Login or Sign Up

Forums in Geneva > Geneva > How to cut a big tree

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
How to cut a big tree

Hi,

I have 2 trees in the garden (about 6 and 8m tall) and need help to cut them. Also put onto a van and bring to the dechetterie. But I couldn't find anybody offering this service. Is it restricted?

I read that if I register at the dechetterie that I am coming, they should let me dispose of it for free but not sure if I need to show any proof (e.g that the tree was indeed mine, etc). Are the trees protected somehow? E.g that they should be only smaller than xx m to be cut down by myself?

Does anybody have any experience with this, please?

Thank you.

The text you are quoting:

Hi,

I have 2 trees in the garden (about 6 and 8m tall) and need help to cut them. Also put onto a van and bring to the dechetterie. But I couldn't find anybody offering this service. Is it restricted?

I read that if I register at the dechetterie that I am coming, they should let me dispose of it for free but not sure if I need to show any proof (e.g that the tree was indeed mine, etc). Are the trees protected somehow? E.g that they should be only smaller than xx m to be cut down by myself?

Does anybody have any experience with this, please?

Thank you.

klabaSep 2, 2023 @ 22:26
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

3 Replies | 389 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: How to cut a big tree
Post 1

Living in France, I have people pass by every two days offering such services. But you're probably in CH.

Do not underestimate the work of disposing of the wood. A tree of 8m has a huge quantity of wood. Make sure that you include it in the job of the entrepreneur.

Living in France, I have people pass by every two days offering such services. But you're probably in CH.

Do not underestimate the work of disposing of the wood. A tree of 8m has a huge quantity of wood. Make sure that you include it in the job of the entrepreneur.

tawb, Sep 5, 2023 @ 11:37
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

It mght be a good idea to go see your local mairie about this. You may need a permit to fell trees. It may depend on if they were there when  you arrived, or if you planted them yourself, where they are situated and what species they are.

Could be the Maire might arrange for someone from the local forestery commision to come  take a look.

if you are living in rented accomodation you will need the permision of the owner of the building,

If you can fell  the trees, make sure you are well insured for any damages that may occur whilst this takes place. In some occasions a felling company may have suitable insurance themselves and in some circumstances may even be interested to buy the wood from you, which may offset the cost, which could be quite high dependant on the circunstances..

This old thread from another expat website may be useful.

https://www.englishforum.ch/housing-general/312465-cutting-down-trees.html

It mght be a good idea to go see your local mairie about this. You may need a permit to fell trees. It may depend on if they were there when  you arrived, or if you planted them yourself, where they are situated and what species they are.

Could be the Maire might arrange for someone from the local forestery commision to come  take a look.

if you are living in rented accomodation you will need the permision of the owner of the building,

If you can fell  the trees, make sure you are well insured for any damages that may occur whilst this takes place. In some occasions a felling company may have suitable insurance themselves and in some circumstances may even be interested to buy the wood from you, which may offset the cost, which could be quite high dependant on the circunstances..

This old thread from another expat website may be useful.

https://www.englishforum.ch/housing-general/312465-cutting-down-trees.html

TogJay, Sep 6, 2023 @ 10:42
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

Hello, 

We recently had removed a really big tree from our place. You need to get authorisation from your local mairie.  We found a Swiss company who helped us with this process including disposal of the wood. Let me know if you would like the détails of this company.

Hello, 

We recently had removed a really big tree from our place. You need to get authorisation from your local mairie.  We found a Swiss company who helped us with this process including disposal of the wood. Let me know if you would like the détails of this company.

Cyfaith, Sep 14, 2023 @ 07:41
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
3 Replies | 389 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form