expires? 

6. Are there any requirements/rules for her to get such a visa to be able to continue to live in Switzerland with me?

7. Will she be able to work? How to convert the family reunion visa to a work permit? I supoose it's gonna be a B permit. Will she be able to change employers?

Thanks in advance!

Yan LFeb 17, 2019 @ 19:34
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

9 Replies | 647 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Getting married and work permit for my girlfriend
Post 1

Probably depends a lot of your work situation and your home country.

Probably depends a lot of your work situation and your home country.

Sean C, Feb 17, 2019 @ 20:28
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

In view of the several issues to be resolved, I suggest that you go to the Office cantonal de la Population early one morning.  Be sure to note the time and date of your visit, and, if possible, the name of the official who answers your questions.

Also you will certainly be asked at some point to provide copies of birth certificates and similar documenting, so make photocopies, just in case anything gets lost causing the whole process to be delayed.

All the very best,

Ritchie

In view of the several issues to be resolved, I suggest that you go to the Office cantonal de la Population early one morning.  Be sure to note the time and date of your visit, and, if possible, the name of the official who answers your questions.

Also you will certainly be asked at some point to provide copies of birth certificates and similar documenting, so make photocopies, just in case anything gets lost causing the whole process to be delayed.

All the very best,

Ritchie

Ritchie, Feb 17, 2019 @ 22:22
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

Go to the mairie at the commune where you live for the questions of what to be required of getting married. They will explain you the whole process depening on the personal situation of you two. (Nationalities, etc...)

Go to the mairie at the commune where you live for the questions of what to be required of getting married. They will explain you the whole process depening on the personal situation of you two. (Nationalities, etc...)

Jessica G, Feb 17, 2019 @ 22:36
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

Hello! I am in a similar situation with a B permit tied to my employer and my fiance has a CDL. 

Do you have any insight on the permit situation after getting married? Would really appreciate it! Thanks. 

Hello! I am in a similar situation with a B permit tied to my employer and my fiance has a CDL. 

Do you have any insight on the permit situation after getting married? Would really appreciate it! Thanks. 

Hannah E, Jan 7, 2021 @ 09:37
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5

I would say that the best thing to do may be to read again the three posts above you.

I would say that the best thing to do may be to read again the three posts above you.

TogJay, Jan 7, 2021 @ 11:36
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6

I think you should go to your local Mairie to find out what you have to do and prepare before you registering your wish to be married.

Providing a missing but necessary document after the event can cost both time as well as money.

Also, your fiancée should check the procedure with her HR department just in case proof of her work contract, etc., is required.

That said, all the very best for your future health and happiness,

Ritchie

I think you should go to your local Mairie to find out what you have to do and prepare before you registering your wish to be married.

Providing a missing but necessary document after the event can cost both time as well as money.

Also, your fiancée should check the procedure with her HR department just in case proof of her work contract, etc., is required.

That said, all the very best for your future health and happiness,

Ritchie

Ritchie, Jan 7, 2021 @ 13:25
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 7

Thank you for the replies! We already have all the documents to get married, no issues there. 

My question is more about what can happen with the permits after the fact.  I have a B permit tied to my employer and my fiance has a CDL. His contract will expire after we get married so I am wondering if I will be able to have him on my B permit. 

thanks!

Thank you for the replies! We already have all the documents to get married, no issues there. 

My question is more about what can happen with the permits after the fact.  I have a B permit tied to my employer and my fiance has a CDL. His contract will expire after we get married so I am wondering if I will be able to have him on my B permit. 

thanks!

Hannah E, Jan 7, 2021 @ 13:52
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 8

thanks!

Jan 7, 21 13:52

In that case, I imagine you need to ask the Cantonal Office de la Population.

But perhaps not take any concrete action until his CdL expires, just in case he receives an extension or another contract.

In that case, I imagine you need to ask the Cantonal Office de la Population.

But perhaps not take any concrete action until his CdL expires, just in case he receives an extension or another contract.

Ritchie, Jan 7, 2021 @ 14:18
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 9

First of all, congratulations on your upcoming marriage!

I think Ritchie is giving you some very good advice: you should check with those who have made it possible for you to get your permits, and after that, check with the cantonal authorities who will handle your request for a change in status.

If you want to be covered by your future husband's CDL for any remaining length of time (something that has inmense advantages) his HR department would be my first stop. As for the longer term, if you depart from the only known fact - that you will have a B permit-, it all depends on the specifics, and you would do well to talk to the appropriate office in your school, the Graduate Institute.

B permits are a broad category. Yes, it will cover your spouse if your entitlement stems from your employment, and it will also cover him if you are a student from the EU, and I see you are from the US. So the point of departure is that, as a student, you would not be able to cover your spouse under the family reunification program.

However, "...there are some very limited exceptions; if you are a doctoral student, visiting professor, post-doctorate, or academic, you may be able to bring your family to Switzerland."

So, to get a definite answer, go to those who are both familiar with all the specifics of your situation, and who have experience with immigration matters as they apply to foreign students, that is, someone at the Graduate Institute. They are also the ones most likely to be interested in your well-being. Then, armed with their advice, request advice from the cantonal authorities.

My guess, and it is only a guess, is that graduate students in development at the Graduate Institute, are looked upon favorably in Geneva, so you will probably do fine.

Now, do I get an invitation to the wedding ? Laughing

First of all, congratulations on your upcoming marriage!

I think Ritchie is giving you some very good advice: you should check with those who have made it possible for you to get your permits, and after that, check with the cantonal authorities who will handle your request for a change in status.

If you want to be covered by your future husband's CDL for any remaining length of time (something that has inmense advantages) his HR department would be my first stop. As for the longer term, if you depart from the only known fact - that you will have a B permit-, it all depends on the specifics, and you would do well to talk to the appropriate office in your school, the Graduate Institute.

B permits are a broad category. Yes, it will cover your spouse if your entitlement stems from your employment, and it will also cover him if you are a student from the EU, and I see you are from the US. So the point of departure is that, as a student, you would not be able to cover your spouse under the family reunification program.

However, "...there are some very limited exceptions; if you are a doctoral student, visiting professor, post-doctorate, or academic, you may be able to bring your family to Switzerland."

So, to get a definite answer, go to those who are both familiar with all the specifics of your situation, and who have experience with immigration matters as they apply to foreign students, that is, someone at the Graduate Institute. They are also the ones most likely to be interested in your well-being. Then, armed with their advice, request advice from the cantonal authorities.

My guess, and it is only a guess, is that graduate students in development at the Graduate Institute, are looked upon favorably in Geneva, so you will probably do fine.

Now, do I get an invitation to the wedding ? Laughing

JR M, Jan 8, 2021 @ 21:08
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
9 Replies | 647 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form