Login or Sign Up

Forums in Geneva > Geneva > Huge Thumbs Down to Geneva!!!

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Huge Thumbs Down to Geneva!!!

We wanted to come from the airport and go home to Evian-les-Bains. Nothing new there..... except that the whole of the Lakeside south of Cornevain and beyond, right up to Vesenaz was completely blocked off due to a cycle race.

For those of us who simply want to get home, this proved impossible and in tears and frustration, stopped one of the policeman blocking the roads and asked him how we were supposed to do this? We had already been round twice trying to find a way out of the mélange.

What right does the Ville de Genève have to completely block roads without giving any signs of deviations or explanations simply because there is what they term a "manifestation". BIG BLACK MARK VILLE DE GENEVE.

The text you are quoting:

We wanted to come from the airport and go home to Evian-les-Bains. Nothing new there..... except that the whole of the Lakeside south of Cornevain and beyond, right up to Vesenaz was completely blocked off due to a cycle race.

For those of us who simply want to get home, this proved impossible and in tears and frustration, stopped one of the policeman blocking the roads and asked him how we were supposed to do this? We had already been round twice trying to find a way out of the mélange.

What right does the Ville de Genève have to completely block roads without giving any signs of deviations or explanations simply because there is what they term a "manifestation". BIG BLACK MARK VILLE DE GENEVE.

sheila cMay 5, 2019 @ 14:03
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

32 Replies | 1684 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Huge Thumbs Down to Geneva!!!
Post 1

Sheila:

I agree with you that the blocking sucks. I get it that some folks appreciate the bike race and what it brings to the city, but personally - I'd rather the city stayed open even it meant the race didn't happen. 
But...
There have been signed for the past few weeks, in several major road intersections, about the coming blocks. So you're not right in assuming there were no warnings / explanations. 
Nir

Sheila:

I agree with you that the blocking sucks. I get it that some folks appreciate the bike race and what it brings to the city, but personally - I'd rather the city stayed open even it meant the race didn't happen. 
But...
There have been signed for the past few weeks, in several major road intersections, about the coming blocks. So you're not right in assuming there were no warnings / explanations. 
Nir

Nir Ofek, May 6, 2019 @ 13:49
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

Sheila:

But...
Nir

May 6, 19 13:49

And in case someone doesn’t yet know, the Geneva Marathon takes place next weekend, the 11th and 12th of May, so be prepared …

R.

And in case someone doesn’t yet know, the Geneva Marathon takes place next weekend, the 11th and 12th of May, so be prepared …

R.

Ritchie, May 6, 2019 @ 14:09
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

It sucks, but for next time, there are apps now that can give you an alternative route that takes into account those road blocks. Even Google maps works with road blocks now. I had to travel near Evian-les-bains yesterday and Google maps gave me an alternative route that only took 10-15 minutes more.

It sucks, but for next time, there are apps now that can give you an alternative route that takes into account those road blocks. Even Google maps works with road blocks now. I had to travel near Evian-les-bains yesterday and Google maps gave me an alternative route that only took 10-15 minutes more.

justine f, May 6, 2019 @ 14:17
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

Thanks folks. FYI we do not have a mobile = therefore no apps for us, neither are we on FB or any other social media.

Nir, although there are large signs at the intersections, yes, there are no signs diverting the traffic for those who have to travel through to LBF and who are stuck travelling from Cornevain to Vesenaz.

Still thumbs down I'm afraid. Still Big Black Mark

Thanks folks. FYI we do not have a mobile = therefore no apps for us, neither are we on FB or any other social media.

Nir, although there are large signs at the intersections, yes, there are no signs diverting the traffic for those who have to travel through to LBF and who are stuck travelling from Cornevain to Vesenaz.

Still thumbs down I'm afraid. Still Big Black Mark

sheila c, May 6, 2019 @ 14:25
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5

...because Geneva traffic is so fluid and breezy when there are no bike races and marathons...

..and those beautiful road works...pure pieces of art!

..oh and the road condition after the works are "complete"...

..take your sweet time my dear road workers! Take your time!

..here! More money for you! Make us proud!

...because Geneva traffic is so fluid and breezy when there are no bike races and marathons...

Lazz, May 7, 2019 @ 11:26
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6

Today @ 11:26

Right on!!!

Today @ 11:26

Right on!!!

sheila c, May 7, 2019 @ 11:52
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 7

Meanwhile Edinburgh is making its city centre car-free one day a month https://www.independent.co.uk/environment/edinburgh-air-pollution-open-streets-cars-old-town-a8901086.html

I'm sure there will be a load of car drivers whinging about that too.

Geneva organising more big events: Big Thumbs Up from me.

Meanwhile Edinburgh is making its city centre car-free one day a month https://www.independent.co.uk/environment/edinburgh-air-pollution-open-streets-cars-old-town-a8901086.html

I'm sure there will be a load of car drivers whinging about that too.

Geneva organising more big events: Big Thumbs Up from me.

adam_jeff, May 7, 2019 @ 12:05
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 8

Great news. Lots more closure this weekend.

I think the roads should just close all weekend in fact. 

https://www.harmonygenevemarathon.com/downloads/GUIDE_RIVERAINS_2019_444x210+2_mm_HDef.pdf

Great news. Lots more closure this weekend.

I think the roads should just close all weekend in fact. 

https://www.harmonygenevemarathon.com/downloads/GUIDE_RIVERAINS_2019_444x210+2_mm_HDef.pdf

John H, May 7, 2019 @ 15:02
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 9

...because Edinburgh and the environment are a direct comparison to Geneva and a bike race???

You are a few thousand kilometers and a few tons of carbon footprint off topic buddy

...because Edinburgh and the environment are a direct comparison to Geneva and a bike race???

You are a few thousand kilometers and a few tons of carbon footprint off topic buddy

Lazz, May 7, 2019 @ 16:04
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 10

I find the original post somewhat self-centred, insisting about the “right” to use the city-centre as a highway.

I have no special interest for bike-races, but it’s a good thing that one sometimes (very rarely) can use the quays for something else than motorised traffic. It’s not like you don’t have the option of taking another route, there are plenty of ways around.

Regularly, glocals members complain that Geneva is boring. For once, when something happens, we get complaints. Like jeff before me, I’m giving Geneva a big thumbs-up.

I’m also pretty sure that those who live in Geneva are glad to have a change from the incessant motor traffic.

BTW, like the OP, I also live out of town, and I also sometimes get caught in traffic. But I don’t complain about it, like a spoilt child.

I find the original post somewhat self-centred, insisting about the “right” to use the city-centre as a highway.

I have no special interest for bike-races, but it’s a good thing that one sometimes (very rarely) can use the quays for something else than motorised traffic. It’s not like you don’t have the option of taking another route, there are plenty of ways around.

Regularly, glocals members complain that Geneva is boring. For once, when something happens, we get complaints. Like jeff before me, I’m giving Geneva a big thumbs-up.

I’m also pretty sure that those who live in Geneva are glad to have a change from the incessant motor traffic.

BTW, like the OP, I also live out of town, and I also sometimes get caught in traffic. But I don’t complain about it, like a spoilt child.

tawb, May 8, 2019 @ 14:41
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 11

The road works are so stupid in this city... The amount of money wasted could have built a tunnel or new bridge. 

The city is not able to function with the amount of people already here. It going to get worse. 

The road works are so stupid in this city... The amount of money wasted could have built a tunnel or new bridge. 

The city is not able to function with the amount of people already here. It going to get worse. 

William M, May 8, 2019 @ 18:34
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 12

It's going to cause more pollution if they don't change it. 

The easy way to stop pollution is to make electric cars/vans affordable, but that won't happen.

People marching and protesting in the street will stop nothing. It makes things more congested. (like the other day). 

The easy way to stop pollution is to make electric cars/vans affordable, but that won't happen.

People marching and protesting in the street will stop nothing. It makes things more congested. (like the other day). 

William M, May 8, 2019 @ 19:33
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 13

May 8, 19 19:33

Could someone please explain what "It's gooing to cause more pollution if they don't change it" means?

Thanks for your enlightment.

R.

Could someone please explain what "It's gooing to cause more pollution if they don't change it" means?

Thanks for your enlightment.

R.

Ritchie, May 8, 2019 @ 22:37
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 14

That comment sums up how out of touch people are... haha 

What do you think it means? 

William M, May 8, 2019 @ 23:07
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 15

May 8, 19 23:07

So when folks don't understand what you write, it's because they're out of touch...right. There's another option: you don't write clearly. i also dont understand your post. 

So when folks don't understand what you write, it's because they're out of touch...right. There's another option: you don't write clearly. i also dont understand your post. 

Nir Ofek, May 8, 2019 @ 23:39
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 16

May 8, 19 23:07

Please allow me to quote you – namely,

“It’s going to cause more pollution if they don’t change it.”

So what, please, is the antecedent of “It’s”?

And, likewise, what is the antecedent of “it”?

Thanks, R.

Please allow me to quote you – namely,

“It’s going to cause more pollution if they don’t change it.”

So what, please, is the antecedent of “It’s”?

And, likewise, what is the antecedent of “it”?

Thanks, R.

Ritchie, May 9, 2019 @ 00:00
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 17

Grow up... It's a forum not an essay. 

I'M talking about the traffic and congestion problem. The road system needs changing (they need to change IT)

Good day

I'M talking about the traffic and congestion problem. The road system needs changing (they need to change IT)

Good day

William M, May 9, 2019 @ 07:11
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 18

Ritchie: anyone who doesn't understand William's posts is out of touch and not grown up enough. Now we know...

Ritchie: anyone who doesn't understand William's posts is out of touch and not grown up enough. Now we know...

Nir Ofek, May 9, 2019 @ 09:54
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 19

As a resident and taxpayer of Geneva, I fully support road closures for sports and cultural events.

Big thumbs up for Geneva!

As a resident and taxpayer of Geneva, I fully support road closures for sports and cultural events.

Big thumbs up for Geneva!

geojusto, May 9, 2019 @ 10:03
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 20

Irony on irony? Really? (did I just add another layer?)

Opinions on serious matters can be respected, provided there is solid/rational reasoning and argumentation in support of...and not because "I like it" or "I think it is fun"

The road network was conceived and built to transport humans and goods from point A to point B (C,D..), faster and safer. Demonstrations of any sort on public roads cause a disruption of the "normal" flow and rhythm of life.

Purposely closing/blocking one of the main arteries of an already heavily congested city that is unable to provide meaningful commuting solutions to its attracted foreign investors (...) is to say the least (...your comment here...)

Opinions on serious matters can be respected, provided there is solid/rational reasoning and argumentation in support of...and not because "I like it" or "I think it is fun"

The road network was conceived and built to transport humans and goods from point A to point B (C,D..), faster and safer. Demonstrations of any sort on public roads cause a disruption of the "normal" flow and rhythm of life.

Purposely closing/blocking one of the main arteries of an already heavily congested city that is unable to provide meaningful commuting solutions to its attracted foreign investors (...) is to say the least (...your comment here...)

Lazz, May 9, 2019 @ 12:20
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 21

Complaining and then insisting that we dont use any modern forms of infomation dissemination including having a mobile phone and online apps that might provide up to date information goes counter to the argument that no information is being provided.

Complaining and then insisting that we dont use any modern forms of infomation dissemination including having a mobile phone and online apps that might provide up to date information goes counter to the argument that no information is being provided.

JustChilling, May 9, 2019 @ 12:24
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 22

It's not only in Geneva, but in many other places in Switzerland. It's a trend.

https://www.slowup.ch/national/fr.html

slowUp - les journées découvertes sans voitures suisses

La recette des slowUp est aussi simple que convaincante: choisir environ 30 km de routes dans une contrée attrayante, les fermer pour une journée à tout trafic motorisé et prévoir un programme d'activités diverses le long du parcours. Cela donne une fête bien différente des autres où chacun y trouve son compte dans une atmosphère joyeuse et dans une ambiance sans autos, qu'il soit jeune ou moins jeune, en famille ou célibataire, porté sur le mouvement ou la contemplation.

Les parcours de slowUp sont si possible plats. Le rythme et la distance peuvent être choisis individuellement. Pour y aller et en revenir, le vélo, les rollers ou les transports publics sont recommandés. La participation est gratuite.

L'histoire du succès des slowUp est impressionnante. Le premier slowUp de Suisse a eu lieu en 2000 autour du lac de Morat dans le cadre du projet «Human Powered Mobility» d'Expo.02. Cette idée est devenue en quelques années un évènement national, l'un des plus grands sur le plan de la participation active. Chaque année, plus de 500'000 personnes participent l'un des 18 slowUp (situation en 2018).
Afin de pouvoir créer et diffuser une série nationale d'évènements, il était nécessaire de trouver une marque avec un nom unique pour toutes les régions linguistiques. Le choix s'est porté sur le mot artificiel «slowUp» qui dérive de «slow down – pleasure up» ce qui signifie «diminue l'allure – augmente le plaisir».
slowUp est une marque protégée. Celui qui veut organiser un slowUp doit présenter, à l'instance nationale, une demande de licence accompagnée du descriptif de la manifestation. Les critères de qualité des slowUp garantissent que les participants, les communes accueillant le parcours ainsi que les partenaires nationaux et régionaux en profitent de manière égale.
La liste actualisée des dates et lieux se trouve ICI.

It's not only in Geneva, but in many other places in Switzerland. It's a trend.

https://www.slowup.ch/national/fr.html

slowUp - les journées découvertes sans voitures suisses

La recette des slowUp est aussi simple que convaincante: choisir environ 30 km de routes dans une contrée attrayante, les fermer pour une journée à tout trafic motorisé et prévoir un programme d'activités diverses le long du parcours. Cela donne une fête bien différente des autres où chacun y trouve son compte dans une atmosphère joyeuse et dans une ambiance sans autos, qu'il soit jeune ou moins jeune, en famille ou célibataire, porté sur le mouvement ou la contemplation.

Les parcours de slowUp sont si possible plats. Le rythme et la distance peuvent être choisis individuellement. Pour y aller et en revenir, le vélo, les rollers ou les transports publics sont recommandés. La participation est gratuite.

L'histoire du succès des slowUp est impressionnante. Le premier slowUp de Suisse a eu lieu en 2000 autour du lac de Morat dans le cadre du projet «Human Powered Mobility» d'Expo.02. Cette idée est devenue en quelques années un évènement national, l'un des plus grands sur le plan de la participation active. Chaque année, plus de 500'000 personnes participent l'un des 18 slowUp (situation en 2018).
Afin de pouvoir créer et diffuser une série nationale d'évènements, il était nécessaire de trouver une marque avec un nom unique pour toutes les régions linguistiques. Le choix s'est porté sur le mot artificiel «slowUp» qui dérive de «slow down – pleasure up» ce qui signifie «diminue l'allure – augmente le plaisir».
slowUp est une marque protégée. Celui qui veut organiser un slowUp doit présenter, à l'instance nationale, une demande de licence accompagnée du descriptif de la manifestation. Les critères de qualité des slowUp garantissent que les participants, les communes accueillant le parcours ainsi que les partenaires nationaux et régionaux en profitent de manière égale.
La liste actualisée des dates et lieux se trouve ICI.

geojusto, May 9, 2019 @ 12:34
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 23

Good day

May 9, 19 07:11

So sorry, I wasn’t aware that one had to be “grown up” in order to take part in a Forum discussion.  Will I be able to join when I’m 18?  And do you need to see my ID card?

In the meantime,would it be possible for you to give me another free lesson and explain who “they” might be?.

Ta ever so,

R.

So sorry, I wasn’t aware that one had to be “grown up” in order to take part in a Forum discussion.  Will I be able to join when I’m 18?  And do you need to see my ID card?

In the meantime,would it be possible for you to give me another free lesson and explain who “they” might be?.

Ta ever so,

R.

Ritchie, May 9, 2019 @ 15:17
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 24

May 9, 19 12:20

Geneva is Disneyland. Go to Nairobi, Bangkok, Mexico City, Paris, New York, London, and then please let us know if you still want to keep complaining about the traffic in Geneva. 98% of the world's population lives in places with a lower quality of life.

Geneva is Disneyland. Go to Nairobi, Bangkok, Mexico City, Paris, New York, London, and then please let us know if you still want to keep complaining about the traffic in Geneva. 98% of the world's population lives in places with a lower quality of life.

carolyn buff, May 9, 2019 @ 20:49
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 25

https://lenews.ch/2017/02/21/geneva-has-switzerlands-worst-traffic-ranking-ahead-of-new-york/

! Report to Admin
Post 26

https://lenews.ch/2017/02/21/geneva-has-switzerlands-worst-traffic-ranking-ahead-of-new-york/

May 9, 19 21:54

This report is very car-centric, so it only shows a small part of the picture.

Geneva, like most other Swiss towns, is concentrating not on car traffic, but on improving other forms of transport, e.g. public transport. The fact that Geneva has worse traffic than other Swiss towns is partially due to the bad public transport, especially in neighouring France, where development has been done with zero thoughts about transport.

That said, I have friends who happily cross the lake every day by car, so the conditions cannot be all that bad.

This report is very car-centric, so it only shows a small part of the picture.

Geneva, like most other Swiss towns, is concentrating not on car traffic, but on improving other forms of transport, e.g. public transport. The fact that Geneva has worse traffic than other Swiss towns is partially due to the bad public transport, especially in neighouring France, where development has been done with zero thoughts about transport.

That said, I have friends who happily cross the lake every day by car, so the conditions cannot be all that bad.

tawb, May 10, 2019 @ 13:19
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 27

When you read all the posts here , it s very “partisan” . Wisdom is always an equilibrium between different or even opposite opinions.

so if you want to weigh things fairly

1. It is good that Geneva has such events like car racing, or many other special events, it is quite interesting.

2. For the case of lady Sheila, upset about the road jam, well one must use compassion when you judge people. First she came from a flight, she was tired, she is also retired, and elder people have needs, and they we must understand that. This is the reason she is not using these “smart” phones and all the applications, which are not natural at all, for someone who spent most of his life in the 20th century, with paper maps.

in conclusion is that , it is good we have special events in GVA, but also a better effort should have been done to help people to get back home. Elder people all rejected in our modern societies, most of the notes are written very small , this technology Gap Is not also taken in account. As if everYonne should have modern navigation tools! I know the huge majority of the population has such tools, but we must take in consideration every body in our societies. we Need to take care of everyone, speciall the fragile ones in our societies, with compassion and respect

When you read all the posts here , it s very “partisan” . Wisdom is always an equilibrium between different or even opposite opinions.

so if you want to weigh things fairly

1. It is good that Geneva has such events like car racing, or many other special events, it is quite interesting.

2. For the case of lady Sheila, upset about the road jam, well one must use compassion when you judge people. First she came from a flight, she was tired, she is also retired, and elder people have needs, and they we must understand that. This is the reason she is not using these “smart” phones and all the applications, which are not natural at all, for someone who spent most of his life in the 20th century, with paper maps.

in conclusion is that , it is good we have special events in GVA, but also a better effort should have been done to help people to get back home. Elder people all rejected in our modern societies, most of the notes are written very small , this technology Gap Is not also taken in account. As if everYonne should have modern navigation tools! I know the huge majority of the population has such tools, but we must take in consideration every body in our societies. we Need to take care of everyone, speciall the fragile ones in our societies, with compassion and respect

gaudi, May 11, 2019 @ 01:39
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 28

Sorry , cycle race and not car race indeed. 

Sorry , cycle race and not car race indeed. 

gaudi, May 11, 2019 @ 01:41
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 29

@gaudi, thanks for nudging everyone to take on a more empathetic, understanding, attitude in this discussion :-)

@gaudi, thanks for nudging everyone to take on a more empathetic, understanding, attitude in this discussion :-)

Fares E, May 11, 2019 @ 07:52
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 30

« because the way that you judge others will be the way that you will be judged, and you will be evaluated by the standard with which you evaluate others »Matthew 7:2

« because the way that you judge others will be the way that you will be judged, and you will be evaluated by the standard with which you evaluate others »Matthew 7:2

gaudi, May 11, 2019 @ 09:03
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 31

Apps or no apps, it is really depressing that when you get to a road block, even if the administration had the good sense to deploy some policemen to organise the traffic chaos, very often they are just there to make sure you don't enter the fordbidden area, but if you go them for help and ask them: "ok, so now how do I get to B when the road is blocked? ... most of the times they have no idea or they send you in the wrong direction.

Apps or no apps, it is really depressing that when you get to a road block, even if the administration had the good sense to deploy some policemen to organise the traffic chaos, very often they are just there to make sure you don't enter the fordbidden area, but if you go them for help and ask them: "ok, so now how do I get to B when the road is blocked? ... most of the times they have no idea or they send you in the wrong direction.

ajimenezp, May 11, 2019 @ 11:09
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 32

In thanking Gaudi for his compassionate contribution, I would also like to add a word or two about “apps” and mobile phones in general.

First and foremost, these innovations, useful though they may be, cost money and there are plenty of folk, both young and old, who cannot afford them.

Others again may have a physical impairment which makes a phone tricky to use – if you’re on crutches, for example, or have visual or audible impairment.

(Yes, I know there are specially adapted models but they aren’t dinky in size or cost.)

In any event, I don’t see why anyone should be obliged to acquire a gadget if they don’t want to.

In sum, while I’m all for “attractions” in Geneva, I do think the powers that be should give more prior thought to their impact on the people who live and work in Geneva because they are the ones who contribute and ensure its prosperity all year round.

In thanking Gaudi for his compassionate contribution, I would also like to add a word or two about “apps” and mobile phones in general.

First and foremost, these innovations, useful though they may be, cost money and there are plenty of folk, both young and old, who cannot afford them.

Others again may have a physical impairment which makes a phone tricky to use – if you’re on crutches, for example, or have visual or audible impairment.

(Yes, I know there are specially adapted models but they aren’t dinky in size or cost.)

In any event, I don’t see why anyone should be obliged to acquire a gadget if they don’t want to.

In sum, while I’m all for “attractions” in Geneva, I do think the powers that be should give more prior thought to their impact on the people who live and work in Geneva because they are the ones who contribute and ensure its prosperity all year round.

Ritchie, May 11, 2019 @ 11:51
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
32 Replies | 1684 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form