Login or Sign Up

Forums in Geneva > Geneva > Info about living in France near Geneva

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Info about living in France near Geneva

We're going to have to move from Geneva to France and I'm searching various forums to find other people who made the transition and can comment on:

-What is it like for a child to enter the French school system if they have been used to international schools?

-How different are different collèges and do people particularly recommend some?

-Is it true that primary healthcare / GPs are really scarce in the neighbouring France, and does that along with the lack of hospitals mean you should still get insurance cover for Switzerland?

-What are the key things to watch out for when moving, finding an apartment, etc.?

If anyone has suggestions on a good forum where this is being discussed, I'd be very grateful.

The text you are quoting:

We're going to have to move from Geneva to France and I'm searching various forums to find other people who made the transition and can comment on:

-What is it like for a child to enter the French school system if they have been used to international schools?

-How different are different collèges and do people particularly recommend some?

-Is it true that primary healthcare / GPs are really scarce in the neighbouring France, and does that along with the lack of hospitals mean you should still get insurance cover for Switzerland?

-What are the key things to watch out for when moving, finding an apartment, etc.?

If anyone has suggestions on a good forum where this is being discussed, I'd be very grateful.

Leif RJun 15, 2020 @ 09:02
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

4 Replies | 1084 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Info about living in France near Geneva
Post 1

Hello Leif,

I attended the Collège et Lycée International of Ferney and I would recommend it. They have international sections too.

I'm not sure about the rest of your points but I think it's quite different whether you live in the Pays de Gex or in Haute Savoie. I see the former more as an international suburb of Geneva, with the Lycée for example, whereas the latter is more built up and has its own urban centers, with a hospital there for example. Since you ask about ameneties, it would be quite a different situation depending on which side you go.

Hello Leif,

I attended the Collège et Lycée International of Ferney and I would recommend it. They have international sections too.

I'm not sure about the rest of your points but I think it's quite different whether you live in the Pays de Gex or in Haute Savoie. I see the former more as an international suburb of Geneva, with the Lycée for example, whereas the latter is more built up and has its own urban centers, with a hospital there for example. Since you ask about ameneties, it would be quite a different situation depending on which side you go.

Francois F, Jun 26, 2020 @ 09:16
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

I certainly reccomend having a Swiss health insurance. (And if you have a high salary, I'm not even sure that it's very much more expensive,)

I certainly reccomend having a Swiss health insurance. (And if you have a high salary, I'm not even sure that it's very much more expensive,)

tawb, Jun 28, 2020 @ 22:55
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

Here is a dedicated Forum (in French) discussing all the aspects of life for frontaliers, including health insurance, finances, schools, etc:

https://www.frontalier.org/

Good luck with your move!

Here is a dedicated Forum (in French) discussing all the aspects of life for frontaliers, including health insurance, finances, schools, etc:

https://www.frontalier.org/

Good luck with your move!

Slava Sviridovs, Jun 29, 2020 @ 10:07
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

I live in Pays de Gex, France and had children that moved to the local system from an international setting years ago.

Peronally I love living here, its a perfect mix of cuntryside on one side and a city on the other and it is way more affordabel than Geneva however my chldren had a very hard time in the local school system, there was some bullying involved and the teaching style is quite different from an American or International school.

As for the Medical Care, it is true that there is a shortage, and times one has to wait for months to get an appointment.

Good luck!

I live in Pays de Gex, France and had children that moved to the local system from an international setting years ago.

Peronally I love living here, its a perfect mix of cuntryside on one side and a city on the other and it is way more affordabel than Geneva however my chldren had a very hard time in the local school system, there was some bullying involved and the teaching style is quite different from an American or International school.

As for the Medical Care, it is true that there is a shortage, and times one has to wait for months to get an appointment.

Good luck!

Vera L, Aug 27, 2020 @ 14:11
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
4 Replies | 1084 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form