Login or Sign Up

Forums in Geneva > Geneva > Housing in Geneva

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Housing in Geneva

Hello,

My name is Elva - I am originally from the PR China, but I have been living, studying and working in Australia (Melbourne) for the past 12 years.  So, I speak English fluently in addition to my native Mandarin Chinese. 

I am going to study a LL.M in International Law at the Graduate Institute of International and Developments Studies from September 2013.

I am in the process of looking for housing, which seems to be the most difficult task.  I have never been to Geneva before, and a bit nervous at the moment...

Does anyone know what the best way is to look for a rental place in Geneva?

Thanks in advance for your help!

The text you are quoting:

Hello,

My name is Elva - I am originally from the PR China, but I have been living, studying and working in Australia (Melbourne) for the past 12 years.  So, I speak English fluently in addition to my native Mandarin Chinese. 

I am going to study a LL.M in International Law at the Graduate Institute of International and Developments Studies from September 2013.

I am in the process of looking for housing, which seems to be the most difficult task.  I have never been to Geneva before, and a bit nervous at the moment...

Does anyone know what the best way is to look for a rental place in Geneva?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Elva ZMar 29, 2013 @ 05:04
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

6 Replies | 2378 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Housing in Geneva
Post 1

www.homegate.ch

www.immostreet.ch

Prepare an application file (proof of your revenue, of up to 3-month guarantee, a letter explaining your situation), visit the apartment in person, then go to the "regie" (rental agency) and give your application file immediately.

In the meanwhile find a temporary sublet or a residence-hotel while you are searching.

Whatever you think your maximal budget is, you will have to increase it, at least that's what happened to me, but I did find, in 8 days. Good luck!

www.homegate.ch

www.immostreet.ch

Prepare an application file (proof of your revenue, of up to 3-month guarantee, a letter explaining your situation), visit the apartment in person, then go to the "regie" (rental agency) and give your application file immediately.

In the meanwhile find a temporary sublet or a residence-hotel while you are searching.

Whatever you think your maximal budget is, you will have to increase it, at least that's what happened to me, but I did find, in 8 days. Good luck!

Del Daix, Mar 29, 2013 @ 10:20
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

First, ask the Institute if they can help you.

Next, contact the Housing Service of Geneva’s University.

Also, place an ad. on glocals’ Classifieds under “Housing Wanted”.

It’s best to start by renting a room in shared accommodation, as this will give you time to decide what you really need and can afford.

Be aware that housing is in short supply and prices are high, but don’t give up.  Most people find something to their taste and pocket within 3-4 months, hence the suggestion to take a temporary rental while you look around.

Good luck!   R.

First, ask the Institute if they can help you.

Next, contact the Housing Service of Geneva’s University.

Also, place an ad. on glocals’ Classifieds under “Housing Wanted”.

It’s best to start by renting a room in shared accommodation, as this will give you time to decide what you really need and can afford.

Be aware that housing is in short supply and prices are high, but don’t give up.  Most people find something to their taste and pocket within 3-4 months, hence the suggestion to take a temporary rental while you look around.

Good luck!   R.

Ritchie, Mar 29, 2013 @ 13:36
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

Thanks Del! Much appreicated!

Thanks Del! Much appreicated!

Elva Z, Mar 30, 2013 @ 05:44
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

Thanks Ritchie - Yes, I will apply for the Cite Universitaire de Geneve as well.

Your response is much appreicated!

Elva

Thanks Ritchie - Yes, I will apply for the Cite Universitaire de Geneve as well.

Your response is much appreicated!

Elva

Elva Z, Mar 30, 2013 @ 05:45
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5

Dearest Elva,

I am a mother of 3 grown up childrens and have a room available. Pls contact me [email protected]   

I can give you references.

Ch.Najjar

Dearest Elva,

I am a mother of 3 grown up childrens and have a room available. Pls contact me [email protected]   

Ch.Najjar

schneider-najjar charlotte, May 30, 2019 @ 10:38
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6

Dearest Elva,

Ch.Najjar

May 30, 19 10:38

Dear Charlotte:

Please look at the date of this thread.  It’s six years old.

And if you have accommodation to offer the best place to insert an ad. is in the Classifieds where you will also find requests from members who are looking for housing.

Best wishes,

R.

Dear Charlotte:

Please look at the date of this thread.  It’s six years old.

And if you have accommodation to offer the best place to insert an ad. is in the Classifieds where you will also find requests from members who are looking for housing.

Best wishes,

R.

Ritchie, May 30, 2019 @ 13:29
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
6 Replies | 2378 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form