Login or Sign Up

Forums in Geneva > Geneva > Health Insurance

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Health Insurance

Dear all,

I have moved to Geneva to live and work three months ago and will be here for another 7months and might get a permanent job contract after. I am wondering if my European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) from the Czech Rep is eligible here? Any Europeans around here?

The text you are quoting:

Dear all,

I have moved to Geneva to live and work three months ago and will be here for another 7months and might get a permanent job contract after. I am wondering if my European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) from the Czech Rep is eligible here? Any Europeans around here?

Sofia NOct 27, 2017 @ 14:39
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

9 Replies | 1906 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Health Insurance
Post 1

Hi Sofia,

If you have a permit and you will not be working for a U.N. or other recognised International Organisation that runs their own insurance plan - you will need the obligatory Swiss health insurance.  You should check with your employer what your status is.

After three months or so the Service d'Assurance Maladie (SAM) will sign you up with a provider of their choosing - which will not always be the cheapest.  It is usually better that you choose your own provider.

See:

https://www.bag.admin.ch/bag/en/home/themen/versicherungen/krankenversicherung/krankenversicherung-versicherte-mit-wohnsitz-im-ausland/versicherungspflicht/kurzarbeitende-ch.html

All the best.

Niall

Hi Sofia,

If you have a permit and you will not be working for a U.N. or other recognised International Organisation that runs their own insurance plan - you will need the obligatory Swiss health insurance.  You should check with your employer what your status is.

After three months or so the Service d'Assurance Maladie (SAM) will sign you up with a provider of their choosing - which will not always be the cheapest.  It is usually better that you choose your own provider.

See:

https://www.bag.admin.ch/bag/en/home/themen/versicherungen/krankenversicherung/krankenversicherung-versicherte-mit-wohnsitz-im-ausland/versicherungspflicht/kurzarbeitende-ch.html

All the best.

Niall

nmcp, Oct 28, 2017 @ 11:13
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

Get yourself a health insurance asap and send the certificate to SAM (the medical people)

Otherwise you'll run in to a lot of problems like I did, cost me close to 10K

Get yourself a health insurance asap and send the certificate to SAM (the medical people)

Otherwise you'll run in to a lot of problems like I did, cost me close to 10K

Omar H, Oct 29, 2017 @ 20:41
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

Hi there, I'd really appreciate if you could help be in this topic:

I moved to GVA on the 1st of June. I'm looking for an "assurance maladie" and at a Company we were told that we had to pay the prime since our arrival (From 1st June).

Is it a common practice? Wouldn't be normal to pay only since the moment we take the insurance?

P.S.: Besides that I already had to use my country's insurance in a personal accident I had since our arrival, without having the "help" of any Swiss Health Insurance.

Thanks in advance,

David

I moved to GVA on the 1st of June. I'm looking for an "assurance maladie" and at a Company we were told that we had to pay the prime since our arrival (From 1st June).

Is it a common practice? Wouldn't be normal to pay only since the moment we take the insurance?

P.S.: Besides that I already had to use my country's insurance in a personal accident I had since our arrival, without having the "help" of any Swiss Health Insurance.

Thanks in advance,

David

David F, Aug 30, 2018 @ 15:48
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

Correct. Assurance maladie is compulsory during residence in Swiss. Separated into accident and health. Accident legally paid by employer if there is one, otherwise by the insured. 

Premiums can be compared on the federal website here:

https://www.priminfo.admin.ch/fr/praemien

Expect minimum, absolute minimum of 320 chf +/- per adult per month.

Correct. Assurance maladie is compulsory during residence in Swiss. Separated into accident and health. Accident legally paid by employer if there is one, otherwise by the insured. 

Premiums can be compared on the federal website here:

https://www.priminfo.admin.ch/fr/praemien

Expect minimum, absolute minimum of 320 chf +/- per adult per month.

Rade, Aug 30, 2018 @ 16:02
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5

Rade is correct.

Health Insurance is obligatory from arrival.  The link that Rade provided is an excellent comparative tool provided by the Swiss Federal authorities.  They will not try to sell you anything.

You probably need to act reasonably quickly, otherwise the authorities will affiliate you to one of the Health Insurances automatically.

Rade is correct.

Health Insurance is obligatory from arrival.  The link that Rade provided is an excellent comparative tool provided by the Swiss Federal authorities.  They will not try to sell you anything.

You probably need to act reasonably quickly, otherwise the authorities will affiliate you to one of the Health Insurances automatically.

nmcp, Aug 30, 2018 @ 16:41
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6

Rade is correct.

Aug 30, 18 16:41

As mmcp has said, health insurance is obligatory from the date of your arrival and I would urge that you find a provider and sign a contract as quickly as possible to avoid being penalized for not having taken out insurance earlier.

Best, R.

As mmcp has said, health insurance is obligatory from the date of your arrival and I would urge that you find a provider and sign a contract as quickly as possible to avoid being penalized for not having taken out insurance earlier.

Best, R.

Ritchie, Aug 30, 2018 @ 16:58
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 7

Thanks in advance,

David

Aug 30, 18 15:48

hello David we can help you, we are a company and we are working with all the insurrance.

Contact me we can arrange you the best insurrance with the best price.

0041 79 383 12 57

hello David we can help you, we are a company and we are working with all the insurrance.

Contact me we can arrange you the best insurrance with the best price.

0041 79 383 12 57

anthony b, Sep 17, 2018 @ 14:57
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 8

this is all great but what happens if you are not living in switzerland but your contract is here... I don't seem to be able to find anything (in English) - its quite a complicated subject and my french itlaian and german just aren't up to it!

does anyone have any experience?  I'm only here for a couple of months and am thinking I might just have to leave the contract early if I can't find any information as I don' twant to pay for a whole year's insurance when I'm only here for 4 months!

this is all great but what happens if you are not living in switzerland but your contract is here... I don't seem to be able to find anything (in English) - its quite a complicated subject and my french itlaian and german just aren't up to it!

does anyone have any experience?  I'm only here for a couple of months and am thinking I might just have to leave the contract early if I can't find any information as I don' twant to pay for a whole year's insurance when I'm only here for 4 months!

cath k, Oct 18, 2018 @ 12:00
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 9

Oct 18, 18 12:00

Hi Cath,

Normally the HR of the Swiss business employing you should take care of it.

Otherwise your UK issues EHIC should be fine for your short-term contract:

https://www.nhs.uk/using-the-nhs/healthcare-abroad/apply-for-a-free-ehic-european-health-insurance-card/

Good luck!

Slava

Hi Cath,

Normally the HR of the Swiss business employing you should take care of it.

Otherwise your UK issues EHIC should be fine for your short-term contract:

https://www.nhs.uk/using-the-nhs/healthcare-abroad/apply-for-a-free-ehic-european-health-insurance-card/

Good luck!

Slava

Slava Sviridovs, Oct 19, 2018 @ 13:56
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
9 Replies | 1906 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form