Login or Sign Up

Forums in Geneva > Geneva > Hiking up the Saleve?

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Hiking up the Saleve?

Anybody knows if it's possible to go up the Saleve from Geneva in April 2020?

Are there border controls preventing you from doing so?

If yes, do you have any tips for hidden trails where you could cross the border on foot and do some hikes in France?

Thanks.

P.S. This is just to keep my sanity during these encaged times.

Cheers--

The text you are quoting:

If yes, do you have any tips for hidden trails where you could cross the border on foot and do some hikes in France?

Thanks.

Cheers--

klabaApr 6, 2020 @ 10:45
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

21 Replies | 2143 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Hiking up the Saleve?
Post 1

Unfortunately, this is not allowed, and I suggest you folow the laws, instead of asking for help to break them.

I would also like to go hiking, but in France, you cannot go more than 1km from your house, and for max 1hr/day.

If you are in Switzerland, why don you go hiking where it's allowed?

Unfortunately, this is not allowed, and I suggest you folow the laws, instead of asking for help to break them.

I would also like to go hiking, but in France, you cannot go more than 1km from your house, and for max 1hr/day.

If you are in Switzerland, why don you go hiking where it's allowed?

tawb, Apr 6, 2020 @ 11:45
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

Thanks - that's why I am only asking - I didn't know.

Thanks - that's why I am only asking - I didn't know.

klaba, Apr 6, 2020 @ 11:50
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

Concerning the borders, Just recieved the following exchange from some friends. According to this, it seems best to stay at home.

- Concernant les passages de douane.. : quel de choc de voir mon passage habituel, au rond-point des Anneaux - réserve naturelle de Mategnin, transformé en check-point Charlie gardé par deux militaires côtés suisse !
Même si cela peut se justifier au nom de la crise sanitaire actuelle, cela heurte sans aucun doute notre vision du Grand Genève..!

Concerning the borders, Just recieved the following exchange from some friends. According to this, it seems best to stay at home.

- Concernant les passages de douane.. : quel de choc de voir mon passage habituel, au rond-point des Anneaux - réserve naturelle de Mategnin, transformé en check-point Charlie gardé par deux militaires côtés suisse !
Même si cela peut se justifier au nom de la crise sanitaire actuelle, cela heurte sans aucun doute notre vision du Grand Genève..!

tawb, Apr 6, 2020 @ 12:29
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

Hi Klaba! 

According to the latest scientific researches, there are many hiking opportunities within the Swiss territory and the air is almost as pure as on Salève.

Have a nice week,

Hi Klaba! 

According to the latest scientific researches, there are many hiking opportunities within the Swiss territory and the air is almost as pure as on Salève.

Have a nice week,

Alexandre P, Apr 6, 2020 @ 14:25
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5

I live in Ornex, France, by the border with Switzerland. There is no physical borders in the area with fields and woods just next to where we live. My daughter and I went for a short walk on the paths with our dog, within the prescribed 1 km radius.

The path we were using hugs the border and there are no markings. At one point, where the path turns to the right, in the direction of our home, there was a block where the path turns right, and I realized we were inadvertently just a meter or two into Switzerland. So we went around the block and were walking in the direction of home, inside French territory. Three Swiss uniformed agents who were hidding came up and asked for our IDs. At that point we were in fact inside France. But one took our IDs and grabbed me to their patrol car, 50 meters away and in Swiss territory, leaving my 10 year old daughter alone and in a panic, exposing me, since they had no masks or gloves, touched my phone, and gave me a 200 francs amende.

When I protested their behavior, their putting me at risk of contagion by not respecting the 2 meter rule, touching my IDs and phones, one of them told me that I could decontaminate myself when I got home, did not care about my daughter and told me I will never be able to work in Switzerland again and would be in for a surprise when I try to cross the border at the douane. I checked and indeed, the Covid-19 ordinance passed recently,  authorizes them to refuse future entries into the country.

Given where we were, a man, a child and a small dog in the open fields, the direction we were walking in, and our address, there is no way to interpret our behavior as putting anyone at risk or trying to "enter" Switzerland. I was even carrying our masks, but had put them off as there were no people.

Lovely behavior in times of a pandemic.

And you are asking for hidden trails where you can deliberately cross the border, if there are indeed border controls?

"Are there border controls preventing you from doing so?  If yes, do you have any tips for hidden trails where you could cross the border on foot and do some hikes in France?"

I live in Ornex, France, by the border with Switzerland. There is no physical borders in the area with fields and woods just next to where we live. My daughter and I went for a short walk on the paths with our dog, within the prescribed 1 km radius.

The path we were using hugs the border and there are no markings. At one point, where the path turns to the right, in the direction of our home, there was a block where the path turns right, and I realized we were inadvertently just a meter or two into Switzerland. So we went around the block and were walking in the direction of home, inside French territory. Three Swiss uniformed agents who were hidding came up and asked for our IDs. At that point we were in fact inside France. But one took our IDs and grabbed me to their patrol car, 50 meters away and in Swiss territory, leaving my 10 year old daughter alone and in a panic, exposing me, since they had no masks or gloves, touched my phone, and gave me a 200 francs amende.

When I protested their behavior, their putting me at risk of contagion by not respecting the 2 meter rule, touching my IDs and phones, one of them told me that I could decontaminate myself when I got home, did not care about my daughter and told me I will never be able to work in Switzerland again and would be in for a surprise when I try to cross the border at the douane. I checked and indeed, the Covid-19 ordinance passed recently,  authorizes them to refuse future entries into the country.

Given where we were, a man, a child and a small dog in the open fields, the direction we were walking in, and our address, there is no way to interpret our behavior as putting anyone at risk or trying to "enter" Switzerland. I was even carrying our masks, but had put them off as there were no people.

Lovely behavior in times of a pandemic.

And you are asking for hidden trails where you can deliberately cross the border, if there are indeed border controls?

"Are there border controls preventing you from doing so?  If yes, do you have any tips for hidden trails where you could cross the border on foot and do some hikes in France?"

JR M, Apr 6, 2020 @ 14:58
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6

JR, Sorry about your experience. It shows how crazy things have become.

However, sorry to say that in any case, you were illegal, it is now prhibited to walk in the forest, even 1km from your house. I don't know where this comes from. I wonder if theyé afraid that people will form illegal gatherings in the forest, where it's easy to hide.

JR, Sorry about your experience. It shows how crazy things have become.

However, sorry to say that in any case, you were illegal, it is now prhibited to walk in the forest, even 1km from your house. I don't know where this comes from. I wonder if theyé afraid that people will form illegal gatherings in the forest, where it's easy to hide.

tawb, Apr 6, 2020 @ 15:50
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 7

Thanks, Tawb. If that is the case, although I don't know if a chemin forestier includes a path on an open field, if I had been stopped by a French gendarme, given what you just sent me, I would understand. We actually ran into a French gendarme, his wife and kid and their dog, while we were on the path. His daughter Sabrina, is my daughter's school mate. He works for the Ornex gendarmerie. We, of course, did not stop to talk, but just waved at each other.

Thanks, Tawb. If that is the case, although I don't know if a chemin forestier includes a path on an open field, if I had been stopped by a French gendarme, given what you just sent me, I would understand. We actually ran into a French gendarme, his wife and kid and their dog, while we were on the path. His daughter Sabrina, is my daughter's school mate. He works for the Ornex gendarmerie. We, of course, did not stop to talk, but just waved at each other.

JR M, Apr 6, 2020 @ 16:06
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 8

I just called and checked with my friend the French gendarme, and he says the path where we (and him) were walking is ok and not out of bounds under the Ornex ordenance.

The problem, however, was with the Swiss gendarmes, who legally really had no business once I was in French territory, and given the circumstances under which I found myself ephimerally on the other side of the only one visible barrier, they logically had no justification. But under no circumstance, were they justified in putting my health at risk by breaking the social distancing norms, which is the reason for the swiss ordinance, or in scaring my daughter with their attitude. She thought they were going to take me away in their patrol car and leave her alone there.

Having worked for 7 years at an organization that fights 3 global epidemics and having worked in the global response to H1N1 in 2009, I am very clear of what we are dealing with, and I have followed all the directives.

THERE WAS NO JUSTIFICATION FOR THE HEAVY HANDEDNESS OF THE SWISS BORDER GUARDS. NONE!

I just called and checked with my friend the French gendarme, and he says the path where we (and him) were walking is ok and not out of bounds under the Ornex ordenance.

The problem, however, was with the Swiss gendarmes, who legally really had no business once I was in French territory, and given the circumstances under which I found myself ephimerally on the other side of the only one visible barrier, they logically had no justification. But under no circumstance, were they justified in putting my health at risk by breaking the social distancing norms, which is the reason for the swiss ordinance, or in scaring my daughter with their attitude. She thought they were going to take me away in their patrol car and leave her alone there.

Having worked for 7 years at an organization that fights 3 global epidemics and having worked in the global response to H1N1 in 2009, I am very clear of what we are dealing with, and I have followed all the directives.

THERE WAS NO JUSTIFICATION FOR THE HEAVY HANDEDNESS OF THE SWISS BORDER GUARDS. NONE!

JR M, Apr 6, 2020 @ 16:23
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 9

Thanks.

Cheers--

Apr 6, 20 10:45

I would tend to agree with Tawb,  If you must go hiking then there are no restrictions in Switzerland - 65'000 km of marked trails, 360 km in the canton of Geneva.  Having explored the whole of the canton of Geneva I know all the unmarkede trails and places where there are no trails where you can cross into France but why bother?   Movement in France is restricted, so where are you gouing to go?  Being over 65 I am i self-imposed isolation, not even wlaking cyling in Geneva because I do not want to have a minor accident, (slip or fall of my bicycle) and tie up the emergency services unnescessarily).

I have an authorisation from the Etat de Geneve which allows me access to all marked trails using car or other means of transport but (if I were not self isolating) I would be wary of passing into France even for a few metres and might even those marked trails which follow the border which in most places is clearly marked 

I would tend to agree with Tawb,  If you must go hiking then there are no restrictions in Switzerland - 65'000 km of marked trails, 360 km in the canton of Geneva.  Having explored the whole of the canton of Geneva I know all the unmarkede trails and places where there are no trails where you can cross into France but why bother?   Movement in France is restricted, so where are you gouing to go?  Being over 65 I am i self-imposed isolation, not even wlaking cyling in Geneva because I do not want to have a minor accident, (slip or fall of my bicycle) and tie up the emergency services unnescessarily).

I have an authorisation from the Etat de Geneve which allows me access to all marked trails using car or other means of transport but (if I were not self isolating) I would be wary of passing into France even for a few metres and might even those marked trails which follow the border which in most places is clearly marked 

Paul E, Apr 8, 2020 @ 15:01
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 10

They do appear to have been heavy handed but we do not know why.  Had they just had to deal with a bunch of idiots partying. Weree they nervous because they were having to deal with someone possibly trying to enter or leave Switzerland illegally (we do not know what they actually saw); were they pi...ed off at having to approach somebody who might be a carrier. Contamination works both ways.  Their statements about not being able to visit Switzerland anymore seem a bit strange - are we missing something? or was this just a threat to make sure it did not happen again? 

They do appear to have been heavy handed but we do not know why.  Had they just had to deal with a bunch of idiots partying. Weree they nervous because they were having to deal with someone possibly trying to enter or leave Switzerland illegally (we do not know what they actually saw); were they pi...ed off at having to approach somebody who might be a carrier. Contamination works both ways.  Their statements about not being able to visit Switzerland anymore seem a bit strange - are we missing something? or was this just a threat to make sure it did not happen again? 

Paul E, Apr 8, 2020 @ 16:07
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 11

To klabava:

I agree with Paul’s sentiments in Post No. 9 and would like to ask what is so compelling  about trails in  neighbouring France when you have not only much of Switzerland’s best hiking territory within easy and economical reach – a territory that, in normal times, is much frequented by visitors from all over the world and all walks of life.

So if you don’t yet know the Genevan and other Swiss trails, why not seize this opportunity while the going is good because the Swiss authorities could still decide to impose a ban.

R.

To klabava:

I agree with Paul’s sentiments in Post No. 9 and would like to ask what is so compelling  about trails in  neighbouring France when you have not only much of Switzerland’s best hiking territory within easy and economical reach – a territory that, in normal times, is much frequented by visitors from all over the world and all walks of life.

So if you don’t yet know the Genevan and other Swiss trails, why not seize this opportunity while the going is good because the Swiss authorities could still decide to impose a ban.

R.

Ritchie, Apr 8, 2020 @ 16:36
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 12

Can we legally cross the border to hike on the Saleve from May 11th? I'm finding it difficult to find border info from both the Swiss and French authorities. If I'm not allowed to I obviously won't, but it would be nice to know if we can.

The reason many in Geneva like to hike on the Saleve rather than somewhere in Switzerland is they can walk/bus there, and it seems a shame for the environment to drive somewhere to go hiking.

Can we legally cross the border to hike on the Saleve from May 11th? I'm finding it difficult to find border info from both the Swiss and French authorities. If I'm not allowed to I obviously won't, but it would be nice to know if we can.

The reason many in Geneva like to hike on the Saleve rather than somewhere in Switzerland is they can walk/bus there, and it seems a shame for the environment to drive somewhere to go hiking.

Steven T, May 3, 2020 @ 20:59
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 13

As far as Iknow te restrictions are not lifted in France but you can go anywhere in Switerland by public transport if you can avoid the social distancing and it is recommended tat te journeys be nottoo long.  But that gives you access to Vaud and west Valais without problem.  Tere are plenty of hikes in te Geneva canton itself

https://map.geo.admin.ch/?lang=fr&topic=ech&bgLayer=ch.swisstopo.pixelkarte-farbe&layers=ch.bav.haltestellen-oev,ch.swisstopo.swisstlm3d-wanderwege,ch.bafu.alpweiden-herdenschutzhunde,KML%7C%7Chttps:%2F%2Fwww.wandern.ch%2Ftmp%2Fclosedtrails%2Ffr-main.kml&layers_visibility=false,true,true,true&layers_opacity=1,1,0.5,1&E=2490964.29&N=1114565.52&zoom=7

The footpaths are marked in orange

Groups are still limited to 5 people

As far as Iknow te restrictions are not lifted in France but you can go anywhere in Switerland by public transport if you can avoid the social distancing and it is recommended tat te journeys be nottoo long.  But that gives you access to Vaud and west Valais without problem.  Tere are plenty of hikes in te Geneva canton itself

https://map.geo.admin.ch/?lang=fr&topic=ech&bgLayer=ch.swisstopo.pixelkarte-farbe&layers=ch.bav.haltestellen-oev,ch.swisstopo.swisstlm3d-wanderwege,ch.bafu.alpweiden-herdenschutzhunde,KML%7C%7Chttps:%2F%2Fwww.wandern.ch%2Ftmp%2Fclosedtrails%2Ffr-main.kml&layers_visibility=false,true,true,true&layers_opacity=1,1,0.5,1&E=2490964.29&N=1114565.52&zoom=7

The footpaths are marked in orange

Groups are still limited to 5 people

Paul E, May 3, 2020 @ 21:11
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 14

May 3, 20 20:59

Hi Steven, Klaba, et al

I don't know what restrictions you will face crossing into France. Crossing back into Switzerland is a lot more restrictive.

Your real problem, though, is that in France you are limited to walk out of your domicile, within 100 meters only, for exercise, and you have to carry with you a completed "attestation" with your name, address and other information. You can venture farther by car (there is no public transport) but only if you are going to shop for essentials or medications.

These restrictions are in place until 11 May. We don't know yet how they will be eased after that, but they will not be completely relaxed.

Look, I am itching to exercise, hike, go sailing in my boat, and resume other aspects of like, just as much as you are. But please consider the reason for these measures. Not only are they necessary to prevent unnecessary infections and deaths, but to stop transmission sooner, rather than later, so we can restore some degree of normality. Please, be patient. It is not too much to ask, given what is at stake. This is a very unusual historically unique situation.

Hi Steven, Klaba, et al

I don't know what restrictions you will face crossing into France. Crossing back into Switzerland is a lot more restrictive.

Your real problem, though, is that in France you are limited to walk out of your domicile, within 100 meters only, for exercise, and you have to carry with you a completed "attestation" with your name, address and other information. You can venture farther by car (there is no public transport) but only if you are going to shop for essentials or medications.

These restrictions are in place until 11 May. We don't know yet how they will be eased after that, but they will not be completely relaxed.

Look, I am itching to exercise, hike, go sailing in my boat, and resume other aspects of like, just as much as you are. But please consider the reason for these measures. Not only are they necessary to prevent unnecessary infections and deaths, but to stop transmission sooner, rather than later, so we can restore some degree of normality. Please, be patient. It is not too much to ask, given what is at stake. This is a very unusual historically unique situation.

JR M, May 4, 2020 @ 18:36
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 15

There might be an easing of restrictions in France after 11th May. Saw tis on a item posted bsy the Fédéeration Fran-çaise de Randonnée pédestre but it is onloy a might be and it does not mean thqt the border will be open

There might be an easing of restrictions in France after 11th May. Saw tis on a item posted bsy the Fédéeration Fran-çaise de Randonnée pédestre but it is onloy a might be and it does not mean thqt the border will be open

Paul E, May 6, 2020 @ 14:51
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 16

Restrictions are being lifted in France as of 11t May and it is posssible to go walking in groups of up to 10 people (still 5 in Swutzerland), keeping sociaél distancing and lots of other things but you must not travel more tan 100km from your place of residence. Does not help usin Switzerland much as te border remains closed for non essential travel

Restrictions are being lifted in France as of 11t May and it is posssible to go walking in groups of up to 10 people (still 5 in Swutzerland), keeping sociaél distancing and lots of other things but you must not travel more tan 100km from your place of residence. Does not help usin Switzerland much as te border remains closed for non essential travel

Paul E, May 8, 2020 @ 21:08
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 17

Hello! at this time of the year (beginning February).. do you know if there is ice in the mount saleve? I would like to go this weekend but do not have crampons. 

Hello! at this time of the year (beginning February).. do you know if there is ice in the mount saleve? I would like to go this weekend but do not have crampons. 

Noelia B, Feb 7, 2022 @ 13:47
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 18

Yes, there is currently some snow on Mount Salève and with temperatures hovering around zero between day and night there will also be ice in places. 

You can see this via webcam, and you can also see the plateau of Salève from many places in Geneva.

https://www.meteoblue.com/en/weather/webcams/mont-sal%C3%A8ve_france_2976458 (The view at "Bossey-North" is from the edge towards Geneva, but then it still goes further up).

Yes, there is currently some snow on Mount Salève and with temperatures hovering around zero between day and night there will also be ice in places. 

You can see this via webcam, and you can also see the plateau of Salève from many places in Geneva.

https://www.meteoblue.com/en/weather/webcams/mont-sal%C3%A8ve_france_2976458 (The view at "Bossey-North" is from the edge towards Geneva, but then it still goes further up).

Sven T, Feb 7, 2022 @ 14:35
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 19

I went last Sunday and didn't need crampons. But it did snow a bit since, and I'd advise to have a pair just in case. Otherwise, I'd wait at least until the snow is gone.

I went last Sunday and didn't need crampons. But it did snow a bit since, and I'd advise to have a pair just in case. Otherwise, I'd wait at least until the snow is gone.

Daniel P, Feb 10, 2022 @ 16:35
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 20

Head up around La Dole, very close and just as epic, if not better.

Head up around La Dole, very close and just as epic, if not better.

Chris Gilmour, Feb 10, 2022 @ 21:06
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 21

You can buy mini crampons which just clip over the boots.  Thje Dole is maybe not the best alternative as there is still a lot of snow on the north side (snow shoes) and probaly necessary towards the top if you approach from the south but you csn always got to St Cergue (possibly some snow but crampons not need or La Givrine where you can go to Vermeilley without snowshoes

You can buy mini crampons which just clip over the boots.  Thje Dole is maybe not the best alternative as there is still a lot of snow on the north side (snow shoes) and probaly necessary towards the top if you approach from the south but you csn always got to St Cergue (possibly some snow but crampons not need or La Givrine where you can go to Vermeilley without snowshoes

Paul E, Feb 10, 2022 @ 23:09
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
21 Replies | 2143 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form