Login or Sign Up

Forums in Geneva > Geneva > Gluten free eating options

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Gluten free eating options

Hi all, I have a coeliac friend visiting (someone who can't eat gluten) and I'd like to share with them the many delicious wheat-filled cuisine options available here including proper croissants, baguettes, patiesserie cakes etc. Does anyone know of any great cafes/restaurants/boulangeries that offer gluten free options? Many thanks!

The text you are quoting:

Hi all, I have a coeliac friend visiting (someone who can't eat gluten) and I'd like to share with them the many delicious wheat-filled cuisine options available here including proper croissants, baguettes, patiesserie cakes etc. Does anyone know of any great cafes/restaurants/boulangeries that offer gluten free options? Many thanks!

Alistair CowanAug 9, 2022 @ 17:39
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

9 Replies | 1808 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Gluten free eating options
Post 1

I know that a pharmacy in the Plainpalais Centre Commercial Rue de Carouge offers gluten free. Then you will find it also a lot of meals in a big Migros, ex. M-Parc and Coop I guess. No idea about restaurants, but I hope it helps.

I know that a pharmacy in the Plainpalais Centre Commercial Rue de Carouge offers gluten free. Then you will find it also a lot of meals in a big Migros, ex. M-Parc and Coop I guess. No idea about restaurants, but I hope it helps.

Kris R, Aug 9, 2022 @ 20:05
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

I have been to Alive restaurant and it was quite excellent 

located at RUE DES BARQUES 2
1207 GENEVA
SWITZERLAND

The Google reviews are great too 

I have been to Alive restaurant and it was quite excellent 

located at RUE DES BARQUES 2
1207 GENEVA
SWITZERLAND

The Google reviews are great too 

Timothy S, Aug 10, 2022 @ 09:01
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

Pizza Leggera in Geneva and Nyon offers Gluten Free pizza

http://pizzaleggera.ch/

Pizza Leggera in Geneva and Nyon offers Gluten Free pizza

http://pizzaleggera.ch/

xaviero, Aug 11, 2022 @ 11:42
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

The resturant "Jardin de Crepes" in Planpalais has the savory crepes (galettes) which are made of sarrasin (buckwheat) and they are gluten free. You can also find this in other places where they serve crepes. Galettes de Sarrasin are a delicacy from western France and they are delicious. 

My partner is allergic to gluten, so I know some of these tricks. Mainly: stick to grilled meats and fish, remember to say "no croutons or bread" when ordering salads, and do not assume that people know what gluten is. I often explain: "no wheat flour at all", and that helps. Remember that soy sauce has gluten, unless it says gluten-free in the bottle (so careful with sushi and many asian dishes). 

As mentioned by others, in supermarkets and pharmacies (?) they have bread, pasta, cookies, etc. Sun Store pharmacies have a good selection. For gluten-free pasta the best brand is DeCecco, which I think can be found in Coop. Neighboring France also has a good selection (Bio Stores and large supermarkets). 

If I think of anything else I'll write here, as it can be useful for others. 

The resturant "Jardin de Crepes" in Planpalais has the savory crepes (galettes) which are made of sarrasin (buckwheat) and they are gluten free. You can also find this in other places where they serve crepes. Galettes de Sarrasin are a delicacy from western France and they are delicious. 

My partner is allergic to gluten, so I know some of these tricks. Mainly: stick to grilled meats and fish, remember to say "no croutons or bread" when ordering salads, and do not assume that people know what gluten is. I often explain: "no wheat flour at all", and that helps. Remember that soy sauce has gluten, unless it says gluten-free in the bottle (so careful with sushi and many asian dishes). 

As mentioned by others, in supermarkets and pharmacies (?) they have bread, pasta, cookies, etc. Sun Store pharmacies have a good selection. For gluten-free pasta the best brand is DeCecco, which I think can be found in Coop. Neighboring France also has a good selection (Bio Stores and large supermarkets). 

If I think of anything else I'll write here, as it can be useful for others. 

xaviero, Aug 11, 2022 @ 16:20
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5

Hey :)

I just want to mention that if your friend does not eat gluten, you have to avoid everything that is wheat-based because wheat contains gluten and unfortunately most of the traditional French pastries do contain it too (I'm French and I do not eat gluten). Just be careful with that because it can be tricky.

It's quite difficult to find gluten-free option in restaurants but you you friend can  always try nice salads, fish-based meals or some delicious meat. 

Hey :)

I just want to mention that if your friend does not eat gluten, you have to avoid everything that is wheat-based because wheat contains gluten and unfortunately most of the traditional French pastries do contain it too (I'm French and I do not eat gluten). Just be careful with that because it can be tricky.

It's quite difficult to find gluten-free option in restaurants but you you friend can  always try nice salads, fish-based meals or some delicious meat. 

Cindy D, Aug 16, 2022 @ 12:21
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6

Your friend*

Your friend*

Cindy D, Aug 16, 2022 @ 12:23
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 7

Ou Bien Encore in Plainpalais/Jonction area has a mostly gluten-free menu: https://oubienencore.ch/

I don't think that you'll have much luck finding gluten-free baked goods baked fresh - gluten-free croissants, baguettes, etc. haven't quite caught on yet from what I've seen.

Ou Bien Encore in Plainpalais/Jonction area has a mostly gluten-free menu: https://oubienencore.ch/

I don't think that you'll have much luck finding gluten-free baked goods baked fresh - gluten-free croissants, baguettes, etc. haven't quite caught on yet from what I've seen.

Viki L, Aug 16, 2022 @ 18:16
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 8

What about baking it yourself? Wink You can buy free gluten flour in a pharmacy in Centre Plainpalais. I used to bake myself bread with different spiecies, pancakes and cakes,most of them very easy to do.

What about baking it yourself? Wink You can buy free gluten flour in a pharmacy in Centre Plainpalais. I used to bake myself bread with different spiecies, pancakes and cakes,most of them very easy to do.

Kris R, Aug 20, 2022 @ 21:45
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 9

The Guillaume Bichet bakery has a couple of gluten free options - A raspberry macaron tart and black forest cake - both are delicious

Guillaume Bichet I Artisan chocolatier et pâtissier I Genève (guillaume-bichet.ch)

The Guillaume Bichet bakery has a couple of gluten free options - A raspberry macaron tart and black forest cake - both are delicious

Guillaume Bichet I Artisan chocolatier et pâtissier I Genève (guillaume-bichet.ch)

cliff h, Aug 22, 2022 @ 16:48
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
9 Replies | 1808 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form